STONE HARBOR - Stone Harbor Borough Council heard a presentation Aug. 20 on the conceptual design of Beach Patrol Headquarters. The building would be located on the site of the existing facility at 95th Street and the beach.
The beach patrol was established in 1912 and has a 107-year history in the borough. A building assessment of the beach patrol facility was provided by the borough engineer in December. William McLees Architecture has been at work on a conceptual design.
According to the architects, the existing building suffers from water infiltration, settlement issues, a lack of appropriate heating and cooling systems, and accelerated wear.
The design calls for a structure with two floors and a crow’s nest. The first floor would house boats, vehicles, storage, and locker areas. The second floor is laid out for office areas and a break room.
The building would be used for beach-tag sales.
Restroom facilities would also be redone, with access in the same general area, but further north to allow for a circular drive drop-off point at the beach entrance.