Cape May County Forum
Cape May County Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile      Log inLog in 

Morey'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cape May County Forum Forum Index -> Cape May County Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JerseyShore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
It is my understanding that people working on the piers continually call the police departments who then dispatch officers to the piers for everything from unruly guests refusing leave to children separated from a parent

Two perfectly good examples of situations where the police SHOULD be involved, particularly if a child is lost. With some of the logic being thrown around here, the police shouldn't be helping out any business on the boardwalk, let all of them get private security guards. In most situations where a security guard has to take action the police will need to be called anyway, security guards are only really useful as a visual deterrent and loss prevention.

I have been on the boardwalk enough to know there aren't cops all over Morey's piers, in fact, I can't even recall seeing any on the piers. The reason you may see some on the front of the piers where they meet the boardwalk is because they are high traffic areas, particularly in front of Mariner's Landing where Raging Waters also has an entrance and the tendency for Boardwalk Central to be very busy. You are more likely to have an incident there than in front of the convention center where there are no stores and much less activity. It's the same in Point Pleasant and Seaside Heights, the areas in front of the rides attract a huge volume of people and any incident can quickly escalate.

I do agree that some units need to remain mobile though, you can have people posted to small areas to keep a close eye on any developing situations but it wouldn't hurt to have a few officers constantly on the move. Visual presence alone will prevent many issues from even happening.
eyenstein

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

JerseyShore wrote:
eyenstein wrote:

ps. Why are the boards in front of Morey's flagship pier different from the rest??

I believe the city was working on rebuilding the boardwalk for most of the length before part of the project got partially scrapped for a watered down version that only involved work on the upper part of the deck. Oh and why is it different? Because between the enviro-nuts and a means to save some money the other phases of the boardwalk repair were done with a cheaper hardwood and the cement tramways were left intact. If you saw the condition of the support structure when they had the boardwalk ripped up you would have seen how badly this project was really needed.

When the boardwalk in front of every Morey property gets special Brazilian decking come back and talk to me.

I stand by my observation.

The section in front of Morey's flagship pier was rebuilt from the ground up with NEW decking that is EXCLUSIVE to his pier. You can spin it anyway you want. A FACT is a FACT. The support structure CAN"T be any different anywhere else. It's all the same age.

A CHEAPER HARDWOOD, give me a break, it's treated lumber.
JerseyShore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

eyenstein wrote:
JerseyShore wrote:
eyenstein wrote:

ps. Why are the boards in front of Morey's flagship pier different from the rest??

I believe the city was working on rebuilding the boardwalk for most of the length before part of the project got partially scrapped for a watered down version that only involved work on the upper part of the deck. Oh and why is it different? Because between the enviro-nuts and a means to save some money the other phases of the boardwalk repair were done with a cheaper hardwood and the cement tramways were left intact. If you saw the condition of the support structure when they had the boardwalk ripped up you would have seen how badly this project was really needed.

When the boardwalk in front of every Morey property gets special Brazilian decking come back and talk to me.

I stand by my observation.

The section in front of Morey's flagship pier was rebuilt from the ground up with NEW decking that is EXCLUSIVE to his pier. You can spin it anyway you want. A FACT is a FACT. The support structure CAN"T be any different anywhere else. It's all the same age.

A CHEAPER HARDWOOD, give me a break, it's treated lumber.

Its not exclusive to his pier, its exclusive to boardwalk central. His pier did not receive 1 plank of the new decking, and if you read my previous comment you would have realized that this project was supposed to continue down the boardwalk in sections every winter but because the project was stripped down they used a cheaper hardwood as opposed to the Brazilian wood used at Boardwalk Central which is much more durable, and they left the old cement tramways in place instead of replacing them like they did in the initial project. The Brazilian stuff is very smooth and is holding up great, the stuff they have been putting in since then is already bumpy and warping. I'm not spinning anything, you are obsessed with trying to find anything ever done in Wildwood and trying to turn it into "they did it for Morey! they did it for Morey!" Boardwalk Central is the widest and probably the busiest section of boardwalk with the amusement pier, water park (which is not owned by the Moreys) and numerous arcades and food stands on all sides and was a great place to start the project and then continue south from. As it was the first phase covered a lot more area then just right in front of the pier. Every business in the vicinity benefited and its very nice to walk on. Its a shame the city doesn't have its act together as this project as originally intended could have progressed much further by now.
Gru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Central area of the Boardwalk was rebuilt. It was in very bad shape and the new part can support emergency vehicles. It involved structural, electrical, and other infrastructure work.

The Boardwalk was re-decked from Schellenger to Montgomery two years later. Different project but still necessary. WW was able to get a great deal on the wood and the project was done by public works. It was a terrific band-aid done at the right time.

Decking in front of the piers is considerably better and more expensive than the wood on the rest of the boardwalk (pine vs. Ipe). Plus the block in front of the piers that was replaced was the worst on the boardwalk. It was not even wood it was concrete, both difficult and expensive to maintain.

Last edited by Gru on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Gru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

JerseyShore,

Just to add, the re-build project was to continue north. The re-decking project was done to the south. The projects were mutually exclusive. I don't know the status of the re-built but I don't believe that the secondary project was a substitution for the first. Both were worthwhile and desperately needed. The fact that our public works did the work was a bonus.
captbligh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

grandjury wrote:
nothingbutthetruth wrote:
Gru wrote:
spazcat wrote:
Gru how about if the jobs paid more? nah, that would never work! the J-1 program is another way for employers to get out of paying a fair wage. that is its only purpose mo money, ,mo money, mo money! and think its bad now wait till immigration reform! Cool

What would you suggest? How much should busboys and chambermaids make? How much extra are you willing to pay for services to subsidise this "fair wage"?

Good question... what do you think is a "fair wage" for, say, a chambermaid? I know foreign students willing to work for $8-9 per hour doing housekeeping, while the American kids ask for $11-12/hr starting out. Rolling Eyes

Imagine that Exclamation a senior citizen, a war veteran, a mother or father trying to make extra money to support their kids, how dare they ask for $480.00 for a forty hour week before taxes. Who are they to demand a fair wage when M can borrow the blood diamond kids, or sweat shop kids Question

If i'm bringing home approximately $1400 after taxes, how would I possibly survive Question How much does it cost for a large bucket of those french fries Question how much does regular gas cost Question What does it cost to feed a modest family of three in a week Question In all fairness, this is a state/federal goverment issue that needs to be addressed. However, M does not have to take advantage of the situation by turning their backs on some truly amazing Americans
ff 1.00 gas 3.40 family 120.00 if thier not pigs
spazcat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

you got absolutely nothing right, congrats. did you have a point? i hope it wasn't that a family of three could live on $1400 a month. where did you come up with $1 for a "large bucket" of fries on the boardwalk? how much is healthcare a month for a family of 3? rent? hopefully you were trying (failing miserably) to be funny. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cape May County Forum Forum Index -> Cape May County Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: