James P. Rodgers, 75, of Philadelphia and Stone Harbor, NJ. A retired Father Judge High School teacher of Spanish died November 21, 2019 of cancer.Jim was born and raised in Philadelphia. He graduated from Roman Catholic High School in 1962 and from LaSalle University in 1966. He served in the U.S Army and attained the rank of First Lieutenant.After his Army service Jim began his teaching career at Father Judge High School in the Northeast section of the city. He taught there for 33 years and was, for many years, also the chairperson of the World Languages Department.Although a Philadelphian and avid travler, Jim especially loved spending his summers in Stone Harbor, NJ. He summered for over 50 years in his favorite town with his husband Jim Smyth.At his request there will be no funeral services. Instead Jim has asked for private prayers on his behalf. If desired donations in his name should be made to the Father Judge Scholarship Program, 3301 Solly Ave. Phila., PA 19106. Condolences at burnsfuneralhome.com.
NOTE: The Cape May County Herald is offering full coverage of the COVID-19 / coronavirus emergency to all, with no payment required. We are committed to ensuring our readers can make critical decisions for themselves and their families during this ongoing situation. To continue supporting this vital reporting, please consider a digital subscription or contribution. For more coverage, subscribe to our daily newsletter.
- Labor Department Offers Extended Benefits to Unemployed NJ Workers
- Pennsylvania Man Drowns at Avalon Beach
- 6-year-old Philadelphia Boy Drowns at Wildwood Pool
- County's Up 2 Cases, 1 Death; Young Out-of-County Adults Yield Positive Tests
- Public's Help Sought to ID Suspected Thieves
- Crest Man Killed After Being Struck by a Vehicle in Delaware
- Public's Help Sought to ID Suspected Shoplifter
- Out-of-County Cases Reported in July 1 COVID-19 Update
- County's Up 9 New COVID-19 Cases, 1 Care Facility Case Announced
- County Reports 4 New COVID-19 Cases
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular videos.
- Wildwood - Why is Trump defending the confederate flag?
- Middle Township - Since my previous spout off says it was published 7/1 and it want't, here is a condensed version. Don't defund the police. Defund the politicians who by their silence are condoning the...
- Ocean City - A couple of days ago, a Toledo Ohio police officer went to a call about an intoxicated man in a mall parking lot. That sounds like an ideal situation to send social worker. The social worker could...
- North Wildwood - We can all breathe easy, America. Donald Trump's got this. A deadly pandemic is tearing through the country, but the statues are going to be all right.Yes you read correctly! Trump is moving...
- Town Bank - I am so pleased to see Colin's column this week. He is developing a view and showing maturity beyond his years. As an old-timer, I was informed and feel the next generation will do good to...