Search
Close this search box.

Friday, April 26, 2024

Search

A Thank You to Cape May Residents

By Tracy Duval, Fort Myers, Florida

To the Editor:

I am an outsider to Cape May, but got to experience the genuineness that exists in this community and felt compelled to write this. I am not a writer, but a teacher and more importantly a mother of a Coast Guard recruit. I have spent the last eight weeks wondering how my recruit was doing and hearing small blurbs about his experience. Listening to his experience created a sense of wondering about Cape May, specifically surrounding the residents.

I got to experience Cape May this past week on my trip to pick up my recruit as he graduated boot camp. I saw a sign that read Cape May New Jersey A Proud Coast Guard Community. Those aren’t just words, as many Cape May residents live this and I know this firsthand. Jim and Sherri opened their home to my son and his fellow recruits for a wonderful Thanksgiving meal. He felt cared for and full. Thank you, Jim and Sherri, and all of the other families who do the same! Your hospitality means more than you could possibly know.

On my recruit’s only weekend of off-base liberty, he and a fellow recruit decided to eat at The Oyster Bar Restaurant and Bar. The lady who sat at the bar, without my son initially knowing, paid for his and his fellow recruit’s meals. They were touched by your generosity! So was I. Thank you!

Then, the volunteers that stood at the gates after graduation waving flags of support and thanking the recruits and their families brought us to tears, as their well wishes felt so sincere. There must have been 30 people who took time out of their day to say thank you!

Before leaving Cape May we had a few hours to spend in the Washington Street area of Cape May and we watched the local residents interact with the recruits asking them questions about how much time they had left in training and other questions and it was just delightful to hear them being thanked for their sacrifice and dedication as new recruits.

Cape May is truly a unique town where the gratitude towards the recruits is palpable. Cape May residents, you have a special place in my heart. Thank you for truly taking care of my son and all of the other recruits who pass your way during their time at boot camp.

TRACY DUVAL

Fort Myers, Florida

Spout Off

Avalon – The US will be begging people to come here in a few short years.The Florida Policy Institute estimates this immigration law could cost the state's economy $12.6 billion in its first year. That…

Read More

Cape May County – Analysis paralysis? I recommend not calling a democrat if we plan for war. They’ll demand an environmental impact study on our enemies country before we can make a move to retaliate, then send our…

Read More

Cape May – With all of our attention on future effects of climate change we neglect other more current threats to our environment. Plastics are a more pressing threat to our oceans and waterways. We should take…

Read More

Most Read

Print Edition

Recommended Articles

Skip to content