Cape May County Forum
Cape May County Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile      Log inLog in 

Spout Off Print Version 8/29 -9/4

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cape May County Forum Forum Index -> Spout Off - The PRINTED EDITION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdminPHPBB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Spout Off Print Version 8/29 -9/4 Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Stone Harbor's sidewalk sale is great, but I think it's time they closed off that block of 96th Street (same as the Sail into Summer promotion) to allow more room for the merchants and shoppers - too big now for just the sidewalk.
—Avalon

All Rio Grande residents living on Teal Road and David Road area: Make sure your cars are locked at all times. I had several expensive items stolen out of my car on Sunday night/Monday morning by someone. Parents need to watch what their children are bringing home and hold them accountable for what they do. If it isn't theirs, then ask them where they got it.
—Rio Grande
I would just like to say that this is my 10th season as a homeowner in Stone Harbor, and every year I appreciate the peacefulness of spending my summers here with my family. Once you cross the bridge, your troubles leave you and the fresh air reminds you of what to be grateful for in life.
—Stone Harbor
I saw/heard a blonde haired man in a Hyundai Elantra driving on Atlantic Avenue with his windows down listening to a romance novel on tape. It was worse than listening to rap music because the small children could actually understand what was being said.
—Ocean City
The solution to Stone Harbor's "rec center" seems rather simple. Stone Harbor classes are so small that two grade levels are combined with one teacher. Not an ideal situation for children or teachers. Stone Harbor should merge its school with Avalon and call it Seven Mile Island School, housed in the Avalon school building. The Stone Harbor School could then be converted to a Community Center with plenty of space for parking. A "win-win" for Stone Harbor — a better learning environment for the children and a huge saving to taxpayers in not having to construct a new building as a Rec center.
—Avalon
Time for another volunteer session. Volunteers are wanted to plant dune grass. It's a joke; nobody cares. Children and others plant the grass then beachfront property owners damage the dunes digging them out to provide front yards and parking areas that do not belong to them. This property is city-owned and supposedly maintained to provide protection during storms. You complain and the city, state nor any other agency listens. It's a joke until the next storm hits.
—Sea Isle City
Parents, where were you at 2 a.m. Aug. 29 when your kids were at the north end of Villas stealing boat trailers and lawn chairs and trying to cause an accident on Delaware Avenue by blocking the street? This is your responsibility as parents to know where your children are 24 hours a day. You’ll be the first to complain when they become guests at Bayside in Leesburg.
—Villas

Have you ever driven down 26th Street on a Friday or Saturday night and seen all of the cars parked illegally on the side of the road by the boardwalk? Why is this? The cops are right at the top of the ramp; can't they see this?
—Wildwood
This is to the spouter spouting off about other spouters using Spout Off to spout about issues they perceive to be non-spout worthy (third week of August Herald). Is this not America? Or maybe you'd prefer to live under Taliban rule?
—Avalon
We need a McDonalds in Avalon badly. The underused Veterans Plaza could be converted into a McDonalds. It could have a veteran’s theme with pictures of our armed forces all around. All military people and boy scouts would always receive free Freedom Fries. They could have a male and female Ronald McDonald in various military uniforms to honor those who protect our free economy. There is room for a drive through and the whole place could be the centerpiece of the Memorial Day parade. I heard Eisenhower cut the ribbon at the first McDonalds in Gettysburg so this is totally appropriate.
—Avalon

Rename 34th Street to Martin Luther King Street — not a good idea, not because it's not warranted but when you start renaming streets when does it end? Look at Philadelphia - East River Drive, West River Drive, Delaware Avenue all renamed. What's on tap for Avalon? RJ Soens Avenue, Earl Detwieller Drive? Let’s not start something we might regret in the future. I do think the borough would consider selling naming rights to some streets. Perhaps for the right price Dune Drive could become Utz's Drive? Let’s not give Stone Harbor an idea for funding that Community Center they want so badly.
—Avalon

The beach erosion at the Cove Beach is unbelievable. The owners of the Cove Restaurant might get their way when the ocean reclaims the sand dune next to them. I am sure blame is being given to those with no control over Mother Nature. I just hope the stripers are biting off the newly-exposed jetty this fall.
—Cape May
To the tall, brown-haired man in the turtle t-shirt running on the beach on Saturday morning: You should really watch where you are going. Just because you are in the midst of a workout does not mean that you have the right to run over small children, and then continue on without looking back. You are extraordinarily inconsiderate.
—Cape May

Our flag was at half-staff July 23, 24, 25 and 26. Does anybody know why? Does anybody care? I for one would appreciate the courtesy of an announcement, stating the reason why, in some sort of public forum. If the flag is to be flown at half-staff, people should be informed as to the reason why...otherwise why bother? Is anybody getting my drift here?
—Mayville
(ED. NOTE: Gov. Corzine ordered flags on state and county offices to fly half staff on July 20 in memory of Firefighter Stephen Dembski; on Aug. 6 in memory of Army Capt. Maria Ortiz; on Aug. 23 in memory of Army Cpl. KareemKhan.)

We would like to thank the Wildwood Beach Patrol for picking up my mother at the Cresse Avenue entrance to the beach. The lifeguards could not have been nicer. My mother was able to enjoy the beach with her family because of these fine gentlemen.
—Wildwood

I would like to thank the EMS personnel that were at the football scrimmages at the Goshen Complex on Aug. 25. It was a very hot and humid day, the EMS crew made sure all of the football players had cold towels to place over their heads and around their necks during the day and the coaches made sure that all of the players field time was limited based on the conditions. Thanks to all of you it was a fun, safe day for all the players, parents and fans. And thanks to the guys doing the fund raising BBQ for the great food and their dedication.
—Mayville

Why is the city of North Wildwood focusing on another water park and a high-rise hotel? Please bring family entertainment in the form of an amusement park to the dilapidated pier and stop assisting your campaign contributors in building an expensive hotel. Focus on bringing affordable motels back to the island instead of tearing them down!!!
—North Wildwood

With regard to the recent arrests of many local individuals, it's a shame that so many members of this community have no problem judging others. Just feel fortunate that it wasn't a member of your family that was arrested. Maybe then you wouldn't be so quick to criticize others
—Cape May

Cape May Point has been part of my life for more than 40 years. I am disappointed by the present lack of leadership. When is something going to be done with the eyesore that used to be our general store? Shame on all involved! That used to be the heart of our town. After circle games, everyone stopped for ice cream. It was so crowded you had to wait outside. The borough needs to make them at least fix it up.
—Cape May Point

To the spouter from Mayville who thinks a KFC in Middle Township would be a good thing: I have a dream that a KFC be built in Avalon on the new Martin Luther King Boulevard (formerly 34th Street). It could be in the parking lot of the church and money from the sales of fried chicken could help pay for a new roof for the church. A win-win situation!
—Avalon
“The force of public opinion cannot be resisted when permitted freely to be expressed. The agitation it produces must be submitted to.” — Thomas Jefferson. This is something worth remembering when our local political leaders and their appointees become impatient as citizens speak truth to authority. Put it in large type on the walls of City Hall.
—Cape May
A hearty thank you to Joseph Jackson, township manager and Gary Douglas, Department of Public Works for their attention and prompt solution to our concerns about trash pick-up for our condominium on Diamond Beach. What a pleasure dealing with these two township officials who were both courteous and professional.
—Diamond Beach
K-Mart parking lot, Aug. 28, 11:10 a.m., a woman upset with her children, backed out of her parking space and almost hit a pickup truck towing a trailer. He had the right of way but she just kept going and then drove through the parking lot between the cars. It was bad enough she had no regard for the man in the truck, but her children didn't deserve to be part of her bad driving. If I could have gotten her plate number and make of her van, I would have called the police.
—Wildwood
I will be very happy to see all the groups on Sunrise Drive go home for the winter. They were very noisy. I hope the landlords get new people that are mature and quiet. We are a neighborhood with a lot of families that own, not rent, their homes.
—Avalon

Martin Luther King Boulevard? What about JFK Blvd? Or even better, someone that had a significant relationship with the history and people of Avalon.
—Avalon
Every week there is a hilarious letter to the editor from a Wildwood resident.
—Wildwood
(ED. NOTE: Letter writers are limited to once every four weeks. That’s why the balance of your comment was omitted.)
I will keep on calling tourist shoobies till the day they learn if you do not vote you have no say on a way a town is run or should be run to please you. I am a four-generation local so get over it. Most tourists are rude and are crybabies.
—Stone Harbor

Working under very difficult conditions, the local police in Newark have done a magnificent job of apprehending the culprits in the execution-style murders of three college students. We are now learning that the people being charged are immigrants from Latin America, at least one of whom is in this country illegally. It is too bad that nobody thought to determine their legal status before they committed these terrible murders. Our entire immigration system is a disaster and neither of our U.S. Senators is about to offend the immigrant population by doing anything about the mess.
—Avalon
How is it that the Middle Township Leaders refuse to allow other communities to be represented? This is nothing more than the Democratic party acting like spoiled kids. Grow up and accept change. The people of all the communities of this township have the right to be represented.
—Whitesboro

While not normally fans of John Edwards because he is a typical free-spending liberal, we give him credit when he says something that has merit and/or does something that makes good sense. Such is this wonderful quote: "For too long, presidents from both political parties have entered into trade agreements, agreements such as NAFTA, promising that they would create millions of jobs and enrich communities. Instead, too many of those agreements have cost jobs and devastated towns and communities across the country." Edwards is wrong on most subjects, but on this he is right on target.
—Court House

It would be nice if the city of North Wildwood were to install free wireless Internet city-wide for all the taxpayers. Several towns in the state have set this up free of charge to residents and their town. This is something the city should look into instead of focusing on another water park.
—North Wildwood

As the owner of two year-round rental properties in North Wildwood, it seems to me that a lack of an architectural review board, proper community planning, and the failure of the joint construction office has created questionable construction and building materials, ugly buildings and a worrisome situation regarding hurricanes. One can only hope that in the future more planning will be in evidence. I own a home in Stone Harbor, and trying to get anything done is difficult at best because of the strong zoning laws and community planning.
—North Wildwood

On behalf of our son we would like to thank the family that left him a $5 tip after spending $200 on their dinner at a restaurant in Cape May.
—Cape May

It's the end of summer — Yahoo! All the disrespectful tourists are finally going home. Maybe they will come back next year with some manners.
—Wildwood

I wish the guy who runs Tuesday night bingo at St. Ann's in Wildwood would tell everyone who has a cell phone to shut them off during the games. This past week, a cell phone went off at least 12 times during the night with "When the Saints Come Marching In" as their ring tone.
—North Wildwood
To the spouter from Middle Township: How can you say that the same people opposed to the college are not the same people involved in opposing the recycling center on Indian Trail? I attended the Aug. 9 zoning board meeting and the same retired county official who attended the anti-college meetings was there. He is opposed to progress and is anti-everything. He uses the threat of water as a scare tactic but you can only cry wolf so many times before no one believes you anymore.
—Mayville

I hope the future mining and recycling application gets approved quickly before the Middle Township Zoning Board. Then the radical environmentalists can work on Gov. Corzine’s plan to sell the Garden State Parkway and further hurt our economy. Since the radicals are anti-business, anti-community college and anti-progress — then their further projects to oppose everything and anything will hurt the people of Cape May County.
—Court House
A special thank you to the Good Samaritan who came to my aide when I fell at the airport. Thank you for your kindness. Also thank you to the Lower Township police who responded so quickly, and a special thank you to the officer who made sure my Westie was taken home. Lower Township rescue was also quick to respond. The two girls in the ambulance were angels. The young lady who rode in the back with me was very professional. Last but not least, thank you to the nurses and doctor in the ER at Cape Regional Medical Center.
—Lower Township

This is in response to the spouter about the ghosts. Many people believe in ghosts and also believe that they exist and are a link to the hereafter. The Victorian era is well documented as being the era that many people sought out spirits; so it is only natural to follow through with tradition as Cape May does. Also, why do some people believe that ghosts are always "spooky?" I think you watched one too many horror movies. I hope this gets printed my last two did not.
—Rio Grande

Do Erma fire engines still respond to our area over the old Ocean Drive causeway bridge? I hope the county inspected that bridge and posted the weight limits. What does a fire engine weigh now days?
—Diamond Beach

Great police work. Great coverage from the Herald on the drug bust in our area. Now we know we have a drug distributor living across the street from us. We neighbors will be watching.
—Villas
A 2003 borough ordinance limits density in the borough. This is applied to only certain people. An example is a waterfront property in the 500-block of Poplar Avenue. The owner was permitted to take down a single home and put up a monster duplex. The borough said there is land listed on the deed but under water. They pay no tax on this underwater land, and it is under the control of the state. How is this possible? Everyone needs to be treated fairly.
—West Wildwood
Thank you to the kind staff at the Acme in North Cape May. Every cashier is always pleasant and helpful, and actually holds a conversation with customers. It's nice to feel appreciated when going grocery shopping.
—North Cape May

To the man who stole a $5 bill out of the Starbucks tip jar to pay for his beverage when the employee turned around to mark his cup, I saw you. And so did God.
—Erma

Thank you Bishop McHugh for being so welcoming towards my family. We are new to the area and to the school, and the faculty stopped and introduced themselves, met our child, and showed us we made a great choice. God bless and here's to a great school year!
—Swainton

What weekend is Irish Weekend in North Wildwood? I need to get shopping for green paint, t-shirts, and shamrock stickers.
—North Wildwood

I can't believe the spout off comment last week made about Wildwood not being a family town anymore. Sure, fine dining restaurants don’t allow children, and Irish Weekend does indeed include drinking, hello? We're Irish! But calling Wildwood a non-family resort is dumb. There are many family restaurants, like Duffers, that encourage families with children, family nights on the boardwalk that include clowns, fireworks, and crafts, and do you not see three piers filled with rides? Fine Dining is not where babies crying should be heard, and Irish Weekend is great for families during the day.
—North Cape May
It has been over two years since Katrina hit New Orleans; all I can say is shame on us. All the money that is used for the war in the Middle East. Why are the good people in New Orleans still suffering ? Why does a good portion of that city still look like it did two years ago? President Bush, shame on you.
—Villas
Special thanks to all the lifeguards that didn’t leave early for school. We really appreciate your dedication and service to our community.
—Wildwood

I am sorry if I got sand on your wife’s hoagie. I was going to an emergency.
—Wildwood

It is great to see that the mustache has made a comeback in Wildwood. I think they look great on you guys, very distinguished.
—Wildwood

It’s time to stop whining about the 3 to 5 petition. If it weren’t botched both times it would have passed. Who was watching and checking the signers of the petition? The big rush the second time is possibly a leadership ego problem. Leadership is supposed to check thoroughly how many signers are needed and to follow through and check signatures not assign the blame to someone else.
—Court House
Now that the summer is coming to a close, maybe our mayor will have more time to evaluate and eliminate some of the costs in this town. First and foremost should be our local EMT and fire department. The talk of hiring a deputy chief is just down right crazy. This is an issue that the two commissioners and mayor should really take a closer look at. This is not Philadelphia or New York; there doesn’t need to be so many men in the department.
—Wildwood

You know, I really enjoy reading the Herald, but please, please, would someone start proofreading the article page numbers? I can't tell you how many times I was directed to turn to another page for the rest of an article only to find you guys were just pulling my leg and really wanted me to hunt around through the rest of the paper to find it. Same thing goes for the Table of Contents. I just love a good mystery!
—Court House

Anyone watch the Channel 6 news health report last week, which discussed MRSA? The reporter interviewed a couple that vacations in Stone Harbor. The wife had this highly contagious skin disease, along with her family, and happened to be spending time on the beach along with hundreds of other families. What were they thinking, considering members of the family were contagious?
—Stone Harbor
To the spouter who thinks the police should be protecting the ducks crossing Glenwood Avenue here: Where are the police when we taxpayers need to be protected from the "quacks" running borough hall?
—West Wildwood

It has taken a long time and many suggestions, but the city has finally done something that is appreciated by everyone who comes into town and also the residents. They finally planted flowers in the two small islands, which guard the entrance to and exit from the city. Thank you. Sincerely hope that it will be an annual effort.
—Cape May
Maybe the Herald is trying to get everyone to visit their online forum by not delivering papers to Bayshore Rd. I hope that whom ever "forgot" a whole section of the county is not responsible for anything important.
—Erma
(ED NOTE: Apologies. North Cape May and Villas areas experienced delivery difficulties with the Aug. 29 issue, which caused delays or delivery failure in some locations.)
To the spouter last week about smoking on the beach: I agree 100 percent that the beaches should be smoke-free, but that will never happen — just like the boardwalk has smoking areas yet I see people smoking wherever they want. I have been to Disney World and never saw a problem. Everyone abides by the rules...Maybe because it's the happiest place on earth.
—Wildwood
Does anyone know what happened to D'Angelis Restaurant? The food was great and reasonable priced.
—Wildwood/Philadelphia
(ED. NOTE: They are closed.)

How can the Wildwoods become a "destination" in the winter? After going to the proposed waterpark, where else is there to go or even eat? Will people take the kids to Atlantic City casinos? Will they go to the theater? Will they visit historic places? Who is fooling whom? Change is not always good. Example: Pacific Avenue Mall, empty stores in the convention center.
—North Wildwood

Attention spouters who claim to know that homeless cats are killing endangered birds: You are blowing smoke. A U. S. Fish and Wildlife spokesman acknowledges that it is difficult (if not impossible) to determine what animal is responsible for bird predation. Why? Because gulls, skunks, raccoons, foxes, humans, dogs running loose, and even ghost crabs are implicated in the destruction of nests and eggs or the killing of chicks. Shall we eradicate them all?
—Avalon
An Avalon spouter claims that a S.A.D. supporter, a friend of the group’s leader,” “just sold (the spouter’s words) an ecologically significant property on 26th Street, and that all the vegetation and trees on the lot were destroyed in order to build a house. I drove the length of 26th Street four times, twice in each direction. I saw no evidence of such a property. Let’s have some proof of the spouter’s assertion.
—Avalon
I just want to thank the gentlemen who helped me change my tire last Sunday.
—Villas

The chiefs, captains, and supervisors of our islands’ beach patrols should really meet and discuss a plan for when there is a lifeguard shortage during the end of August and September. Red flags and one lifeguard chair every five blocks isn’t the solution. The aforementioned people should guard a beach or partner with someone to ensure more safety. The more eyes the better.
—Wildwood
Thanks to those who are responsible for the terrific entertainment each week at the Lou Booth amphitheatre in North Wildwood. We have especially enjoyed the Doo-Wop Thursday nights, along with our friends and neighbors. Looking forward to a new season in 2008.
—West Wildwood

What constitutes indecent exposure to a minor? Does a Middle Township youth counselor exposing his thong (which was under his short mini skirt) at a beauty contest for young children cross the line? This was just one of many unacceptable happenings at camp this year. Middle Township, who is hiring and overseeing the counselors? You need to explain to us why this is allowed.
—Dias Creek
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cape May County Forum Forum Index -> Spout Off - The PRINTED EDITION All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: