John Beckermeyer, age 72 of Rio Grande, NJ was called home to be with the Lord on Thursday, February 4, 2021 after many years suffering with Alzheimer's. John was born in Philadelphia to the late Nancy and John Beckermeyer, Sr. John enlisted in the US Marine Corps in 1966 and served 4 years Active Duty with 2 of those years in Vietnam with Fox 2/5. He later enlisted in the US Marine Corps Reserve and retired after 26 years as a SgtMaj in Civil Affairs in Washington, DC. He also retired after 29 years at the Philadelphia Department of Prisons as a Deputy Warden. John spent many hours reading, listening and singing along to his favorite music especially Frank Sinatra and golfing when he had the time. He was a part-time ranger for a few years at the Stone Harbor Golf Club, a school bus aid for the Middle Twp. elementary students and he also sang for a few years with the Harmoniers, a group that entertained part-time in the surrounding Shore areas in the Summer months and at Holidays.John is survived by his wife of 49 years Ruth (nee Leone) and sons Jonathan (Jackie) and Brandon, and his precious granddaughter Ava, his aunt Georgette Strano of Florida and cousins. He is predeceased by his parents, and brother Russell D’Agata. A Memorial Service will be held at a later time. Donations in his memory can be made to the Alzheimer's Association at www.alz.org. Condolences can be shared at www.EvoyFuneralHome.com.
NOTE: The Cape May County Herald is offering full coverage of the COVID-19 / coronavirus emergency to all, with no payment required. We are committed to ensuring our readers can make critical decisions for themselves and their families during this ongoing situation. To continue supporting this vital reporting, please consider a digital subscription or contribution. For more coverage, subscribe to our daily newsletter.
- Marijuana Bills Signed into Law
- Indictments Filed Feb. 16
- Lower Man Dies from Covid; 35 New Cases Reported
- Frederick’s Suit Dismissed
- Lower Woman Dies from Covid; 44 New Cases Reported
- Fight Call Leads to Gun, Drug Charges
- Additional Arrest Made in Connection with Wildwood Carjacking
- County Loses 2 to Covid; 40 New Cases Reported
- Middle Township Police Department Activity Report, Adult Arrests Dec. 21-27, 2021
- Capacity Limits Loosened for Religious Services, Sporting Events
- Sea Isle City - “Our office obtained the records (Trump et al)on Monday," said Vance (Manhattan DA) spokesman Danny Frost.” We now have two gold star states, NY State (tax)alongside Georgia (investigating...
- North Cape May - The New Jersey's teachers Union must be loving our governor ,who will be raising our taxes in his budget to help their pension .
- Cape May Court House - The vaccine roll out in Cape May County has been less than satisfactory. I am a 70 year old woman with 3 pre existing conditions. I have registered through the NJ state website 2 months ago. My...
- North Wildwood - My wife hates the new mail Trucks in Wildwood. She says that she can no longer hear them coming. She has mail laying on the end table. It's been there for 3 days. Guess we have to go out and...
- Clermont - Our county commissioners were going to get our Full Service MVC back in North Cape May. WHEN ?!