Spring is here, which means it’s time to compose that annual “spring cleaning” checklist. Believe it or not, heat pump and AC maintenance are two of spring’s most important tasks, but are often neglected by homeowners. Follow these checklists to ensure that your unit will be up and running just in time for warmer seasons, and ready to take on next winter.
Heat Pump Maintenance To-Do’s:
1. Clean your outdoor unit. Remove the unit’s grille, then insert a hose between the fan blades to remove dirt, leaves and debris.
2. Check piping. Piping insulation can deteriorate in the winter elements. Inspect the piping and replace insulation if you find any deterioration.
3. Inspect the filter. Ask a certified heating/cooling contractor to show you how to properly inspect, clean, and change air filters. A dirty filter can increase energy costs and damage your equipment, leading to early failure. If the filter is clogged or looks dirty, it should be washed or replaced with a new one.
4. Schedule a spring tune-up with a local heating and cooling professional. These pros can make the necessary adjustments to ensure that your heat pump continues to operate efficiently for years to come.
Air Conditioning Preparation:
1. Check thermostat settings to ensure the cooling system keeps you comfortable when you are home and saves energy while you are away.
2. Tighten all electrical connections and measure voltage and current on motors. Faulty electrical connections can cause unsafe operations and reduce the life of major parts.
3. Lubricate all moving parts. Parts that lack lubrication cause friction in motors and lead to increases in electricity usage.
4. Check and inspect the condensate drain. A plugged drain can cause water damage in the house and affect indoor humidity levels.
5. Check the starting cycle of the equipment to assure the system starts, operates and shuts off properly and safely.
6. Clean evaporator and condenser coils. Dirty coils reduce the system’s overall ability and cause it to run longer, increasing energy costs.
7. Clean and adjust blower components to provide proper system airflow.
To schedule your spring check-up, contact Bowman's Cooling and Heating at (609) 522-0121. For more information, visit www.bowmansair.com.