Cape May County Forum
Cape May County Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile      Log inLog in 

price of movies at franks and the cost of soda and popcorn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cape May County Forum Forum Index -> Cape May County Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john25

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: price of movies at franks and the cost of soda and popcorn Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

I, like many other people in this county, go to the only theatre available to us. Franks in Rio Grande. Not only is the price of a movie now $10 but a small soda 12oz is $4.50. They do not want you to bring in your own but come on $4.50 for a soda. This is not like a Phillies or Eagle's game. Their prices force us law abiding adults to sneak in a bottle of water. I fear that soon they will begin to charge for using the bathroom.
Twisted Oz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Look at it this way, if you can afford to go to the movies, you can afford to buy a soda Wink
Ramjet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Frank's makes almost nothing off the ticket. Their profit is almost totally from the refreshment area. Same for all Theatres.The loger a movie runs the greater amount they make off the ticket. The big metroplex theatres ruined the industry by showing new releases on many screens. Now there is no profit left for the little guys. Everyone sees new releases in the first 2 weeks then the movie is dead.
Twisted Oz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

I had heard that Ramjet, seems hard to believe, but when you hear about new releases earning 15M the first week, those dollars are made one at a time.
Small Town Girl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Wouldn't they make more of a profit if they lowered the cost of drinks and snacks? Wouldn't people be less likely to sneak in their own food and drinks, if the movie stuff was more affordable? They should make a half price drinks and snack night and compare their profits.
Ramjet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Small Town Girl wrote:
Wouldn't they make more of a profit if they lowered the cost of drinks and snacks? Wouldn't people be less likely to sneak in their own food and drinks, if the movie stuff was more affordable? They should make a half price drinks and snack night and compare their profits.

How often is the theatre packed? What is happening is more often they are asking people to leave who sneak in food. ( I usually buy 1 popcorn and a soda and sneak candy) Share the soda. By the way I have very good inside information about this theatre. Almost all profit is made in the summer and the idea of closing during the winter is discussed on a regular basis.
Small Town Girl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

How often is the theatre packed?

I'm gonna guess in the summer on rainy days. Weekends. Big block buster release weekends.

Have they discussed half price movie tickets during the winter weekdays or half price concession prices during the winter? I guess my point is that going to see a 3D matinee movie cost $13 per person. So for me and my son to go see a movie it cost me $26 bucks and that is before the sodas and popcorn. In this area those prices are unaffordable to do on a weekly basis. Perhaps some sort of a local or frequent visitor incentive program would make people want to go more often. Everybody loves a deal or something for nothing.
Ramjet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Small Town Girl wrote:
How often is the theatre packed?

I'm gonna guess in the summer on rainy days. Weekends. Big block buster release weekends.

Have they discussed half price movie tickets during the winter weekdays or half price concession prices during the winter? I guess my point is that going to see a 3D matinee movie cost $13 per person. So for me and my son to go see a movie it cost me $26 bucks and that is before the sodas and popcorn. In this area those prices are unaffordable to do on a weekly basis. Perhaps some sort of a local or frequent visitor incentive program would make people want to go more often. Everybody loves a deal or something for nothing.

The studios set the ticket prices about 8.00 per regular movie ticket goes to the movie distributor. They can't have half price on new releases. They would lose money.This is the rule of the industry. the older the release the less money the studios demand per ticket. The manager must bring new releases in the summer so vacationers can see movies they haven't seen. They are trying to make a profit all your ideas take profit away. I almost never go to the movies anymore due to the high cost, maybe 3 a year. You have to think to yourself how much more would you go if refreshment prices were dropped or even if ticket prices were dropped. Home theatres are just as good nowadays and if you just can wait for the movie to be dvd released there is no point for the exhistance of theatres. They have to make their money quick on refreshments for the theatres and quick mass releases for the producing companies. It's the nature of the business model and it's not expected to change as long as it is working for them.
freddy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Yeah it really is a dead business. A shame but reality.
Small Town Girl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Point taken.

So will movie theatres be doomed to go the way of the old drive ins.

Ahhh the nostalgia
Ramjet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

They did very well through the recession. Pre Recession it seemed like they were going down.
PatSajak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

For being the only theater in an area that is there for many potential customers, you would think they would be packed every day.

I don't go there often but it looks busier everytime I go. Certainly better than the past couple of years. I agree that they could do more in the promotions.

$4.50 for a soda is like charging $20 for a pack of cigarettes. But as long as people do buy it, they are gonna keep selling it.
Panthers1st3pointer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

My wife and I go for the 10pm shows and we are usually THE ONLY ONE'S in the theater! Most adults are aware that HIGH concession prices are the only way for them to make money, it's just part of the cost. When you think about it, you can either support a business or not support them and watch them go under. What other entertainment can an adult couple enjoy for roughly 20.00 for 2.5 hours ?
A Heineken beer is basically 6.00 a bottle in any bar and a Baily's on the Rocks is up to 9.00 in most places! The food that you would order is also way overpriced in any restaurant if you compare it to what it cost to make yourself.
The MOVIES get a bad rap. After all of these years, it's still one of the most affordable things for a couple to do. It cost a lot of money for heat/air, employees, insurance, rent or mortgage, etc... GO ENJOY A MOVIE so we don't have to travel all of the way up to HAMILTON COMMONS. Then the cost of gas, tolls, loss of time traveling will really make the movie expensive!
Ramjet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Panthers1st3pointer wrote:
My wife and I go for the 10pm shows and we are usually THE ONLY ONE'S in the theater! Most adults are aware that HIGH concession prices are the only way for them to make money, it's just part of the cost. When you think about it, you can either support a business or not support them and watch them go under. What other entertainment can an adult couple enjoy for roughly 20.00 for 2.5 hours ?
A Heineken beer is basically 6.00 a bottle in any bar and a Baily's on the Rocks is up to 9.00 in most places! The food that you would order is also way overpriced in any restaurant if you compare it to what it cost to make yourself.
The MOVIES get a bad rap. After all of these years, it's still one of the most affordable things for a couple to do. It cost a lot of money for heat/air, employees, insurance, rent or mortgage, etc... GO ENJOY A MOVIE so we don't have to travel all of the way up to HAMILTON COMMONS. Then the cost of gas, tolls, loss of time traveling will really make the movie expensive!

Very well put. This is also why the business has done well during the recession. 30.00 2 people entertained for 2 hours really isn't that bad. It's the families that nolonger can afford the bill.
freddy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Perhaps.
Now for a family with 3 kids.
2 adult tickets-20
3 kids tickets-18
5 sodas-22.50
3 lg popcorn-25
3 box 5 box candy-25
Total-110.50.....not so cheapfor 2 hours of entertainment.
jk31668

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

high prices are needed to pay the actors etc the multi million $$ they get. just like major sports
freddy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Exactly why consumers have the ability to watch on tv and wait til a movie is on dvd. Does anyone really think the price is worth the actual entertainment?
ZER0

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Want to pack the house? Let the people use their EBT Family First card to buy the pop corn, soda and chocolate bars ! Wink
freddy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Whats EBT Family first?
Small Town Girl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

It's a welfare debit card. Instead of using food stamps you pay with the card for food and non food items.
Trailer Trash

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

We had a movie theater nearby, really nice, that was ruined by the Family First crowd..Fights, thefts, vandalism, disruptive unending chatter...Multi million dollar facility shuttered in a couple of years... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cape May County Forum Forum Index -> Cape May County Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: