Cape May County Forum
Cape May County Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile      Log inLog in 

Print Spout Offs 9.7.11

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cape May County Forum Forum Index -> Spout Off - The PRINTED EDITION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spoutoff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Print Spout Offs 9.7.11 Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Court House - A big thanks to the young man who called when he found my wallet on the North Wildwood Boulevard. I am extremely thankful and grateful for your kind gesture and huge act of honesty, which was shown through your character. Thank you.
South Dennis - Chickens posing nuisance, noise and odor issues are regulated by a one-acre lot size minimum in Lower Township. Recent media articles reported that complaints were filed concerning an undersized lot and a coop containing six hens. Subsequent code enforcement action occurred and upheld this zoning law. In Dennis Township, you can operate six or more ATVs on a lot size of any dimension. Dirt tracks can be built on lots of any zoning classification - residential, business, historical, etc. No effective ordinances prohibit any of this. Go figure, and I'll take the noisy chickens any day!
Villas - I am so glad that Lower Township named new Chief Marker. He is an asset to this Township and will provide the guidance that our police department is in so desperate need of. Congratulations.
Dennisville - The county issued an evacuation because of the hurricane, so why was Route 47 still open to southbound traffic? The northbound lane was in total gridlock. I don't think I would even have been able to get out point. This was totally ridiculous!
Burlington - Just want to thank all the people that helped me out at the Rio Grande ShopRite when my wallet was stolen in their store; with their help I got my wallet back, minus the money, but saved me a lot of time and paper work. Thanks once again.
Villas - I want to just say I am laughing at the people who taped the outside of their windows.
Wildwood - We would like to thank the Wildwood Fire Department and the emergency response police for their quick response and kindness for their assistance when we had an electrical fire at our home. Can't say thank you enough, but we are very appreciative!
Stone Harbor - When I went to check my other house in Stone Harbor at 8 a.m., I was immediately approached by Officer Walker who demanded that I stop what I'm doing and report over to where he was standing. He went on to tell me that there had been reports of breakins occurring in Stone Harbor. I soon after called the Stone Harbor Police Department to confirm what Officer Walker had said, but was told that the police had not received any calls. What's the truth? Should I continue the Irene paranoia and spread the word that there are break-ins occurring?
(ED. NOTE: County Prosecutor Robert Taylor dispelled rumors of looting at an Aug. 27 press conference. He said local police on barrier islands and his personnel were on guard for such activity.)
Stone Harbor - Just compare the information on the official websites of Stone Harbor and Avalon this past weekend during Irene. While the Stone Harbor Police Department and Fire Department exhibited exemplary effort to keep our home safe, absolutely no information was forthcoming from our elected officials on the Stone Harbor website. Avalon's was updated constantly throughout the storm so evacuees could follow what was happening.
North Wildwood - Recall. Can we recall the police and fire chiefs, along with the mayor and his cronies? They cost us business owners large money Thursday, Friday and Saturday. False storm rumors closed our businesses prematurely. Scaring off all our patrons in one swoop. They have to be "accountable" for our major losses.
(ED. NOTE: A state of emergency was declared by the governor and county emergency management officials on Aug. 25 that was not lifted until Aug. 28. Local officials acted in concert with those superceding orders.)
Cape May - Evacuation route, what a joke. How can you call Route 47 an emergency escape route? The traffic lights in Dennisville kept our family in bumper-to-bumper for over two hours to escape. Is it that complicated to make them flash when the traffic is that heavy?
Wildwood Crest/Doylestown - I appreciate the concern for public safety during the preparation for Hurricane Irene, but the lack of information during the storm by the borough and the county was inexcusable. We made a large investment in this area and we should be able to get hurricane information. We got it for the surrounding areas, but nothing specific about Cape May County.
Sea Isle City - Hey, mayor, with the 2011 season winding down I would like to commend the city for completing the boat ramp renovations in time for the 2011 season. Finally the ramp can accommodate boats at low tide and the new floating dock can accommodate more than one boat. Also I was happy to learn that the fee was not increased this year and should stay the same for several years to come. As always, you have a great staff working at the ramp – thanks, Jim and Sally, for another great season! Also, kudos for the activities at the new band shell this year.
Court House - In response to all the Spouters complaining about Middle Township tax collectors, I would like to point out that if you did your research you would know that their inability to take payments electronically is not their fault. Those directions come from above them. Stop whining and actually find out who to talk to so you can move on with your lives. Grow up.
Belleplain - I live in a little town called Belleplain. I am getting sick and tried of people complaining about my dogs barking so much; how many people have a dog or more? You can't stop them from barking, so, people, stop complaining about it. At least the kids aren't screaming and crying all the time when they're outside.
Villas - Just want to say thank you to all three fire companies in Lower Township for hosting the various emergency crews during Irene. Rescue-Emergency Management and Lower Township Public Works crews allowing all to be available for a much faster response if needed. The Public Works crews were out on the road several times before and after the storm peaked, clearing downed trees and clearing branches from the roadways
Middle Township - To the person in the black Infinity SUV whose trailer broke while hauling two Jet skis right in front of my house. You have nerve for leaving it after you got your Jet skis off it with the help of a AAA truck. I saw you take the tires and the tag off of the trailer, knowing you were never coming back to get it. People like you probably are the ones that throw all their trash out the windows of your car. You should be ashamed.
Avalon - According to the nature program on PBS, the biggest attraction for skunks on the island is the feeding of feral cats. Relocate the cats under the boardwalk and the skunks will follow!
Del Haven - Thanks to Middle Township Police Department and Emergency Management for a great job before, during and after the storm, for going out of your way to keep us safe, and protecting our properties!
Wayne, NJ - Wildwood Crest law enforcement, emergency service personnel and Governor Christie should be lauded for their outstanding efforts last week to keep the people of the Wildwoods and the tourists safe and out of harm's way. Thank you for all you do!
Wildwood - Kudos to the brave men from Wildwood Beach Patrol for staying in town for the hurricane and helping their brothers at the Wildwood Fire Department and the Wildwood Police Department.
Stone Harbor - More on Stone Harbor schoolyard/community garden: When we returned last Sunday afternoon (together with our animals), from an adventure filled, yet successful evacuation, I was so gratified to find my raised beds filled with veggies and herbs had actually seemed to thrive during Irene. The veggies left on vines had ripened nicely. From a distance, the school kids' prototype garden also looked good. Nature can sure be cruel or miraculous. More later.
North Wildwood - Many thanks to the North Wildwood Recreation Center for the awesome job they did keeping us updated with pictures on Facebook during Hurricane Irene!
Lower Township - Ignorant population we have to live with. The majority put their trash out like clockwork the night before, even though the township says not to.
Wildwood Crest - I wonder who gets to decide what to name the hurricanes. I was just going over the 2011 name list and some names just seem like odd choices i.e. Don, Gert, Vatore? I like that Irene caused minimal damage though. We lucked out.
(ED. NOTE: According to National Hurricane Center, “Since 1953, Atlantic tropical storms have been named from lists originated by the National Hurricane Center. They are now maintained and updated by an international committee of the World Meteorological Organization.”
Villas - I would like to tell whoever threw the paint on my lawn to grow up. That was an act of vandalism. Personally, I like to throw the paint. You wanna throw the paint? You should look into being an artist or house painter. Some people can be so inconsiderate of personal property.
Wildwood Crest - It was unreal to watch how two grown men behaved on the beach after last week's earthquake. They were running all over the beach screaming at people to run for their lives due to a possible tsunami! They were so hysterical that the lifeguards had to calm them down.
Villas - Mandatory evacuations were handled very well for the recent hurricane. In the future I have a request that if there is an evacuation please consider stopping mail delivery. Returning to my home on Sunday, I found that mail had been delivered even though there was an evacuation order by Gov. Christie. Why would mail be delivered if 98 percent of Cape May County went along with the mandatory evacuation? In the future, I for one would appreciate it if the Post Office would hold the mail and let the postal employees join the percentage of the residents and flee to safety.
Stone Harbor Manor - I'd like to add to the Spouter about the lack of services here; what is it with that ugly non conforming storage eyesore building on Hallman Road? It is a commercial building in a residentially zoned area and it egresses onto other property lines; it should have never been permitted to have been built in the first place.
Philadelphia - My kids had a blast using the beach board ramps that came apart during the hurricane as boogie boards. Thanks, Public Works Department!
Cherry Hill/ West Wildwood - Summer's over. See you later, shoobies.
Wildwood - After our basement flooded a lot of companies were trying to cash in on flood repairs. I decided to roll up my sleeves and pump off the water myself. It took awhile to release, but it was worth it.
York, Pa. - I don't think I'll be coming back to the island of Wildwood next summer.
North Cape May - I think the local and state emergency management teams did a fantastic job. Even though it didn't hit direct, you went by the weather stations and other meteorologists and made a decision. It was a great success, closing hotels, having visitors leave first, evacuating locals smoothly. Yes, traffic was backed up a little; if you evacuated all at once, it would have been much worse. Those who want to complain, try to manage something like this yourself. I could keep going on, but just want to say well done, emergency management teams, police, fire, etc!
Stone Harbor - It's simple. Next storm, just do the opposite; if they tell you leave, stay, if they tell you stay, leave.
Stone Harbor - It is time Stone Harbor replaced or fixed the sidewalks in our town. They are buckling terribly, and can cause serious injury if someone trips and falls on them. With all the money council wants to spend on a new library on the beach, and a new community center, replacing the sidewalks would be money better spent.
Wildwood/York, Pa. - The City of Wildwood did a great job getting people out of harm's way before Irene. One call to the emergency hotline and my dad was in a safe place.
Middle Township - Thank you Mother Nature for sparing us the wrath of Hurricane Irene. Prayers go out to those who were not so lucky. The devastation along the coast is indeed very sad and the loss of lives and property should make us all give thanks we were spared. We should all consider ways to help those who were less fortunate.
North Wildwood - To the Spouter coming here for over 40 years, times are tough. We all need to pay for services. I am sure that everyone would like to keep the beaches free, but the reality is that the taxpayers are footing the bill and that's not fair. Taxes went up again this year. We need revenue to offset these increases. If you do love coming here, then you should be willing to pay a small fee to keep the beaches clean and safe.
Wildwood - The homes and property in Wildwood have fallen in value again by 3 percent, so beware; next year's tax increase will cause further reduction in value. Sell now, before it is to late.
Ocean City - I would like to take a moment to thank the Woodbine Developmental Center for showing me and my family comfort and security in the time of Hurricane Irene. Thanks again, you guys are the best. God bless you all.
Stone Harbor - Fortunately the county was spared the full wrath of Irene. If residents of the county stayed or left is a personal decision. What I find puzzling is the county's info department saying only 12,000 residents stayed to ride out the storm out of our population of 94,000 residents. I think they have it backwards at best. It didn't take much to see well over 75 percent of our residents, at a minimum, stayed here. Congratulations to each of us who stayed. Our love of our homes and our county overrode any threat and provided our children with the right example of how to face adversities.
Avalon - Many thanks to the 27th Street beach-goer who found my husband's glasses (in their case) as they were leaving the beach on Fri., Aug. 12. What a delight to see a plastic bag push-pinned to the beach fence railing, with a big found sign attached and the glasses inside when I went back on Saturday morning to re-trace our steps. This is what being summertime neighbors/friends is all about. Thank you so much.
Stone Harbor - God bless our veterans. The person who challenged the veterans who were out of their area selling 50/50 chances at the Craft Fair has never served this country in any way or form in the armed forces. Talking negatively to veterans who have received Purple Hearts during combat missions is quite uncalled for. Two years in a row this man, and I use that word loosely, has belittled proud veterans. Wonder if he would have told us to stay in our area, and not send men and women to Germany, France, Korea, Vietnam, etc. to serve?
Avalon - To the person who worries about a person feeding sea gulls on 78th Street. Please get a life, read a book about birds, or go to the beach and enjoy your vacation the way this person does, by feeding Gods's creatures. No harm is being done to the property and the gulls are pleased. Better you get animal control to control the cats.
Court House - When a mandatory evacuation is ordered, do you think someone would have the brains to do something with the traffic lights on Route 47 in South Dennis? Those lights cause back-ups with normal weekend traffic. The only spot I sat in traffic for a long period of time both leaving and returning to the area was at those three lights. Please don't use the reason that they are there to control traffic; the only thing they did in this case was stop traffic. Please use your head; doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out.
Sea Isle City - I want to acknowledge the great job the county and shore communities did with evacuation last week with the threat of Hurricane Irene. With the number of visitors in the county, and the unpredictability of mother nature, there was no other choice. Forecasters are not God, and to wait would have created a parking lot on the north and west bound roads. Thank God it was not worse for us, but it was a huge storm that had it bore a little more north could have caused serious damage, as it has done other areas. It shows we are prepared to do what needs to be done, and I congratulate you.
South Dennis - Concerning noise and dust from earthquakes, the Spouter from Dennis Township can rest assured that no municipality anywhere has such an ordinance regarding this absurd premise. On the other hand, dozens and dozens of municipalities throughout New Jersey effectively regulate noise and dust regarding ATVs. While earthquakes randomly affect the lives of people and communities, ATV operators have no property rights or entitlements to create noise and dust that enters nearby homes, damages the environment, depresses property values in residential neighborhoods, and compromises public safety.
Wildwood Crest - I can't believe the garbage on display at the MTV Music Awards. Vatore definitely got overlooked for best new artist and MTV doesn't even play music videos anymore.
Villas - To everyone that treats Fulling Mill Rd as a race track. I suggest you watch your speed. Final warning.
North Wildwood - I've never seen so many dolphins so close in the bays and ocean this August. I'm glad I packed my camera.

Cape May - I believe the city of Cape May is retaliating against me for opposing the mall renovation project a few years ago. First they challenged my voter registration status just because I had a vehicle with New York plates, and now they refuse to recognize me with a much deserved Garden of the Month Award. This just isn’t fair.
North Wildwood - I am opposed to beach tags. This is not the answer. Renters complain about the rates they have to pay for their rentals. They don't realize the expense the owner has to go through, (condo fees, assessments, a license from the town several hundred dollars for what , insurance, etc.). Do you think they are going to pay beach tag fees on top of all this?
Stone Harbor - Irene should stand as a warning against the folly of building an eight-point-five million dollar library on the beach. Rethinking that decision is the only reasonable thing to do.
Palermo - Upper Township passed zoning to allow 134 low income trailers on the Shaw farm in Marmora. That farm is on wetlands, where will all this sewage waste go? Something stinks here and it is not just the sewage! These trailers will not contribute anything to the tax base, but will put over 100 kids in the school system. We will need to get a police force to start patrolling, too. None of this makes any sense - what benefit is this for Upper Township? It's just going to cost us money and fill a farm with stinking sewage. Good bye, wetlands – hello, higher taxes.
Villas - My Spout Off is actually regarding the Herald. Every paper, at the top left corner, it says "Opinions? We got 'em!" Well congratulations for you, you have opinions, so do six billion other people on earth. Are opinions really a selling point nowadays? I love the Herald, but come on, advertising that you have opinions is like Bill Gates advertising he has money.
(ED. NOTE: They are not just any opinions, they are your opinions.)
Cape May - Not everyone has money to evacuate, so the emergency coordinator decided to tell everyone to put a name card in their shoe for 'when' they die from staying. Opposite of positive. Ridiculous. If I caused mass panic, I'd be arrest (it is against the law) but this guy can do it willy nilly? Okay. Something must be wrong with the water in this county I guess. Between biased cops and 'doomsday' forecasts. Is this a circus sideshow or something?
Beesleys Point - I receive a phone call regarding my disability to evacuate; I return the call only to find the Upper Township offices closed in a State of Emergency for the entire state. Why, in this time of obvious disaster, are the offices not open for everyone in need? This municipality has a responsibility to the all residents of their governing body in the time of emergency, especially one of this magnitude .
Stone Harbor - I read the Herald online and notice many articles written by Herald Staff. Who is this Mr. or Mrs. Staff and how long have they been working there?
(ED. NOTE: Herald Staff has been here since the paper’s inception in 1967.)
North Wildwood - Dear soon-to-be former mayor. Thank you for almost giving me a heart attack. Your men told us that our electric and gas was to be shut down just before the hurricane. Thank God for Mr. McCall for making a correct announcement. If a recall for you comes out, I and my neighbors will sign.
Wildwood - Well, I was preparing for the flood like always and drove my car to the municipal lot next to City Hall and found that our Mayor Troiano, had taken up at least half of the lot with his 12 wheel dump truck, backhoe, trailers and pick ups all parked sideways. Residents and taxpayers move aside - there clearly is no one more important than ET!
Wildwood - For years that free paper the Herald would be out in the stores by mid-day on Wednesday. Now it is very hard for us seniors to find a paper until Friday. We are tired of going in and out of stores for days at a time looking for one. Who do we complain to?
!
North Wildwood - Why did the North Wildwood Powers That Be shut off our power that could have been on during Hurricane Irene? We stayed to protect our investments so we could bolster theirs. We pay the bills, Bill, not you. Hit the road like Irene did. Leave quietly.
Ocean City - Frank, we needed real factual information during the hurricane, not a bunch of babbling from you. There was no storm information on your website to help us track Irene and the impact on Ocean City, and you said nothing useful when on television. Thanks to our police and emergency personnel, they are the heroes.
Cape May - Why is it that we had a "state of emergency" yet the post office delivered mail? Why would the United States Postal Service put the letter carriers' lives in jeopardy? A mandatory evacuation was in place, so I doubt people were looking for any mail. We had widespread power outages, so it's not like we could go to the bank, shop or even pay a bill online. Despite the fact that my mailbox blew open and I found my mail on my neighbor's yard. What ever happened to "safety first"? Guess that doesn't apply at the post office! God bless those mailmen who risked their lives!
Stone Harbor - We're evacuated and mandated to leave our property per the County OEM Director. We understand the severity of Irene and the potential damage she can leave in her wake. We want to follow all the instructions given by the Governor, State, county and local OEM. We're in a motel in Pennsylvania and waiting to hear precise up to date information on Cape May County and we hear the county OEM director telling the country that he went outside for fresh air and it was raining. Seriously, that was the extent of his report except to say what he previously stated the day before about road closings.
Court House - I think I'm going to run for Mayor, then I could keep my bar open during a mandatory evacuation and curfew. While all my competitors had to send their employees and customers home.
Middle Township - Middle Township Ambulance Building - please buy your EMTs an ashtray. The sidewalk, street, and drain are inundated with their foul cigarette butts .The township could make a fortune by charging them with littering.
Wildwood Crest - Seniors, guard our pets. Do you realize our own senator, Jeff Van Drew, sponsored a bill, S-2923, to require shelters to put down our pets immediately based on their "behavior" rather than giving owners time to look for them? Isn't Van Drew the same Trenton politician who voted with the Republicans to cut the small pensions of our elderly retirees? His mother was so proud of his public service achievements.
Avalon - I don't know what people expected of Frank McCall during Irene, but I think you are all missing a very important point in the discussion. There was an earthquake four days before the hype over Irene began and not a word from our Office of Emergency Management. Think about it.
Wildwood/North Wildwood - Seniors, demand the freeholders boot out at once Frank McCall and Steve O'Connor for putting us into a potentially dangerous and life-threatening situation with their handling of the hurricane. Ambiguous evacuation orders, no available pet-friendly shelters, no direct information to our homes about what to do or where to go, shoddy, if any, transportation. We get our info from the Press. Kick them out. None of us seniors I spoke with are leaving our own homes with the next, approaching storm.
Villas - The DEP needs to take a drive in the Villas. Smashing up old televisions for the scrap is harmful to the environment....
Stone Harbor - Nothing but a bunch of Saber Rattling from the powers that be in regards to what turned out to be a non-event hurricane. Could somebody please give these people some Valium?
Middle Township - Middle needs more police officers. I don't mind my tax dollars going towards that, but I do mind spending it on useless political appointees who do absolutely nothing.. Wake up, Middle..
Cape May - Love how their plan worked out to issue tickets for people trying to surf in Cape May during Hurricane Irene. Even the local police never pursued the Violent Criminal Surfers after one incident. And to top it off, they issue a ticket to the one individual who literally brings 100,000s of people and millions of dollars to the local economy. Guess what, city officials, you can't deny access to the ocean. You should have left that decision to the people who know our local ocean the best, the life guards.
Cape May - Mr Mahaney, any comment on your claim that the Cove will naturally replenish itself?
West Wildwood - I thank the Lord that Mayor Frederick is back; I, as one of his supporters, plus many others have been praying for his recovery. Keep up the good work that you have done previously to better West Wildwood. If anyone can straighten out the negativity of certain people back here, and we all know who they are. God Bless you and God be with you, Mayor Frederick.
Cape May - I submitted a Spout Off two weeks ago, where is it? The subject was Victorian Towers, or do you not submit all of the Spout Offs you receive, just the ones you think are printable?
Cape May - Where was the mayor during Hurricane Irene? When can I take the three-by-five inch index card out of my left shoe?
North Cape May - On the subject of the six foot high fence in the front, no, it's not OK, Mr. Code Enforcer, because if it is a county road, then we will contact the county then the state if we have to!
Stone Harbor - The atmosphere in the shopping district in the evening is quickly becoming a carbon copy of Wildwood. Where are all the officers that used to patrol 96th Street on foot to keep things under control? Something better be done before things get totally out of control. Once it gets dark out, there needs to be more police presence and they need to be more concerned with what's going on in town instead of ignoring it, and less focused on giving out parking tickets.
North Wildwood - Where were our civil defense crews during the hurricane? They used to do such a great job, but this time, I didn't see one of their trucks protecting us seniors.
West Wildwood - What does the former solicitor have to do with us now? When he's the former, that's what it means.
North Wildwood - Just because the Wildwood Beach Patrol lost Mike Syrnick doesn't mean they should have taken out the run event in the Dutch Hoffmans. That race is a storied tradition among the South Jersey beach patrols.
North Wildwood - Anybody know how to remove indelible ink off the bottom of you foot? I don't want anyone getting my social security number while I'm sleeping on the beach. It took about ten minutes to scrape off the index card. How long has that been in your hip pocket, Frank?
Wildwood - I've had enough of the state not looking into my complaint. Won't someone look into the Wildwood scammer ? I'm tired of watching him hit the beach, gym and talk on a state-paid cell phone.e.
Wildwood - The city should uninstall radios from city vehicles. I couldn't sleep on the beach because a j1 truck was playing changes by David Bowie over and over.
Villas - I agree with the Spouter from Town Bank that Police Chief Marker had the courage to stand up to Mr. Voll and stop the merging of police dispatch centers. Voll's plan would have cost more money and undoubtedly caused higher taxes. Keep up the great work, Chief..
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cape May County Forum Forum Index -> Spout Off - The PRINTED EDITION All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: