AVALON - American Legion Post 331 and the Borough of Avalon held a Veterans Day ceremony Nov. 11, at Veterans Plaza, in Avalon. The ceremony was held to honor the brave men and women with us and those who are deceased who served the country.
According to a release, American Legion Post Commander Tom McCullough and Avalon Mayor Martin Pagliughi provided comments during the ceremony. A musical selection of the Star-Spangled Banner was performed by students from Avalon Elementary School. The ceremony included the presentation of memorial wreaths, presentation of colors, and a rifle salute.
Avalon Police Chief Jeffrey Christopher was invited to discuss a new 22 push up challenge initiative. Christopher noted that approximately 22 veterans lose their lives every day from suicide due to post traumatic stress disorder. Videos will be posted by the police department on its social media page for 22 days.
Challenges made and accepted will result in money being raised for Veterans Haven South, located in Hammonton, which treats veterans who have PTSD.
- Middle Man Dies from COVID-19; 68 New Cases Reported
- UPDATE: Search for Missing Man Suspended
- Wildwood Agrees to Settlement with Woman in '18 Beach Arrest
- Middle Woman Dies from COVID-19; 58 New Cases Reported
- Burleigh Man Charged with Attempted Murder
- OC Loses 2 to COVID-19; 51 New Cases Reported
- Cape Regional: Fewer COVID-19 Patients, More in ICU
- County Loses 3 to COVID-19; 54 New Cases Reported
- 2 Face Charges After Motor Vehicle Stop Yields Drugs, Weapon
- County Reports 40 New COVID-19 Cases
- Cape May - To the Spouter that makes claims Mullock will cause chaos. You are uninformed. The outgoing Lear/Hendricks click have done nothing to cooperate with DEP, Army Corps and other agencies. CM needs to...
- Rio Grande - The MT spouter was right about how good the MT school district was when Dr. Johnson was superintendent. The last good superintendent we’ve had was Dr. Elder. MT schools went downhill after Elder...
- Villas - I want to thank all of the Grandparents,Aunts and Uncles that have been helping out their families feed their children.I know my Mom cares about my kids but I went to her house to visit her and thank...
- Lower Township - RE; to the Cape May spouter about electric cars and the North Cape May spouter, I too will drive my big gas sucking Pick Up! I can't wait to see, "battery powered ship's" that...
- Villas - Second home owner the reason locals don't accept you is you come here with mighty attitudes like you own the place & treat locals like peasants. Now you want to have a say in elections...