Search
Close this search box.

Thursday, April 25, 2024

Search

Fishing Line: Jan. 10

Courtesy Starlight Fleet
A nice big sea bass for this lady angler.

By Mark Robbins

Let me say happy new year. I know we’re now 10 days into the new year, but I was so busy with the previous column, and during that time frame, that I didn’t think to send those wishes along with the fishing report. I hope your new year started well, is still going that way, and will be good for the continuation of the year. Now, there has been some fishing recently so let’s check things out.

The Starlight Fleet sailed their final sea bass trip of 2023 a couple of days before the turn of the calendar. Everyone left the boat happy, so let’s see why.

This trip was the annual Paul Guris’ charter, which enjoyed an “excellent day” of fishing. There were plenty of sea bass to go around. Limits were spread all around the boat as some of those fish weighed up to 7 pounds.

The pool winner was Chris Barker, who limited out and caught the 7-pounder. Other highlighted catches went to Amy Davis, with a limit and fish to 6.5 pounds, Mike Fritz, with a limit and fish to 6 pounds, and Paul Guris, who limited out with fish to 6 pounds.

Staying with the Starlight Fleet, we’ll check out the latest, and last, blackfish report from Capt. Paul for 2023. The crowd was a nice group of anglers that saw Rich Ross Jr. win the pool with a 4-pounder. Lisa Russo, a local from Wildwood Crest, also caught a nice keeper that provided her with a nice dinner. The anglers enjoyed a nice day on the water that left those aboard longing for more.

A big blackfish. Courtesy Starfish

The Starfish has been blitzing the blackfish recently. Nice fish have cleared the rail, including a big, double-digit fish, and some limits were realized.

Heading into the holiday weekend, the Friday fishing was steady with some nice roasters, and limits spread amongst the patrons. Saturday saw another steady day with similar results. The Sunday trip had the distinction of seeing one of the larger fish that has been reported this blackfish season. In addition to the limits caught, there was a big, double-digit blackfish, one tipping the scales at 16 pounds. The angler was unidentified, so we’ll respect that. After taking Monday off, the Tuesday trip produced fish up to 6 pounds and a few limits around the boat.

Happy anglers with their catches of striped bass. Courtesy Stalker Fishing Charters, Cape May

Capt. Skip from Stalker Fishing Charters, Cape May, is sailing for, and putting his patrons on, striped bass. His trips to the ocean have paid off nicely. If you want to book a trip then you need to give him a call at 609-972-5218 to see what opportunities are available.

Capt. Bob, from Full Ahead Sport Fishing, Cape May, has wrapped up his 2023 season. He’ll do some regular maintenance, but doesn’t plan to do anything major. He wanted to thank those who fished with him this season and also wanted to mention that he is booking up fast for 2024. He is planning to hit the water starting in April. Thanks, Bob, enjoy your break, and I’ll look forward to reporting on your trips in 2024.

A couple things to remember so you don’t get in hot water are that sea bass season is now closed and that the backwaters are now closed to striped bass fishing. Fishing in the ocean for striped bass is fine, as long as you stay within 3 miles of the shore. Also, make sure you follow all size and bag limits.

There isn’t too much to report on, but that goes with the time of the year. There is still some fishing occurring and we’ll keep you up to date on it. Good luck if you get out, take care, and I’ll see you around.

Submit fishing news and photos to mrobbins@cmcherald.com.

Columnist

Author of The Fishing Line, a regular column published in the Cape May County Herald covering the local fishing scene.

Spout Off

Cape May – Why are spouters blaming the Biden Administration for what is happening on college campuses with regards to free speech?

Read More

Cape May County – Why do CMC, commissioners allow employees to take vehicles home? Also,do the employees who take these vehicles home pay monthly for this? Are the monthly payments several hundred dollars or peanuts?…

Read More

Avalon – They need a weed store in Stoned Harbor. It would push weeds sales over a billion dollars for the state and parking fines in the millions for Stoned Harbor! But most people will be too stoned to care…

Read More

Most Read

Print Edition

Recommended Articles

Skip to content