Cape May County Forum
Cape May County Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile      Log inLog in 

Print Spout Offs 3.9.11

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cape May County Forum Forum Index -> Spout Off - The PRINTED EDITION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spoutoff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Print Spout Offs 3.9.11 Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Wildwood - The DeMarzo administration has hired every professional from over the bridge - not the Wildwood bridge, but the Egg Harbor bridge - all come from Atlantic County. Way to help the local economy, guys.
Lower Township - Just wanted to know why it seems there's way too many Lower Township Police around. Seems they're just driving around and wasting gas.
Sea Isle City - Did you see this week's Spout Off; Sea Isle City's average pay for a city worker is $70,000, can you imagine? Most of these are not skilled labor, but at the laboring level. Then there is the problem of how many live in Sea Isle City or pay property taxes? Most important, in the event of an emergency like blizzards and severe weather, how many would be able to report for emergency duty, since they do not live in town? In an emergency, you are on your own. Right, Mr. Business Administrator?
Sea Isle City - For over 40 years, I have been receiving my beach tag order form in the mail with other town application forms. This year I was shocked to receive a beautifully printed four-color postal with the Len's picture on it as an order form for tags. Postage for postal cards is 0.28 - 1st class is 0.44. I counted the list of homeowners in the blue book with 120 per page. It totals 5,280. The printing had to cost $1,000 or more and the postage either $1500 or 2323. Why are we wasting money on this, and not reducing taxes or beach fees? The mayor's picture is being used as a free election ad.
Sea Isle City - Mr. McHale is running around handing out information that says Sea Isle has 119 full-time employees. How many times have we heard at meetings from him and other council members that the city cut the workforce to about 109 full-time employees, plus some that have retired after the separation package? How are we back up to 119 again, Mr. McHale?
Court House - I was embarrassed by the actions of the coaches and some of the players at the fourth grade basketball tournament over the weekend. The children learn from the adults, so the blame is squarely on the coaches. These coaches should be suspended from all coaching in Middle Township for at least a year. We need responsible adults to mentor our kids! The kids may have won, but it was a loss for our community.
Villas - The Lower Township MUA, the director of the Lower Township MUA and the transparent council have destroyed the beautiful Norman Rockwell landscape of Villas, NJ. The water tower in Villas should read Villas! We look like a joke with a water tower that makes reference to sewage. Is this a sewer town, or a uniquely beautiful bay side community abundant with horseshoe crabs, American bald eagles and the overflowing beauty of the shore? What a disgrace!
North Wildwood - Congratulations on winning the ER election at the Elks. This is not a private club, the club belongs to the members. It was good to see the bartenders at the meeting, for their first and only meeting in a year.
Wildwood - The actions of the two commissioners last Wednesday night has me feeling bad that I did not sell my home earlier. I was born here and love this town, but the open door medical clinic that they approved is not gonna encourage people to buy here and invest for their retirement. Why don't Stone Harbor, Avalon, and Sea Isle City have to have these programs?
Avalon - I am confused. Your headline says Avalon taxes to go up. A few lines into the story and the mayor says no tax increase. Later, we find a tax rate increase. So, my Avalon house goes down in market value and in assessed value, but my tax rate goes up! Did the mayor or council give any thought to cutting something from the budget? No, just squeeze the taxpayer some more and keep on spending.
Wildwood - Mayor DeMarzo was against animal house enforcement, now he is for it; maybe he can get a second vote from Brennan. He tried to clean up the town once, but didn't get any help.
Cape May - All this taxpayer money spent on haggling over a moldy movie house could be better spent on trying to formulate plans to fix the dangerous shoreline and its subsequent injuries on Cape May beaches. Try to think now. Try.
West Wildwood - The editorial by Sam Kelly (politicians overpaid, under performing) - dead on. They (politicians) are the masters of deception, best at displacement of their responsibilities, my pockets are always available for private dollars; feel free to add on other qualities. Notice the multitude of Spout Offs that are truly politician oriented, and 95 percent negative. If just 10 percent (likely 98 percent) are legitimate, then how sad are our elected officials? Remember to vote, really, for who for what.
Villas - The reason the Lower MUA is now having their meetings at 5:00 p.m. is because the people out working cannot attend and question what they are doing.
Wildwood - Mayor DeMarzo and Commissioner Harshal: What you did at the last commissioner's meeting is a death sentence to the town of Wildwood. You two proved to be worse than what we had before.
Sea Isle City - I'm very concerned about our town. Dear Lenny, why did you wait a year before addressing the problems with the fire company? Only to result in national headlines in a fire fighter's news. The other day I was appalled to see our lovely town, once more, in the news. This time on Fox News concerning the lawsuit on the Hutinsteins. Isn't your job to promote the city in a positive light? Enough is enough. Perhaps you're tired. It's time for you to step down after how many years? We need a responsible person to lead our city.
Dennis Township - I am not so sure the youthful driver who went off the bridge should have gotten a ticket. Poor maintenance was a contributing factor. A professional commercial licensed driver upset a big rig. He hit a slick spot on the road. No ticket. She also hit a slick spot. Why are they picking on our youth? Remember, the Motor Vehicle Department wasted $600,000 to label our youthful driver. What goes?
Court House - To the Spouter complaining about a Middle Township police detective talking on a cell phone every morning on US 9. The person works for Public Works, and not every unmarked car is a police officer. Maybe you should call the township manager.
Lower Township - The November elections have come and gone and still the Republican majority can't figure out how to help the people of this town. Start making the right decisions, and stop with the constant bickering. We can't afford to waste time with another four years of you guys getting paid to do nothing. Please, someone, step up; we need candidates who are qualified to do the job.
Wildwood - DeMarzo is calling Brannen a bigot. Have these two recall friends really separated; how come DeMarzo didn't recognize Brannen's trait during the last campaign?
Stone Harbor - In 2005 the Stone Harbor Police Department completed a rigorous process to become the first department in Cape May County accredited by the NJ State Chiefs of Police Association, which, among other things, makes the department eligible for an insurance discount. Why did the department choose to let this expire after three years when the Avalon, Middle Township, Cape May, Ocean City, Lower Township, Wildwood Crest, and North Wildwood Police Departments remain accredited or are in the process?
Villas - I live in the north end of the Villas, and several of the streets look like North Philadelphia. It is a dump. When is the new township manager going to clean up the trash, broken vehicles and weeds here? It is a disgrace.
Wildwood - Commissioner Brannen wants to clean up the town, why doesn't he start with the house falling into the harbor? What an eyesore.
Sea Isle City - I heard Mayor Lenny was on a roll at the council meeting last Tuesday. Shame on McHale for handing out such a cartoon; I for one don't want someone that childish as my mayor.
Wildwood - Is the mayor of Wildwood serious with his threats to the Herald? Who is he? Gaddafi is using this same tactic in Libya right now! Free speech is allowed here in the United States, go read the constitution!
Green Creek - When is Middle Township Police going to do something about this motel on 47! The crime in this area is off the charts! I mean, they are there at least every other day, and now all of us who live within three miles of it are getting notices about a tier three Megan's Law registrant now residing there. I bet Mr. Leusner would find a way to clean up this mess if it was in his neck of the woods
North Wildwood - I was just told that Margaret Mace school does not have a guidance counselor. Isn't that against the law? They have a teacher who has a degree in guidance listed as a counselor, but that person is teaching classes almost the entire day. There is no time to 'guide', there is no guidance office, or appointment times. Someone should seriously look into this. Maybe if they didn't pay three administrators, they would be able to pay for a full-time guidance counselor..
Wildwood - What a sad state of affairs for the City of Wildwood; DeMarzo laying off police and fire, at the same time giving two of his political supporters $25,000 raises with their newly created promotions.
Stone Harbor - Why does the Chamber insist on having the Boat Show the same weekend as the Garden Club has their flower sale? Now the flower sale will be just as big a flop as the so-called Boat Show is. Please hire a new event planner who knows something about planning events.
Sea Isle City - People of Sea Isle: You should be aware that your mayor has signed off on an agreement with the Fraternal Order of Police which provides the following pay scale for Sea Isle City police officers: First year; $46,555.22, second year; $53,616.80, third year; $71,168.35, fourth year; $80,368.60, fifth year $86,792.13. These figures do not include any benefits, uniform allowances, etc. It's not the fault of our officers, it's the lack of leadership of the mayor and selected council members, and a state arbitration program that is way out of control.
Wildwood - Not mentioned in the Herald article for public safety cuts is several City Hall and Beach Patrol layoffs.

Stone Harbor - What’s up with the bumper stickers? After years of wanting to cut the budget, cut the force, and merge with Avalon, the crew that is anti-everything in town is now courting the police. I guess there has been a change of course.
North Wildwood - Wildwood Mayor DeMarzo has put the taxpayers first. Unlike the mayor of North Wildwood, who continues to put the taxpayers last. The salaries of the workers and administration in North Wildwood are out of control. The island should have one mayor, one police chief, four council persons, and one fire chief. Consolidation is coming.
Sea Isle City - I can see Mike McHales' running mates, are not doing well with the school board. It was quite a controversial meeting this past week. Seems like Mike McHale wants to close our school and we want to keep it open; our children's futures begin with our school staying open.

Sea Isle City - Under the current government we have seen so many improvements in our community. Taxes have remained constant yet the town has seen so many advancements. New buildings, new services and many more to follow. Why would we want to go back to the way it was when Mike McHale was in office? He raised taxes and stopped all building and was against any new improvements, I'm all in support of Len Desiderio, he is taking our town in a great and positive direction!
Townsends Inlet - I recently ended my membership to SICTA. I found that at every meeting I attended, it was a platform for Mike McHale and his political aspirations. I thought I was a member to help the townspeople and solve issues that effect all of us It's not for me anymore. I love Sea Isle, especially my end of Townsends Inlet, and I want to see positive and good things happen here.
Wildwood - Where are Brannen and Harshaw in this police and fire mess? Don't they know what kind of town this will be? Why did Al give big contracts with raises and promotions?

Dennisville - There are only a few ATVers who are ruining it for the rest of us, and I know who they are. Maybe if we clean up our own hood, things will go back to the way they were.
North Wildwood - The average salary of a New York City cop is $55,000. There is no comparison between a New York City cop and a cop from the Wildwoods. Mayors, do the math.
North Wildwood - Congratulations to Lou and Jerry on your election at the Elks last Thursday night. I know by the large number of people who supported you that both of you will continue to help the community and lead the Elks this coming year. Your communication skills will be an asset to the organization and your dealings with the State Lodge. Again, we (Elk members) are proud of what you are doing. J.T.
Bedminster/Wildwood Crest - I just wanna take the time to thank all my Crest beach friends who helped me get through the loss of my dog Max.
Cape May Beach - It's the end of an era. I’d like to say goodbye to gasoline that's under three dollars per gallon. We’ll never see you again, but you will be missed.
Middle Township - The Middle Township School Board should cut all sports before a single teacher loses their job. Actual education is more important than sports. Last year many teachers were laid off, but all the sports and coaching positions were restored once the budget passed. Middle Township Schools have no money for supplies or teachers, but there always seems to be money for sports. The Middle Township School Board needs to realize that schools exist to educate students, rather than giving a few students a chance to lose football games.
Villas - If the mayor's office would all get along, maybe things would get done.
Court House - To the person concerned about the Eldora dogs, please call your animal control to report the location: 390-9113. If nothing improves, call the SPCA at 800-582-5979. Thanks for your efforts on behalf of the dogs.
Wildwood - Has anyone ever filled a white plastic cup of Wildwood tap water? Try it and trust me, you will buy bottle water from now on. It's not a pretty sight! Somebody help us!
Wildwood - Last week's meeting had reps from Complete Care to explain what the clinic will offer to the Students of Wildwood High. However, we were also told it will be open to the community. Many residents had questions concerning this, and the doctor who was there was unable to answer some of them. According to her research, Wildwood is a good candidate for the clinic because Wildwood is in poverty. I beg to differ. There are residents who live and own business in this town who are far from it!
Cape May - I just would like to thank the outstanding citizen in the white car who hit my new truck on Saturday, 2/19 in the Lucky Bones parking lot and didn't tell anybody about it. Don't worry, there is a thing called karma, and it deffinitely will get somebody like you.
North Wildwood - To anyone who thinks ObamaCare is good for the country. What are you smoking? Or have you been at the Kool-Aid?
Lower Township - Congratulations to the Cape Storm Rugby Team, who won second place in the LCMR Dancing With the Faculty. These are fine young men from Lower Township and Cape May County!
Villas - As a person who has just moved to the area, I just wanted to say that Cape May County is a great place to be. Yes, there are problems, like other areas. But this county has something special. Is it the people, the landscape, who knows? Give yourselves credit, this is a great place to live!
Villas - Bring the train back to Cape May County! No more highways! Roads bring more traffic, congestion, pollution and the loss of sense of place. The rising gas prices could ruin our main economic source, which is tourism.
Sea Isle City - Attention full-time residents - you should know that your trash cans need to have lids on them. We are getting tired of either picking up your trash and recycling , or seeing it wind up down at the beach. Put a lid on it!
Stone Harbor - There is at least one more person who is questioning the public school in Stone Harbor. With all the individual attention these students receive in these tiny classes, all of them should be on the honor rolls in Middle Township. We all know this is not happening. Some actually fail in math and science classes. Unbelievable! And then the taxpayers are burdened with extra costs for the out of town students who pay only $2,200. I wonder if any are using relative's addresses and not paying any tuition.
Court House - I'm new to this area and I recently joined a gym. I was shocked to see that parents bring little children there while they're working out, and they're running around in the downstairs men's gym. I've noticed children playing on sports equipment and just being generally very unruly. Children do not belong in a gym.
Wildwood Crest - Responding to several Spout Offs: The Spout from Court House about Al Gore. It's funny how he bought water front property. He's not worried about water levels rising on the oceans. Two: Republicans say Congress is serious about reducing the deficit and cutting wasteful spending because our military spending is the greatest thing out all of our expenditures. That's wrong. Social Services is. Social Security is number one in spending. Rio Grande, you need to retract yours. Michelle Baughman did retract her statement about cutting $4.5 million in Veteran benefits. She said she was wrong.
Wildwood - Wildwood schools give away 643 free lunches each day. There's free beaches in Wildwood. Now they're putting a new health clinic for free. I'm going to tell everybody to come to Wildwood and get a free voucher with it.
North Cape May - I just completed reading your Feb. 23 paper. I read Patricia Hall's column. She is a real plus to this newspaper. I just would hope that she would be a weekly writer for your paper. She has such a positive attitude and her writing is so interesting. It captures the mind. Tell her husband I like her writing better than his. Keep up the good work, Patricia.
Wildwood - What rec center closes at 2:30 p.m. on a Saturday?
Cape May Beach - It's pretty sad for the Spouter from Stone Harbor to say that Chris Christie is like Adolph Hitler killing the Jews because he's trying to reform the corrupt Teacher's Union and balance the budget. Yet, in the next breath, says we have to do this in a civil manner. I sense hypocrisy here.
North Wildwood - I want to thank all the people in the North WIldwood Rec for their friendliness, for the safety of the children and doing a good job. It's a great place to go. North Wildwood is very fortunate to have a place like that.
North Wildwood - I think they should synchronize the traffic lights. There are five on Ocean Avenue and one on Maryland Avenue in Anglesea and one at the western end of the bridge. With the price of gasoline, to sit and wait for one light after another is wasteful. I'd like to save a little money on gasoline and stopping for nothing. Or have them shut off and only come on when a car comes in, so they're triggered when the car is there.
Sea Isle - We've loved Sea Isle for a long time - its beauty, its warm and welcoming people, its relaxing and spirited nature. It is a fun town and a wonderful place to be. We just wish some people would get that message! There are some who moved here full time, who had summer homes for years, who complain and whine and moan all the time now that they are here. Is it that they are really unhappy with Sea Isle? Or really unhappy in their retirement?
Middle Township - Kudos to the Herald with trying to expose the horrible conditions of the roads in Middle Township and Cape May Court House. They were bad enough to begin, and after the gas line construction, they are even worse. Nothing short of a complete re-paving of Magnolia, Goshen, Dias Creek and Shunpike will be acceptable. Time to put our taxes to good work.
Wildwood Crest - Very great job to Wildwood Catholic for Nunsense. I couldn't stop laughing and neither could the rest of the audience. Keep up the good work.
Anglesea - Teachers aren't the problem in this state; handout-collectors who live in government-paid housing are. At least teachers are productive members of society; they pay taxes just like you or me, and actually serve the community in a way that promotes self reliance of all individuals.
Ocean View - Concerning recent statements in the media by the Dennis Township Solicitor, advising of increased investigation and write-ups of code violations about ATV use in residential areas, I wonder if the ATV park across from the Ocean View Rehabilitation and Assisted Living Center is in compliance with zoning/planning/construction laws? I wonder if the noise, dust, odors and fumes are objectionable to residents of this facility? As this park also is situated next to the Garden State Parkway, I wonder if multiple ATVs riding here creates a traffic hazard for thousands of motorists?
South Dennis - I hope the parents of the children they forgot to teach about our fragile environment will remind them that the jugs of gas and oil they broke went into the water they drink. Let them think about that when they forever drink a glass of water.
Sea Isle City - Lenny is doing a great job.
North Wildwood - What does it take to get a drug dealer busted in North Wildwood? Several people, including myself, have informed the police of the drug activity, with names, car license plates, and have talked to detectives. It has been going on well over a year. What are we suppose to do? How would the police like having a drug dealer on his block? Something needs to be done now!
South Dennis - I was wondering if the Democratic state senators in Wisconsin and Indiana who aren't showing up for work for like three or four weeks still get paid and still keep their job. I think if I worked for someone and did that, I probably wouldn't get paid or have a job any longer. If they do get paid and still keep their job, does that mean everyone in America who has a job should be able to do that? Just wondering.
Stone Harbor - Bravo to last week’s Stone Harbor Spout Off "What is going on with the Police Department in Stone Harbor?" We have too many policemen. National average is two-point-three policeman for every 1,000 residents. In Stone Harbor we have 17 policeman, one for every 52 residents. Let's offer our policemen to a city that has a need for more protection.
Sea Isle City - Great job with the Polar Bear Plunge and the Autism Walk. It is exciting to see all the new things that are happening in Sea Isle.
Cape May - All this nonsense about the Beach Theatre. No way is it a historical site. It is closer to a hysterical site. Get rid of the dump asap.
Villas - I saw a woman go into Joe Canal's on 2/28. Getting out of a blue Jeep Cherokee, and before going into the store, she flicked her cigarette to her left. It is sad that people who smoke have such an attitude of indiscriminate littering. Could people not stub out their cigarettes on the lot (disgusting enough, but at least it would pose no threat of fire) and then throw them into the trash cans provided? What a shame that smokers do not understand the environmental impact that they have on others.
Town Bank - When is Lower Township going to fix the entrance to the bay at Cliffside Road and Shore Road? It's dangerous, the street is crumbling away at the "pathway" to the beach. There will be a lawsuit if someone falls here. It's not safe to ride your bike, either, on Shore Road in this vicinity. A safer entrance needs to be in place as soon as possible, and repairs are needed to Shore Road.
Whitesboro - As a local resident, I am shocked and appalled at the amount of garbage, trash, and debris on the streets in Whitesboro. Any paper, cans or bottles that blow out on trash day find a new home along the side of the road. It is disgusting! What happened to personal pride in one's property and community? It is not the job of the township to clean this up this mess, it is the homeowner's responsibility. What kind of example does this set for our children?
Woodbine - Board of Education board members and superintendent of the Woodbine School District, something has to be done with students being dropping off on Webster Avenue; this is creating an unsafe condition.
Court House - As we near Middle Township school's budget proposal, I hope that they are bringing back teachers. They spent a lot of money on sports that were cut from last year's budget (and the budget passed with these cuts), and I hope, as a parent, my child will have some of their favorite teachers back for the upcoming school year.
Town Bank - What's up with the water? Thought we were going to get started in January with the water lines. It's now March; I don't see anything happening.
Wildwood Crest - Sunday afternoon, Feb. 27, there were mattresses scattered amongst the dunes on Syracuse and the beach. Looks like they were courtesy of a local resort. Shame on the local business for not keeping our beach clean. They will charge more money for ocean view, but they don't respect the environment. Wildwood's beach is our biggest asset and is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Keep it clean!
Villas - I agree; I think Mike Beck should run for Cape May County Freeholder. He would be great. Mike Beck and Steve O'Connor working together would save Cape May County.
Erma - Big thanks to Lower Animal Control officer Steve Parker. And to Lower Police Department's John Chew. Going out of their way, extra miles and extra care to help people in our township. Thank you for the help last Friday night, but mostly for the caring attitude while helping.
Anglesea - When should we expect our new property assessments from the city? I hope they are going to give us enough time before the deadline to appeal them.
Court House - Hasn't anyone else noticed the alarming rates of cancer and cancer related deaths in Cape May County? I think it's time for the health department to take this a little more seriously. The numbers, I think, will shock people.
Villas - Love the new restaurant in the Villas. Good food, good prices, good service.
WIldwood - Thank you for the tax reduction. I so glad my taxes are not going up. Keep up the good work.
Villas - Tennessee Avenue, trash guys obviously aren't going to pick up that broken big screen TV in your front yard. How about you utilize that truck in your driveway and dispose of it properly!
Clermont - I really enjoyed last week’s article, "Young Filmmakers 'Descend' on Dennis." However, isn’t Hagan Road in Clermont, not Ocean View?
Stone Harbor - I think that in lieu of the serious economic situation our country is in, that it would make a lot of sense for President Obama to declare a state of emergency and dismiss the senate and house of representatives. This would allow our president the authority to make needed decisions to get our economy going. Historically, this has worked in several European countries and proven highly successful.
Scottsdale, AZ - To Al Gore in the Villas. So now that you have explained the reason it snows, then explain why it is colder now if we are in the mist of global warming!
Lower Township - Does any dog expert out there know if muzzles can be used to stop dogs from barking? If so, owners need to use them in the mornings, or just take the dog back inside until a reasonable hour, after normal people who can control their own dogs get up. Are you barking dog owners deaf, too?
Wildwood - So the school in Rio Grande is being demolished. Glad to see. Thinking maybe target? Come on, locals, let's cross our fingers.
Court House - When is the big announcement going to be made? I am dying to know who is going to be running in the Democrat slot for Middle Township. Is it going to be Doughty, Hamer or Noel?
North Wildwood - Where is all the money going from the tolls on the Cape May County bridges? Certainly not back into maintaining the bridges.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cape May County Forum Forum Index -> Spout Off - The PRINTED EDITION All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: