Details for MURPHY, OWEN
Owen taught English and literature at private and public schools in New Jersey, Connecticut and Florida.
Born October 4, 1940 in Manhattan to Owen and Marion Murphy, his father was a musical-comedy songwriter in the 1920’s. His mother danced professionally on Broadway.
Owen was raised in Ho-Ho-Kus, New Jersey, and graduated from Notre Dame. In the 1960’s and ‘70’s he lived on the Jersey Shore in Stone Harbor, where he relished body-surfing and playing and singing the folk-songs of the era.
In the early ‘90’s, he helped his, by then, widowed mother make a move to Delray Beach, FLorida. He continued to teach with concentration on private tutoring. Owen was beloved by his students and remained a part of the lives of many of them as they grew into adulthood.
In recent years he savored daily beach walks and was known for awhile as the guy who flew enormous whimsical kites. “I think of it as painting the sky,” Owen told a newspaper reporter.
He died on October 6, 2020 after a brief hospitalization for complications resulting from a fall.
Owen is predeceased by his sister, Susan, and survived by his brother, Dennis, and sister-in-law, Marilyn, both also of Delray Beach.
Herald Classifieds WORK! Place your ad on our website and in the upcoming print edition.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the holiday, classified advertising deadline for the SEPTEMBER 9 print edition of the Herald is 11am, Friday, SEPTEMBER 4..
Please login before placing your ad.To place your order through the call center, contact us M-F, 9am-5pm at 609-886,8600, x33 or Classifieds@cmcHerald.com.
- Court House Man Found Dead in Soccer Field Port-a-potty
- SIC Man Dies from COVID-19; 9 New Cases Reported
- S. Dennis Man Indicted for Sex Assault on Minor, Other Charges
- Marmora Member of Philadelphia Crime Family Sentenced for Selling Drugs
- Upper Committeeman Resigns Over Sexually Suggestive Facebook Posts of VP Candidate Harris
- County COVID-19 Hospitalizations Low as NJ’s Grow
- Wildwood PD: Dispute Probe Yields Drugs, Weapons; 2 Arrested
- Woodbine Girl, 10, Awaits Kidney for Transplant
- County Reports 14 COVID-19 Cases, 1 Non-resident Case
- County Reports 15 New COVID-19 Cases
- Sea Isle City - Why in our water bills did we receive a notice basically saying a Community Center is being built? Really, now...Len who are you listening too! This is not wanted. An increase in property tax is not...
- Eldora - It was very interesting to read that the WW2 Naval Aviators training at NAS Wildwood were dropping practice bombs in the Eldora area of the county. Does anyone reading this know about it, and where...
- Cape May County - Middle Township had a drug overdose at the Boys Soccer game the other day! This Coronavirus pandemic is causing a lot of mental issues with people. So sad to hear when an individual is found in a...
- West Wildwood - Wildwood fires our Mayor from the administrators position several months ago. N. Wildwood has fired the code enforcement officer and our mayor hires him a week later. Why do we need to hire rejects...
- Cape May - Please don't forget that President Trump has repeatedly told us that we should not vote by mail and that all good Republicans should vote in person on Election Day. More than ever, Republicans...