Letters to the Editor 2019

NOTE: The Cape May County Herald is offering full coverage of the COVID-19 / coronavirus emergency to all, with no payment required. We are committed to ensuring our readers can make critical decisions for themselves and their families during this ongoing situation. To continue supporting this vital reporting, please consider a digital subscription or contribution. For more coverage, subscribe to our daily newsletter.

To the Editor:

I spent a considerable portion of my professional career dealing with statistics. Take lightning, for instance. The odds of getting struck are one in 750,000.

Now, look at the rate of COVID-19 infection. With a national population of 331 million and 2.1 million infections, the rate is much more frequent: one in 158. That means we are 4,747 times more likely to get infected by COVID-19 than be struck by lightning, but don’t panic.

Let’s look at COVID-19 from a different perspective. With a population of 331 million and 2.1 million infections, we have only a 0.6% chance of infection. That means we have a 99.4% chance of not getting infected. Sounds much safer, doesn’t it? Don’t relax.

COVID-19 is still a dangerous critter. Everyone should stay safe and take reasonable precautions.

You may be 4,747 times more likely to get infected by COVID-19 than getting struck by lightning, but you wouldn’t run around outside in a lightning storm, would you?