Cape May County Forum
Cape May County Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile      Log inLog in 

SPout Off Print Version 7/29 - 8/5

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cape May County Forum Forum Index -> Spout Off - The PRINTED EDITION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: SPout Off Print Version 7/29 - 8/5 Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

I think we need parking meters on 10th Avenue in North Wildwood because cars park there and go to the beach and stay there until 9 p.m.
—North Wildwood
I have witnessed several accidents at the intersection of Fulling Mill Road and Rt. 47 by Menz. I’m just wondering how many accidents there will be before someone gets killed. When is the city going to put a light there? Maybe some reporters should investigate.
—Court House
I’ve seen the new renditions for the new Convention Hall. It is going to be really beautiful. My question is, why in the world do we need this? Are we crazy? Take some of that money, renovate the present Convention Hall, and be done with it? Are we nuts? Do we need to show the world that we can build a palace on the beach? There will be no parking space.
—Cape May
When you make an accusation against a party, Democrat or Republican, do your research. I’ve noticed a state of criticism against Democrats. I’m curious who sent the soldiers to Iraq three or four times? It wasn’t the Democrats. Please do yourself a favor, and when you hear an accusation, do your own research.
—Cape May County
I see the lot on Schellenger Avenue is free parking again. That’s the fourth time this year when it was supposed to have been done. Thanks mayor, we appreciate it.
—Wildwood
Cape May County has the highest rate of cancer in New Jersey. Joe Hart’s excellent article should have set off alarms all over the county. Why did the information not come from the health department? From 2001-2005, any agency of this size should have been in the media before now. We have turned the air, water, ocean, and soil into toxic waste dumps.
—Cape May County
It is important that all vehicles on the boardwalk have their lights on at all times. When it is foggy and cloudy, in the morning vehicles going up and down the boardwalk without lights are extremely dangerous. There should be an ordinance passed so that vehicles must have their lights on at all times.
—Wildwoods
To the spouter who is talking about anger management classes: While the person who needs these classes is the person who slashed the tires in the borough, they also need mental health classes. Some one who does something like that has to be mentally sick.
—West Wildwood
To all flower lovers: in the Garden Lake Mobile Home Park on Rt. 9 in Burleigh, at the end of First Street, there is a garden that is a piece of heaven. It will be a blessing to your eyes.
—Burleigh
We are visitors from New York to Stone Harbor and the way people park frustrates us. Often two cars will park where three could park. We noticed in Cape May that they have little painted lines where people can park. It would be more efficient if Stone Harbor did this. It would cut down on the parking problem and people would be happier.
—Stone Harbor
To the Spouter in Wildwood in reference to Obama in Germany: He didn’t go visit our injured soldiers in Germany because the Pentagon told him not to go. And as far as him going to the gym and working out: He did not do a work out. He was playing basketball in Kuwait with our soldiers.
—Middle Township
You think maybe it’s the water? Cape May County has the highest rate of cancer in New Jersey according to Joe Hart’s article in the Herald.
—Wildwood Crest
To all the people in Lower Township: If you don’t vote for Mike Beck, you deserve anything you get next year. I as a taxpayer am fed up with what’s going on down here, and you should be too.
—Villas
Why is a crowded beach volleyball court allowed on the 30th Street beach? Every weekend, these inconsiderate people take up a huge amount of space and crowd out other people who would want to sit there where it’s convenient to the steps and the boardwalk. Why don’t they play at 48th or 50th Street beaches where there is plenty of room and not many people?
—Avalon
I can’t believe that someone is defending the mayor’s budget. He introduced a budget of $1.8 million and they forgot he gave away the store before this change of government. No wonder the beach tags had to go up.
—Sea Isle City
Les Ray last leased the 88-acre, county-owned land on Tabernacle Road many years ago according to county records. Question: How did Freeholder Ralph Sheets plant soybeans on it and harvest them at no charge?
—Cape May County
Does the code enforcer know that the house on the end of Arizona Avenue looks worse than the public works? Isn’t he going to do anything about it?
—North Cape May
I’m from Fishing Creek and I work in Wildwood. I used to have to take Pacific Avenue because New Jersey Avenue was such a mess. Now they are both a mess. Could they please just fix one? It’s pretty ridiculous when your truck is bouncing up and down at 20 mph and there is no smooth path.
—Wildwood
A recent report indicates that 9,000 federal employees are holding positions gained by phony education credentials. Keep this in mind when you decide if Democrats are going to administer your health care for you.
—Cape May Beach
I’d like to thank the women at the township committee meeting who inquired about the money that Albrecht and Heun had paid to Middle Township. If it weren’t for them, Middle Township still would not have come up with the $182,000 owed to them. Where is the accountability in Middle Township? Who is watching our backs? We taxpayers need to know. I don’t think that articles such as were in the paper “Why Can’t They Get Along in Middle” should have been printed.
—Middle Township
I am from Michigan, and am visiting the Wildwoods for the first time. I had the misfortune of going to the visitor booth on Monday, July 28th. I use the word “misfortune” because when I walked in, one of the employees had their feet on the desk and the other was reading a book. I was appalled at the way they were dressed and the way they acted. Isn’t there some kind of dress code, and who pays these people to do nothing? I think it should be looked into. This would never happen in my home.
—Wildwood
I hope the Cape May County prosecutor’s office is investigating the wheeling and dealings that are going on in Middle Township. And if they are not, I hope that the State Attorney General’s Office is investigating the prosecutor’s office.
—Cape May County
I hope the two gentlemen who won the horseshoe championships two years in a row win again next year so they can say they have a “hat trick,” just like in hockey – the NHL
—North Wildwood
The other day at the Court House Acme, the loud speaker played the Star Spangled Banner and a musical Pledge of Allegiance. What a stunning tribute to our country in these bad times. Thanks Acme. Keep it up.
—Stone Harbor
(ED. NOTE: Did anyone stop and remain silent until it ended?)
To the spouter regarding the 53rd Street dunes: Hello! The owner may not have violated zoning laws, but by cutting down trees on the dunes, he violated the protection of our dunes and violated New Jersey’s DEP laws.
—Avalon
In response to the spout off about the Cape May County Security truck being parked under the boardwalk: the person who is so concerned about the tax payers’ money needs to look at the license plate because there is a locksmith with the same name as the county.
—Villas
Thank you, North Wildwood police. I got a ticket last week and there was no sign saying “No Parking.” Also, still at 2 a.m. the police were out there giving out tickets. I think that’s bad because people are here on vacation and people are in bed by then.
—Villas
The Avalon Police Department removed the radar spot sign from 42nd Street. This was deterring some people from speeding. Now that it has been removed, they are back to opening up the speedway here. No one does 25 mph. It is requested that for the sake of our children on 42nd Street, that the monitor be replaced. If it is being used somewhere else, the city of Avalon has enough money to get as many as they need. Also, I suggest that a police car be parked in front of behind it so that people get the feeling that we do have radar.
—Avalon
I agree with Al Campbell about eliminating fireworks. The plusses are: no setting marshes and houses on fire, no tranquilizing dogs who are scared of the noise, saving tax payers money.
—Wildwood Crest
In response to tax cuts in Middle Township: the top 10 percent of the supposed rich people pay 70 percent of the taxes in this country. The bottom 50 percent pays nothing. Huh, isn’t that something? Go ahead and get rid of the tax cuts. See how that shakes you.
—Cape May County
How does this sound? The President of the United States of America, Commander in Chief: Barack Hussein Obama. God help us.
—Cape May
Why is there no number listed anywhere for Sunset Cinema on the beach? How do they expect people to go if they do not know what and when anything is playing?
—Wildwood
To the parents of the children who knocked the benches off the promenade and who wrote obscene gestures at the gazebo: the punishment, besides payment, should be that these children couldn’t leave your side except for school. They also should visit the Holocaust Museum in Washington D.C.
—Cape May
Why does Wildwood’s trash truck have to leave through North Wildwood? They should leave through Wildwood.
—North Wildwood
(ED. NOTE: The route is more direct to the MUA transfer station on County Road 620 just off County Road 618.)

To the heroes who saved the toddler standing out on Route 9: You both should be honored in some way. As a mother, this was an article I’ll never forget reading. I just hope that further action has been taken from Child Protective Services before something else happens to that child. I’m sure God will bless both of these heroes for saving that little boy’s life. I don’t understand how that child’s mother didn’t even know her precious baby was missing.
—Villas
Thank you to the board members Jewel, Cornell and Anderson for voting against a proposed apartment complex in Rio Grande. Where are these apartment dwellers working to pay their rents? We need jobs in our community more.
—Middle Township
This is to the crybaby waitress from Wildwood. You need to find a different job. Tips are for good or excellent service. You are paid to serve me, you are paid to bring me coffee. The only reason you get a tip is for better service or excellent service — no other reason. So if one of our neighbor or Canadians only tipped you 5 percent, that is all you deserved. You must be a poor waitress.
—Crest Haven
The actions of the low life who slashed the West Wildwood resident’s tires because he supported the new mayor is a good example of what some people will do to discourage any support for the new administration. In their minds, they can say and do whatever they please, and if you disagree, you’d better watch your back.
—West Wildwood
I want to extend my best wishes and extreme gratitude to the caring gentleman aboard a sightseeing boat in the back bays of Cape May on July 26. After the sun had gone down and the skyline was black, my cat jumped into the water from my small boat. This gentleman quickly yelled to my family and I that our cat was in the frigid July water. We were able to rescue the kitten, saving my wife, children and myself much heartache. God bless you and your family, sir.
—Middle Township
From the Philadelphia Inquirer Monday July 28: Actress Jessica Lange and Sam Shepard are selling their home in Stillwater, Minn. In an interview this year with the New York Daily News, Lange said she was disappointed with Stillwater, saying it was now a "yuppified" place with too many gift shops and condominiums. Gee, that sounds familiar.
—Cape May
It is not fair that the lifeguards cannot leave a beach in a thunderstorm until all patrons are off the beach. We have seen people not pay any attention to calls for beach evacuation, thinking the storm will pass. Why should the lifeguards put their lives in jeopardy for those beachgoers that refuse to step up the pace and quickly leave the beach? Perhaps all patrols should rethink this policy for the safety of their guards.
—Wildwood
A lady attempted to rob a bank in Cape May and got a $100,000 bail. I understand this is a federal offense, but she didn't even have a weapon on her nor did she hurt or kill anyone. Someone murders another by auto and they get a lesser bail. You need to get your priorities in order.
—Court House
A special thank you should go to the person or persons who were responsible for placing the four portable toilets on our beach. What a great idea. A friendly suggestion, why not next season place the toilets in four separate places instead of one location as to make them more accessible to people on the beach.
—Wildwood Crest
I live on Shunpike Road, and almost every evening there are kids walking up and down the road here, hanging out. That's fine by me, but I just hope that a car hits none of them. Today on my way to the Acme, two of them were sitting on the shoulder of the road, laughing and talking. Where are their parents? Someone is going to get hit.
—Erma
As a hotel owner it makes me angry when thousands of people come down for a weekend and all of them sleep on the beach, eat on the pier, and spend all of their money on the boardwalk. The Moreys need to learn that everyone in this town deserves to earn a living, instead of them monopolizing everything in this town.

—Wildwood
I have to say that I really like the live, spontaneous music happening on 96th Street. I've heard two different groups of younger guys singing and playing guitar in the evenings, sounding really good. It's actually a nice change to witness this. I think they've been a pleasant surprise to a lot of locals as well as the shoobs. Thanks.
—Stone Harbor
Does anyone know what the deal is with Dune Drive in Avalon and Stone Harbor? I have always thought it to be for a single lane of traffic, and with the addition of the bike path, it seems obvious. But driving on the island the other day, it is truly unclear to everyone living and vacationing there. I was driving south in a double lane of traffic from Avalon, and when you hit 80th Street in Stone Harbor, it narrows to one lane. Being that there aren't any lines down the center of the road in Avalon, I take it to mean that it should be a single lane of traffic, correct? Clarification please.
—Court House
The clowns who are in control of our federal government in Washington have just announced that the deficit is projected to run at an all-time high. Having learned nothing, they continue to spend (our money) as if there is no tomorrow. The Senate passed an appropriation bill to increase the subsidy for Amtrak by almost 50 percent to almost two billion dollars. Amtrak always loses money but somehow the Senate keeps giving them more and more. Let's throw the rascals out. Our children and grandchildren will be paying for the Senate's deceitful behavior.
—Court House
To the dog walkers along the 100 block of Sunrise Drive, please pick up your dog's waste. We are tired of stepping in it getting in and out of our car. Don't you know it's the law to pick up after your dog?
—Stone Harbor
How many DWIs? How many of our kids will be killed? Will next one be yours? How much time is too much time? If you got one year in jail for DWI, will you drive? How much money will you pay to save your kid?
—Stone Harbor
The laity of the Catholic Church should stand together and shout in a loud unified voice to its hierarchy: Stop contaminating what is good and holy. Settle our debts of cover-up and deception. Open up the doors of the priesthood to women. Allow married clergy. Stop speeding up the destruction of Catholic churches. Start listening to the people for a change.
—North Cape May
Why won't the Wildwood Police Department give the owner of the trailer on Magnolia Avenue across the street from St. Ann Church a ticket? Does he work for the city? I thought it was illegal to park those on the street.
—Wildwood
What does Ocean City got that Wildwood does'nt? I'll tell ya, a nice family friendly town with nice stores on the boardwalk and a mayor who gives a hoot about the residents and vacationers who come there.
—Wildwood
(ED. NOTE: People who use correct grammar.)
I think that I have a solution to the 30th Street bridge problem. Instead of letting people take left and right turns just over the bridge, make everyone go straight to the next light at Dune Drive and then make their turns. Three times as many cars could make the light onto the island and you wouldn't need to widen the bridge adding a turn lane, which only solved half the problem anyway. Plus, you can do it now. You don't need to thank me, I know you’re busy building a new public works facility for the borough workers.

—Avalon
To the person saying I am out of touch with the way the world is run today, and not having a job when I was young: I had two jobs during the summer months, and one of those was full time. I was raised to be a working person not some lazy bum like the kids nowadays. I paid my dues to the working force. The kids in America are destroying it by always asking for more money when they have not even proven to the world that they can really work.
—Stone Harbor
To the gent in Middle who thinks too many questions are asked at meetings: If there were answers, there would be few questions. You yourself were present when people had to ask the results of the audit. What would have happened if no one asked? It took two years to learn what the BBZ does. And, have you ever tried to read the budget? Transparency will eliminate most questions.
—Middle Township
How can Chief Matteucci not take action when his department messed up a search warrant and allowed four individuals go free with no jail time for sexually attacking two young (12,14) females? What does the chief tell them and their parents? Lt. Frame of the Prosecutor's Office just passed it off as a mistake and said we will learn from our mistake. What are the victims going to learn about our criminal system?
—North Wildwood
President Bush lifts the Executive Order stopping drilling off the coasts and the price of oil goes from $149 to 121 a barrel. Imagine how low it would go if the Democrat Congress told their environmental money donors "No" and lifted restrictions on drilling. Drill now! Conserve now! Save our economy.
—Sea Isle City

To the person who thinks the north end of Stone Harbor should be metered: If you are serious, perhaps we should leave the meters up all year round so that we locals can fill the meters and receive $30 parking tickets. Wouldn't that be fun?
—Stone Harbor

I think it is quite funny that people write complaints about their neighbors in this column rather than taking the initiative of dealing with their issues directly. If you have a problem with talking to your neighbor about their dog "droppings" in your yard, I suggest bagging it up and tossing it back in their yard. Trust me. They will get the idea.
—Court House
The Lower Township Police could help slow down traffic on Townbank Road by using radar between the entrance to the Maude Abrams School and the Cape May Winery. The worst culprits seem to be loud motorcyclists who let 'em rip after coming off Seashore Road.
—Cold Spring
How in this day can a prisoner be searched and four officers from Ocean City not know he had a weapon on him? Where did they receive their training, and just from watching police shows, don't you handcuff someone in the back rather than the front? Maybe taxpayers need to revisit the training our police are receiving. It could have resulted in loss of life and that would have been sad just because they were not trained the proper way.
—Cape May County
The spouter from North Wildwood who believes the police are unfairly criticized shows what is wrong with our town. The police protect and serve visitors and residents. Stopping a drunk walking is ridiculous but when that same drunk can barely walk, it's justified. Drunks fall down or walk into traffic. As for enforcing parking rules/regulations, years ago this was done. Parents, elderly and handicapped persons should not have to walk in the street because some ignorant, selfish person left their car across the apron or in the crosswalk. North Wildwood has gone down hill.
—North Wildwood

The 53rd Street house in the dunes is their house. Your judgment as to whether or not it should be there, or is too big, is of little importance.
—Avalon
North Wildwood and Wildwood Crest do it, why can't Wildwood? Enforce property maintenance codes including painting and grass. Do we not have an inspector who is supposed to monitor properties and issue violations? Where is he? It seems that properties are getting worse and worse for violations and no one at City Hall cares.
—Wildwood

Regarding consolidation of Avalon and Stone Harbor schools, I'd like to correct the misinformation that nothing is being done. Legislation from Trenton calls for the executive county superintendent to "study the feasibility and potential impact" of consolidating districts into K-12 districts. This report is due to the commissioner of education in two years. Whatever is decided requires voter approval of both school districts. John McCorristin, president of Avalon BOE has been studying the issue with his board and has met with the commissioner, as has Stone Harbor. They are working on this issue.
—Avalon
Pet ownership is at an all time high. Ironically, with all the technology that is supposed to keep us "connected," we are all feeling more disconnected and looking for unconditional love. Unfortunately these poor creatures can't fill the void, nor should they be forced to. Pay attention to them and keep them quiet. Some of us are loners are in no need of people or animals. Thank you.
—Del Haven

Cape May is looking into it, SIC should too — buy a few electric SLV's for a motor pool. Let the business administrator, public property head, and others get to work in their private vehicles, as happens in the private sector. Their gas bills for personal travel should be eliminated, not paid for by taxpayers. They could use the SLV's for touring the town, which they do little of. Other city vehicles including police should be ones using low amounts of gas.
—Sea Isle City
To the spouter who thinks the North Wildwood police shouldn't enforce the laws of the State of New Jersey regarding parking: I would bet you would be the first to sue the city or police department if you had to push a baby stroller into the street and got hit, or when trying to drive across one of the streets like New Jersey and you can't see oncoming traffic until you are half across and get into an accident. They make $80,000 a year, I pay taxes; they should earn some of that.
—North Wildwood

Wal-Mart promised to 'give back to the community' when they bargained to get into Rio Grande. Well, maybe they should run for a political office since their promises are just about as hollow. When they (Rio Grande) were approached asking for a small donation of product for a local youth group, their response was an adamant no with a follow up of how they have given nothing locally since their opening last year. Does that sound like giving back to the community to you?
—Middle Township

(ED. NOTE: What about all of the $4 prescriptions?)
A lot of innuendos floating around concerning Commissioner Mike McHale’s term as mayor. A lot of people are saying he and his cronies are responsible for many of SIC's present problems. As I said innuendos, but they seem to be fact as McHale nor no one who was a commissioner at that time deny these allegations. Sea Isle will never change, small time hick town; three to five commissioners and a mayor with an aide; business administrator, new police chief and the lord only knows what else. But nothing is getting done other than taking care of a certain few.
—Sea Isle City

My family and I come to Wildwood every year for the wonderful beach. This year a group of European men are staying in a motel near ours and wear man-thongs to the beach every day. No one wants to see these overweight men in their man-thongs, especially my children who are six and eight years old.
—Wildwood
(ED NOTE: Sad, but there is no dress code that prohibits that attire. Such people should exercise discretion.)
I don't understand why people have to be so concerned with the waitresses at Uncle Bill's parking without paying their meters. Do you realize that for one season these girls have to pay $500 or more just to park their cars? Their main priority while working is not to run quarters to their meters every 30 minutes, but to bring all you lovely people of Cape May and other places their breakfast.
—Cape May
Mr. Juliano, why not sell this land on Rt. 47 to Phil Huen? This area is already zoned business and he and his family could dig up Rio Grande.
—Middle Township
The “Brett battles” story is an all too familiar story. A brave young boy struggling for life before it has even started saddens most of us. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family. Please if there is any other assistance any of us who reads this paper or any other Cape May county paper can do let us know.
—Rio Grande
Whatever happened to the parking for people without driveways or areas to park on their property? Everyone was so happy weeks ago to pay $350 for this privilege. Wasn't it supposed to start two weeks after approval? In another month the problem will vanish on its own.
—Cape May
Townbank Property Owners Association does nothing for us dues-paying members. It is a social club of a few. Important issues are ignored, such as the revaluation, tax increases and Cox Hall Creek saga. It should be called the “Whale of a Day Association” or aka Townbank Historic Corporation. Outside vendors make good money off the backs of volunteers. The Township gives free police and the services on the taxpayer. The township solicitor should investigate partnership with this group and members should reconsider affiliation when the by-laws are being ignored.
—North Cape May

Cape Regional, we see that you honor your people. You have one that we see night and day. We think he is a volunteer and security guard. This man helps everyone. Maybe you should honor him. His name is Chuck, but we all call him Mr. Cape Regional.
—Lower Township
As I read in the paper about the court’s decision on the appeal of our freeholders, I was deeply saddened. As a taxpayer, parent of three sons, and a concerned citizen about the events of the past month in our area, I am very upset about what is happening in our county. Obviously, our prosecutor is trying to make a difference, but that can’t be done if you are understaffed, your employees are underpaid and the equipment they use is outdated or sub-standard. I find it amazing that the freeholders think nothing of giving surplus funds back to the municipalities, but revel in the fact that they are somehow “sticking it “ to the prosecutor’s office that is protecting us.
—Swainton
On the evening of July 29, I was running an errand in the 96th Street retail area. I walked past a senior woman who was walking with a friend or relative. As this woman walked by me, I heard her use the terminology of “:: removed ::” and got the impression she was referring to me. I want her to know that I am a 66-year-old retired lady who happens to be a direct descendant to two of the signers of our Declaration of Independence, well dressed at all times and worked for almost 42 years at the same job prior to retiring. For anyone to make such a rude statement to me is beyond comprehension.
—Stone Harbor
The man who put the "abortion is murder" sign on Route 47 mile marker 11.5. You have so kindly included the American Flag. Last time I checked this is a sign of freedom and choice. Pick one or the other.
—Middle Township
To the inmate of the county prison: We don't care. Be happy with what you are given. It's more than you deserve.
—Wildwood
The other afternoon, I went to the park on 22nd Avenue to play tennis. I have lived here for 16 years, and was appalled to read a sign saying I had to pay $5. When did this start? I am deeply disappointed in the city of North Wildwood. I am so perturbed that the ugly world of economy has shown its face in this park. Parks are supposed to be innocent places of fun and laughter that bring us back to childhood. But the city of North Wildwood has stooped so low as to charge us money to have fun while exercising. No wonder the youth of today is overweight and unhappy.
—North Wildwood
To the person in Wildwood who doesn’t understand why we of the Assumption parish feel the way we do: How would you feel if it was St. Ann’s? And what would you do?
—Wildwood Crest
Art Hall is correct to say that Route 47 is antiquated and needs replacing. Route 55 should have been continued all the way to the Wildwoods leaving the back roads to the locals. Newer road systems and improvements are much needed here. Even the new light at 83 & 9 (which I love) still cannot stop speeders blowing through the stop/yield sign off of 83. What more can we do to get state officials involved to correct these roads?
—Ocean View
Here is an idea for the members of Dennisville council. You can help pay for police protection by getting rid of some of the township's lazy public works staff. Do these guys actually get paid to sit at the Wawa for hours? Everyone deserves a lunch break, but come on, -they are parked there all the time.
—Dennis Township
An answer to the Spout Off from last week with regard to the "bushes" at the corner of Sunset and Breakwater Road: The bushes don't block the view of Breakwater Road nor are they a hazard in any way. Several of the neighbors have small cars, and have come to the corner to see what you’re complaining about. Answer, “Unfounded." Quit your whining, and clean up your own yard. The issue that needs to be solved is you. Grow up...P.S. for your happiness, the owners have moved away because of people like you.
—North Cape May
Mr. Obama, you said that all we have to do is inflate our tires and get a tune up to save just as much gas as we would get from drilling off the coasts. Mr. Obama, we are short one million gallons of gas a day. Cars today don't get tune-ups. They have no points. We have one trillion gallons of gasoline in our continental shelf. Get your facts straight. We are not stupid. We even know that there are only 50 states, not 57 in the U.S.
—Villas
I just want to thank Dan from the beach patrol for showing my two boys how to catch crabs.
—Wildwood
In an effort to save on gas and get some additional exercise, my family and I have taken to riding our bikes to the beach. Why is it that in Cape May there is a bike rack at every beach entrance? We are hard pressed to find any bike racks to lock our bikes in North Wildwood. Let’s get on the "green" wagon and provide some bike racks to secure our bikes.
—North Wildwood
It would be great business for the island if landlords would rent Sunday through Sunday, rather than Saturday through Saturday. Why not give the vacationers Friday and Saturday to enjoy at the Shore, rather than check out on Saturday morning?
—Sea Isle City
Want to give kudos to "Just Sports" in Court House. We're down all summer and have to leave in August. (back to Pa. for football). "Just Sports" was the only sporting goods place where we could get our spikes, and other equipment. If not for them we'd have to travel to the mall, which is 50 minutes away. They have everything we needed, and their customer service was outstanding. So thank you "Just Sports," you've extended my vacation. Oh, by the way, they are extremely reasonable.
—North Wildwood
I agree with last week’s spouter regarding taxes in SIC. Here's one better. If you don’t like it here there are 11 friendly real estate agencies in town. Stop in and see one of them. I'm sure you'll make money on your investment.
—Sea Isle City
So the McHale school board members want to close the school. Now good ole' Mike McHale wants to meet with parents to work on a solution. Sounds like another flip-flop. Do all of Sea Isle a favor...stay out of this.
—Sea Isle City

I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me but it's true. A house on 45th Place is for sale. We can only hope that the mountain of misinformation and negativity will be silent and move on Townsend’s Inlet. I look forward to September when the AARP meetings start up. It'll be great to go back with the new officers at the helm.
—Sea Isle City
In response to the spouter calling New Jersey the Soprano state, I agree we have the most corrupt politicians in this state. But the two that you mentioned are not of Italian descent. Many others are, not including our governor. I take offense to the constant smearing of Italian heritage and reference to the mafia.
—North Wildwood
To the guy on Glenwood Avenue that keeps getting his tires "punctured: Stop putting spot lights on your van. It’s so bright at night it looks like daylight. No one punctured your tires; you’re being a lousy resident by blinding people at night. Please take them down.
—West Wildwood
It seems like southern New Jersey law enforcement agencies are having a complete break down. Apparently no supervision or training. Starting with the prosecutor approving an improper warrant, a judge signing it, and a detective making a basic blunder. The basics of who, what, when and where. Ocean City police missing a large weapon during a pat down, other departments framing citizens, falsifying reports etc. Where is the State AG? Investigations should be made including NJSP for protection of the citizens.
—Cape May County
How about this? All the people who want the school to remain open in spite of the cost seem concerned about how closing the school would affect our taxes. Well let's propose these families with children in SICPS be charged a 10 percent surcharge on their taxes, to pick up the salaries of the teachers they want to save. Wait till you hear this explosion.
—Sea Isle City
Every day I walk the promenade in SIC. I hope to someday be able to write how wonderful that experience is. The sun coming up of course is the highlight of the day, but the trash that I see is so upsetting. We in SIC are so lucky to have an ocean to enjoy, a sunrise and sunset out our window, but with it comes my complaint. There is trash everywhere. This is of course before the public works gets to the job. There are bottles and napkins, soda cans and water bottles either thrown on the ground or left beside the benches. As I pick them up I realize there is a trashcan at every street entrance, which leads me to my question. Do you do this at home? Do you allow your children to just drop their trash in or about your home and yard? Someone said to me one day, they pay people to do that, but I said, “This is my home. Please respect that.”
—Sea Isle City
There has been an almost 10 percent drop in the population of West Cape May in the last seven years. What is happening to our community? High taxes, law suits, zoning changes, over assessments, affordable housing, parking issues, unresponsive government, or all of the above. Looks like a lot of people from West Cape May have learned how to do the Jersey Jump.
—West Cape May

To the wife of a Lower Township police officer: Someone needs to teach you some manners. You do not have the right or authority to tell people what to do. You’re not the police, especially when you’re the one doing something wrong. Your significant other’s job title doesn't give you a safe card to do what you want. So next time you shout “My husband’s a cop for Lower Township," think about it beforehand because the likelihood of the person you’re yelling at has a significant other in the same line of work is a pretty good chance. Being in law enforcement is a big club down here.
—North Cape May
People of Upper Township: Stop your whining; if you want protection pay for it. You lived cheap for many years now it’s catching up and it hurts. You are not a rural community; you have large homes, a section on the beach, and recreation areas larger than towns. Making all kind of demands from the county such as Beesley’s Point Bridge, now you want the sheriff to patrol your area. Stop trying to be welfare community.
—Cape May County
Here's a way to save a little money at the township level. Get rid of all of the people who "work" in the Public Works Department that have a telephone on their desk but, don't bother to answer it. In other words, it's used for decoration purposes only. It used to be impossible to call them to report a flooded street during a storm; now they don't even answer when the sun's shining. Yep, they sure have my vote for Department of the Year.
—Lower Township
Regarding The Herald article "Affordable Housing Census Needs Helpers:" Once upon a time, people donated to this non-profit organization calling itself a church, specifically for this dwelling to become a place for passing-through missionaries to have somewhere to stay or use while vacationing in this area. Now it is going to be renovated for "affordable housing?" What about all the money already donated to that 'church' so that dwelling could be for missionary use? Is that going to be returned? Anything otherwise, is fraud. Shame on the pastor and elders for allowing this travesty.
—Court House
The wife and I received free water park passes. So we are having two relatives down with their three kids next week. I decided to take a drive up to the Wildwood boardwalk to see if the t-shirt shops had cleaned up their act; they didn't. So we will be going to the water park and leaving directly to come back to Cape May to buy them t-shirts. If you must sell your vulgar slogans you could at least hide them in the shop. Where is the Wildwood city council on this? I guess you need the money more than caring about the welfare of youth. Aren't you getting tired of being the punch line of jokes?
—Erma
Neither of the candidates for president impresses me very much. But I know I'm going to vote for John McCain in November mainly because of his record of service, experience and his position on issues of importance to me like the economy and national security. Barack Hussein Obama is a rookie and a novice. He has served a total of 167 days when the senate was in session. That's nothing. I've had leftovers in my refrigerator longer than that. Like some of these leftovers he's much too green.
—Avalon
It is nice that the public works department put up the handicap parking signs and painted the curbs. Now the police department must make sure all vehicles park there have handicap tags or put a ticket on it — this is not a personal parking spot for that house or family.
—Wildwood
For being the commissioner with the smallest department to control, he sure has the most to say about everyone else's department. Maybe we should give him more responsibilities with his free time instead of finding ways to poison the minds of the other three quarters of residents he hasn't reached yet.
—Wildwood
I'm going to come up with my own slogan to place on billboards around town. Instead of taxes, "Commish, No More Lawsuits."
—Wildwood
Why are our taxpayers' dollars going toward an ice hockey club at the Lower Cape May Regional High School, where the nearest ice rink is located outside of Atlantic City, while maintenance and lunchroom workers are possibly looking at being outsourced? In this time of economic restraint and deep budget cuts, it does not seem fiscally sound. Even the local spectators will have to spend a half tank of gas to see the students compete. Who is benefiting by this, 10-15 students? Let's improve the Lower Cape May Regional High School's sports record before overextending our budgets or expectations.
—Cape May
To the spouter who thinks the personnel director leaked to the public the recent promotions of five Lower Township employees: Even though we have a financial crisis, and "this is the reason she is not the manager anymore--she can't keep her mouth shut." The fact you believe how our tax money is being spent should be kept secret from us is the reason you will no longer be running this township after the election in November. We need an open, honest government. From day one you never were and never will be. We will elect someone who works for the people who elected them and not against them.
—Lower Township
Mid June, I read that Democrat-controlled Middle Township received a large Petsmart grant to help cat overpopulation. While I wait for help to alter cats in my neighborhood from this free grant money, they are reproducing kittens. This is just another example of why Democrats have the reputation of inaction and failure from local, straight through to federal levels of government. The county shelter can soon look forward to even more cats coming in from Middle Township because of this inaction. Vote Republican in November!
—Middle Township
Residents of Middle, please go to the court house and figure out how much is collected in taxes from all campground owners before you gripe about any municipal services they receive. As a site owner that pays taxes here, I don't get the things I pay for through taxes. They don't collect my trash and we can't use the schools. You don't realize how much you profit from us. Do your homework before you gripe.
—Middle Township
The zoo is one of the best places to take children. It is clean, and the animals are great and the gardens are beautiful. It gets better every year and we always have a great time. The train and merry go round are so nice and the kids running it are very nice and gave our kids an extra ride. Our only complaint is the restaurant; it is so expensive we can't afford to buy even water. Someone needs to look at those prices; it makes the boardwalk prices look cheap.
—North Wildwood

(ED. NOTE: The following Spout Off submissions were received after deadline. They are unedited. Due to required editing and production time, Spout Offs intended for the Herald print edition must adhere to published deadlines.The on-line version of Spout Off at www.capemaycountyherald.com is open 24-7 for those with Internet and computers.)

A certain high ranking employee at the LT Pub Works just had his son hired. Now anyone in line for full time will be waiting awhile because this kid will get the frist job. If that isnt bad enough this guy and one other employee aren't even given assignment they are called to work together and drive around all day looking for "refigerators" to pick up. I guess it does pay to be related to everyone in the township. Maybe his parents wont have to pay his debts to his bookie now.
Erma

So many people complain about have thier trashcans thrown into their yards by those hard working men. Well you all deserve it! You don't want to spend the money to hire any more full time employees and the current ones are over worked. Also there is a limit to how many gallons your cans are allowed to be. When you fill a 96 gallon trashcan to the top with glass bottles, and then expect some poor guy to pick it up an assisted; I'd try and smash those cans too.
Villas

The North Wildwood mayor has the audacity to say the new 2.5% state fee will hurt motel developement in this resort. What was the mayor doing when he was on council, in allowing the demolition of all the motels? He could have had his appointments on the zoning board to reject all motel demolitions and, as mayor, he could have placed a moratorum on the demolition on motels, but he did nothing of the like. Council members, the mayor and city administrator were only looking for the increased ratables instead of looking to retain this resort town...as a resort.
North wildwood

My neighbor told me they're are going to finally build another prison. Why is it these things always happen at election time? The Freeholders do nothing but fight spending money at the prison and the prosecutors office. They even saved a few dollars and made our once beautiful Veteran's Cemetary, a disgrace....yet they're there at every Memorial Day giving lip service to our veterans. George Hallett, the candidate for Sheriff, has been the only one talking about the overcrowed jail. Something tells me the breaking of the ground will happen before election day.
Swainton

I hope new Mayor Fox starts enforcing the no sleeping on boats ordinance at the Bridgeport Marina. It has turned into a camp ground and no other Marinas in town allow this and niether should the Bridgeport owners or the new Mayor.
West wildwood

To answer the spouter from West Wildwood on the subject of the black truck with-out a muffler. The gentleman is trying to fix it, He does not mean to wake up anyone. We lost both cars in the May Flood, he has had a lot of work done to his truck so he can go to Work. The muffler has been on order, we are waiting for it to come in. Since you know where the truck is from, you could have stopped by and we would have gladly explained this to our neighbor. Sorry & Thanks, Your neighbor West Wildwood
West wildwood

I really enjoyed the 4th of july boat parade - including all of the water balloon attacks. Although many kids along the bay were having a bit of fun with the boats, they were attacking back, or laughing at least. The Fourth doesn't have to be about a strict patriotic observation - its a time to have fun and celebrate! I look forward to next year.
Avalon

We would like to take the opportunity to thank the Mayor of LowerTownship and his office, the road department and the road crew that worked on our street at Crescent and Woolson to fix the standing water problem. It was done in a timely matter and we would like to say it was a job well done! Again, thank you for taking care of this for us.
Erma park

Is a member of the Cape May County Emergency Management Team which is a highly paid position allowed to use a county vehicle to take his daughter to and from work in Wildwood everyday. This is gross abuse of the position. Both he and his superiors should loose their jobs!
Lower township

Cape May County Freeholders Ralph Bakley and Ralph Sheets should be ashamed of themselves for failing to stand up for Law Enforcement in Cape May County. As retired Police Officers these "supposed" Law and Order advocates opposed efforts to give the County Prosecutor the staff and tools he needs to do his job properly to protect the residents of Cape May County. Shame on you Ralph and Ralph. We in Law Enforcement will not forget.
Avalon

RECENTLY ON 47 IN RIO GRANDE A TREE BRANCH FELL THRU MY WINDSHIELD CAUSING ALOT OF DAMAGE TO MY CAR. THANK GOODNESS NO ONE WAS SITTING IN THE PASSENGER SEAT. SINCE THAT HAPPENED I SEE THE TREE HAS BEEN CUT DOWN. I HOPE NO ONE ELSE HAS HAD TO GO THRU WHAT I DID. THERE WAS ALOT OF DAMAGE BUT NOT ENOUGH FOR MY 1000 DEDUCTIBLE TO KICK IN SO I AM STUCK WITH PAYING THE HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS TO GET IT FIXED. THIS TREE SHOULD HAVE BEEN GONE ALONG TIME AGO. AND THANK GOODNESS LIKE I SAID IT WASNT WORSE
Green creek
I sent my grandson to go down and get hoagies for the whole family on Saturday but the Rio Fire Station were already sold out and this was well before 12pm. That is when people eat lunch isn't it? They should have put up a sign on what time they would be available from; we would have glady gone earlier.
Villas

Parents, Did your child come home with a new Maroon 26 inch boys mountain bike. It was my son's birthday present. Your child's bike, a blue and silver 20 inch Mongoose had a flat tire so they came into my backyard and helped them self to my son's new bike and left their bike in its place. I can't afford to buy him a new bike and the one you left is too small for him. Please return the bike and take yours with you no questions asked.
Green creek

Parents of students in Middle Township Middle School, Did your child come home with a black HP Digital camera with a memory card after the kids did the Civil war reinactment. Its was taken from my daughter's bag along with her ipod. The ipod was returned, thanks to one of her friends who saw the kids who took it with it and they denied they had the camera, but I 'm sure they know who does. I'd like it returned. I worked very hard to save the money to get it for her and and would like an honest person to return it
Green creek

Can someone please explain how the street light on 45th street outside of city hall has been out for such an extened period of time? Walking on the 100 block of 45th street after dark is like walking thru a forest. This needs to be addressed before someone gets seriously injured walking down the street.
Sea isle city

Once again we follow Avalon's lead and have iinitiated bike lanes on 2nd Avenue. It's like the Ocean City Boardwalk throught the entire day. Constant bike riders at night with no lights. I'm waiting for a lawsuit against the borough for not enforcing lights on bikes at night.
Avalon

Why are all the new business ventures in this town either a pizza, ice cream or tee shirt shop? Can't we come up with some new upscale clothing shops? Maybe even an entire men's store? The current store owner's /Robber's have the same old inventory and are ridiculusly over priced. Let's get with it Stone Harbor!
Stone harbor

As a visitor to Cape May County I had the opportunity to play a round of golf at the Wildwood Golf and Country Club. What a great experience. The staff was very helpful and friendly and the course was superb. Cape May should be very proud of this hidden gem. I look forward to my return and another chance to play golf here again. This place was what golf should be.
Villanova, Pa.
TO THE TWO KIDS THAT WERE DRIVING THE GOLD CAR NEAR TRANQUILITY PARK TUESDAY NIGHT, THAT DECIDED TO RUN ME OFF THE ROAD, I HOPE YOU ARE VERY PROUD OF YOURSELF. YOU RAN ME OFF THE ROAD THEN SPED AWAY LIKE A MORAN. THE DAMAGE THAT YOU CAUSED IS COSTING ME ALOT OF MONEY AND BIG DEAL OF STRESS. IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFORMATION REGARDING THIS ACCIDENT PLEASE FORWARD YOUR COMMENTS TO hitrunvictim@yahoo.com
villas

We are pleased to announce that at the first annual Andrews Ave. Bowling Tournament, condos beat the townhouses. The first game was close but in the second the condos took about a 30 point lead and it was no contest. A rematch has been requested but condos don't want to embaress townhouses any further, it just wouldn't be fair! See you next year so be there!
Wildwood

I have a summer home in the wildwood's we love our house and we are the and supports of the wildwood police drept, , It was last Saturday Night wehe I came to the Wildwood Police Dept. .Officder di falcooe cll a cab for my family the cab wouldof taken 45 min, to ARRIVE officer DI FALCO call for a police car to drive around in hopes we would spot it after 2 9 min we foungd the car wright were i havd park it ..Thank occicer aboud and officer Didfalco ...Thank you w.p.d'
Philadelphia

My family and I have been coming to Wildwood Crest my entire life. My wife and Aunt have always enjoyed reading Spout off each week during the summer. It has provided us with good laughs during cocktail hour. However, for years I have heard them talk about doing their own Spout off and never have done it. I wanted to be the first in my family to finally actually do it! From Dan for Pat and Aunt Dot in the Crest.

We the tax payers bought sod and bushes for around the new addition to the High School, and instead of returning what was'nt used Walter Landgraf took the school pick ups and done his yard with them and also used the landscapers from school to plant them. That is stealing so why does the board members and the superintendent allow this? what are they getting with your tax dollars?

I WISH TO COMMENT ABOUT THE LADY THAT WORKS AT THE 42ND STREET IN SEA ISLE,SHE IS ALWAYS PLEASANT AND VERY HELPFUL. SHE EVEN HELPS PUT BOATS IN THE WATER, MAKES SURE THE CARS ARE PARKED SAFELY AND EVEN GAVE MY CHILDREN INSTRUCTIONS ON SAFETY ON THE WATER AND SURPRISINGLY KEPT THEIR INTEREST.WE SHOULD HAVE MORE EMPLOYEES LIKE THIS WORKING FOR OUR COMMUNITY. MY HAT GOES OFF TO THE LADY AT THE WATER.
Sea isle city

When did wildwood get a long term boat storage site? On west oak ave there has been a boat there all season. Now the residents know where we can park our boats and trailers and not worry about getting a ticket. Nobody cares or enforces the ordinance,so lets fill that lot up with our boats and trailers!!!!
Wildwood

To the lady in the Yellow and Black Bug Car that always comes speeding down Starling Ave, PLEASE SLOW DOWN!!!!!!! There are many children playing, including mine! Today you didn't even attempt to slow down and wait for the kids to go to the side of the road on their bikes, you just swerved around them. Next time I am calling the police and filing a report. You should be more careful you see them out there it won't hurt to slow down like every other person does!!
Burleigh

this to all non-locals .STOP calling yourselves locals .BIG deal you have a house/pay taxes down here.THERE is one thing we locals can do and you can not IT IS CALLED VOTING.maybe what we should do to please you is have a summer mayor for those 90 days your here . .buttom line here is .your not a local all you are is a bunch of non-locals trying to fit in 8/03/08
stone Harbaor

I am writing in about a few of the Spout Offs written a couple weeks ago about the lazy teenagers these days. I have to say that I am very upset to be put into such a broad stereotype. I personally work at least sixty hours a week, six days a week. Many of my friends do the same thing... we all realize that college isnt going to pay for itself so we put in the long hours. I just wish that sometimes we could get the credit we deserve for the long hours we put into our jobs instead of being thrown into the category of "lazy".
Dennisville
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cape May County Forum Forum Index -> Spout Off - The PRINTED EDITION All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: