COURT HOUSE - Cape May County Department of Health and CompleteCare Health Network are partnering to open a drive-thru COVID-19 testing site.
The drive-thru will be by appointment only, once a week. According to a release, at this time, testing will only be for CompleteCare patients, as well as Cape May County residents, who are sick with symptoms of fever, cough and shortness of breath and that meet certain criteria. Symptomatic first responders who are residents of the county will also be given priority testing. In order to receive testing, individuals can go to CompleteCareNJ.org/COVID19 or call 609-465-0258 and request to be screened.
“Most individuals have mild symptoms and are able to recover at home. If you can maintain your symptoms at home, we urge you to do so. Testing requires personal protective equipment, which we want to preserve for our first responders,” stated Kevin Thomas, Health Officer.
The testing site is not being disclosed to protect the confidentiality and safety of our residents.
The location of the testing site will be given to individuals who are approved for testing and have been explained the proper procedures.
The testing site will be by appointment only to assure a timely and efficient flow.
Those who feel that they should be tested visit CompleteCareNJ.org/COVID19 or call (609) 465-0258 and request an appointment to be screened by a provider.
Once an individual is approved for testing a prescription will be electronically sent to the health department and Cape May County Department of Health will call the patient with an appointment time and location.
CompleteCare accepts Medicaid, Medicare as well as private insurance plans and those without insurance. The test will be free of charge and no co-pay will be required for the screening. Translation services are available for those in need.
The Cape May County Department of Health and CompleteCare Health Network will work to ensure people are informed of their results in a timely manner. There is no vaccine or treatment currently for COVID-19, the best thing to do is protect yourself. Steps to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 if you are sick include:
- Stay home except to get medical care. Most individuals with COVID-19 have mild illness and can recover at home without medical care. It is important that you do not leave your home, except to get medical care.
- Stay in touch with your doctor. Call before you get medical care. Make sure you to get care if you are having trouble breathing.
- Monitor your symptoms. Common symptoms include fever and cough. Trouble breathing is a more serious symptom that means you should get medical attention but call first.
- Do not visit public places and avoid public transportation.
- Separate yourself from other people in your home, this is known as “home isolation”. You want to stay away from others as much as possible. Create a “sick room” if possible.
- Call your doctor ahead before visiting. Many medical visits for routine care are being postponed or done by phone or telemedicine.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes. Clean your hands often. Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid sharing personal household items.
- Clean all “high-touch” surfaces every day.
CompleteCare is not testing patients for COVID-19 at its health centers. Do not come to any CompleteCare location or the Health Department for testing. If symptoms worsen, individuals should immediately contact their healthcare provider. Be sure to call before going to any healthcare facility to assure they take the proper precautions.
Stay up to date on the current situation as it evolves. Some reliable sources are New Jersey Poison Information and Education System hotline at 211 or 1-800-962-1253, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at www.cdc.gov, the World Health Organization at www.who.int, the New Jersey Department of Health at COVID19.nj.gov. For additional information visit Cape May County Department of Health at www.cmchealth.net, also like us on Facebook.