Cape May County Forum
Cape May County Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile      Log inLog in 

Morey's Splash Zone Who's Beach is it anyway?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cape May County Forum Forum Index -> Cape May County Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Morey's Splash Zone Who's Beach is it anyway? Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

http://www.nj.com/cape-may-county/index.ssf/2013/01/wildwood_gears_up_for_jersey_shore_summer_upgrades_set_for_moreys_splash_zone.html

Every winter, the Morey family prepares to unveil its latest attractions for summer.
The changes can be small, such as a new picnic area, or more substantial, such as a redesign for an existing ride.

Or, in some cases, they can be transforming, such as the plan for a new wooden roller coaster that will one day traverse the beach and run between two seaside piers."

If we want to differentiate ourselves, then the tools to do that are larger, one-of-a-kind attractions," Jack Morey, vice president of Morey's Piers told The Press of Atlantic City.

This summer, plans for the pier include a complete renovation of the log flume, development of an art colony made from shipping containers, new seating and shaded areas at Mariner's Landing Pier complete with benches that will carry QR codes for smartphone users interested in the amusement company's history. The plans also include a "super secret" project involving software that will allow riders to keep track of just about everything they do, from the number of times they go upside down to how many rides they've been on.

The Moreys aren't the only ones planning new attractions. Splash Zone Water Park is also planning a new attraction that spokeswoman Erin Ruppenthal said would be the largest single expenditure in its history. The nearly $2 million attraction has not yet been unveiled.

The company is also planning to revamp its season pass program with larger discounts for passes purchased prior to April 1, Ruppenthal said.

At Morey's, many of the new ideas can be traced back to trips to places such as Disney World and New Zealand and other parts of the world, but the trick is making them for Wildwood.

"We're forever trying to sculpt an environment that can really only be found in Wildwood," Morey said.

And while it's still in the planning stages, discussion can't help but turn to plans for the new coaster, a $12 million investment that would measure 100 feet tall at its peak and stretch about 3,500 feet from start to finish between Surfside Pier and the former Hunt's Pier.

"The beach crossover is definitely iconic," Morey said. "It will be scenic to ride it and scenic to watch it."

The coaster has been in the works for several years, and once word leaked that the company was planning to build the new attraction, the calls started coming.
How often does he hear from coaster enthusiasts about the ride? "Too often," Morey said. "I almost wish we would have kept it secret."

Plans for a new coaster began as Morey and his brother, Will, president of Morey's Piers, talked about what they could do next.

Will Morey also is chairman of the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions, a volunteer position once held by Wildwood amusement icon Bill Hunt. Hunt was one of the early amusement pier operators, purchasing what was then Ocean Pier in 1935 and creating Hunt's Pier, which featured a roller coaster and Ferris wheel, among other rides.

"We wanted to do something big. We were due. Then the question was, what should it be?" Jack Morey said.

The brothers and other company representatives regularly travel to amusement parks around the world looking at what works and what doesn't.

Trips to parks in England and Spain led to the idea of a spinning coaster, but "we couldn't make it fit right," Jack Morey said.

They then turned to the wooden roller coaster, a combination of a traditional seaside attraction built with modern engineering.

"So we chose wood, and then we fought like dogs on how to do it," Jack Morey said.
The fight led to a coaster that will move between two piers and make use of a tunnel, complete with dark spots under the pier, and the scenic views provided by the island's expansive beach and Boardwalk.

"The high-thrill family ride," Jack Morey said, "merges the past and future together."
"It'll appeal to kids who are riding a coaster for the first time. It'll appeal to coaster aficionados, and it might be their 10,000th ride," he added.

Mayor Ernie Troiano Jr. said the new coaster is bound to be a draw that sets Wildwood apart in a competitive tourism market.

"I think it's real important that you're always trying to be a leader. Anytime you can be a leader with attractions it's important," Troiano said.

Cape May County Director of Tourism Diane Wieland said new attractions in Wildwood generate excitement and visitors.

"It's always good because people are looking for something new and different," she said.

The name of the new attraction, however, is still on the drawing board.
Jack Morey offered two options, jokingly calling his brother's suggestion the more boring one.

The Boardwalk Flyer is Will Morey's idea, he said. The Wildwoody is his.
Great Coasters International Inc., based in Sunbury, Pa., will manufacture the ride.
Now, the question is when can construction begin?

"It is likely we will decide sometime in the middle of summer," Jack Morey said. And once construction starts, it should take about a year and a half to build.

"It's about overall confidence in the business climate as well as being satisfied that we have appropriate long-term unified plans for parking," Jack Morey said.
Parking is a concern, particularly because the pier operator expects the new coaster to draw a significant number of new visitors.

A feasibility analysis by Economic Consulting Services anticipated an increase of 300,000 visitors to the island over a 10-year period, and those new visitors will need places to eat, shop, stay and park.
Tra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

This sounds like a permenant structure. It is my understanding the Morey's are operating under some kind of Carnival, temperary structure, and thus not have to pay taxes on the full depth of the board walk? Correct me if I am wrong. And how would this fit in? with that being said, I don't want to lay in the shadow of a Morey roller coaster when I'm enjoying MY BEACH.
Twisted Oz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Not to worry Tra, they will build it far enough away from the Tax Zone, that the new ride will be exempt. And of course it will be portable. It can be taken down and stored at the end of each season, as are all his rides Rolling Eyes
grandjury

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

@ Hammer - Would you like to share Question
wildwoodhaze

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

"It's about overall confidence in the business climate as well as being satisfied that we have appropriate long-term unified plans for parking," Jack Morey said.
Parking is a concern, particularly because the pier operator expects the new coaster to draw a significant number of new visitors.

A feasibility analysis by Economic Consulting Services anticipated an increase of 300,000 visitors to the island over a 10-year period, and those new visitors will need places to eat, shop, stay and park."

Hmm??? Parking??? Is Jack going to get the city to build his parking garage? Is that the true reason behind the city wanting to purchase the land on Pacific Ave? Is this the reason Ryan has been creating such a stir? Do Tell???
Tra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

I do hope the watchdogs look into this. The only thing Wildwood has going for it at the moment is the beach, and they look like they are taking that away. But that's ok, because they are gonna let me create a job for Prince Ryan...........Thanks Mayor!!!!

Can we get that Recall going again?
JerseyShore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Tra, politics aside, this new roller coaster isn't going to effect anyone on the beach. It's going to be traversing the piers on the back of the beach near the boardwalk, a good 1/4 mile away from the water where people are sunbathing.

I can't speak on the legality of what goes on with the tax situation, portable rides, etc. as I'm not well versed in that and I'm not about the pretend I am, but this project which the Morey's are spending a ton of money on isn't going to cause any harm to you or me. No one wants a broken down dirty amusement park in their town, expensive upgrades like this keep it fresh and that is a good thing. Again, politics aside, the Morey's run a very clean and very safe park, something that many, many amusement parks lack, especially ones not owned by corporations.

That being said I don't think one new roller coaster warrants a parking garage being constructed.
Tra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

@Jersey Shore, the plans are much bigger than a roller coaster. What's in it for the taxpayer, it's our beach? Where is our relief. I believe that this is just the beginning and the parking garage is a BIG part of this, and the city seems to want to foot the bill in an effort to create more jobs. The more I dig, the more I'm finding out and none of it is good for the taxpayer.
spazcat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

if anybody remembers when bad idea #346 the one where they were gonna charge beach fees came up, it was revealed there was around 8 blocks of beach front that didn't belong to the city. it was one of the reasons they :: removed :: canned the idea. Cool
Scorpion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

spazcat wrote:
if anybody remembers when bad idea #346 the one where they were gonna charge beach fees came up, it was revealed there was around 8 blocks of beach front that didn't belong to the city. it was one of the reasons they :: removed :: canned the idea. Cool

When you have no idea of what your talking about, you should just remain silent. What do these blocks have to do with anything Morey or roller coaster.................
NOTHING SPAZ, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Laughing

" i have scorp on ignore as everyone but scorp knows."
spazcat 9/23/2013
spazcat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Capt. Oblivious once again not understanding how ignore works... Laughing
Scorpion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

spazcat wrote:
Capt. Oblivious once again not understanding how ignore works... Laughing

Capt Oblivious must be spazrats new alt. Laughing Laughing

spazcat 9/23/2013
spazcat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

...and yet again. Shocked
barracuda

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

There are quite a few parking lots very close to the beach. They are all just dirt unimproved lots, so taxes are probably pretty cheap. I believe if there was money to be made on a multi-level parking lot, surely one or several of these unimproved dirt parking lots would have built one by now.
It's a three month seasonal economy and whoever built/owned a multi-level parking facility would get killed paying taxes on it for only 3 months income. The only way I could see it might work, is if the city allowed someone to build a multi-level parking facility and give them a tax abatement.
eyenstein

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Check out the beach. Completely flooded from the Hall to 26 th street. "Prince Ryan's Rowboats" might be a new endeavor. Laughing Laughing
JerseyShore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Tra wrote:
What's in it for the taxpayer, it's our beach?

You can ride an awesome new roller coaster across the beach, for a few dollars Wink

The back of the beach is wasted space. Personally I think they should allow some large natural dunes to grow like they did in the Crest, it will help ease the flooding issue on the beach and be good for wildlife, not to mention it will look nice. A small section of roller coaster traversing a small section of back beach between two piers isn't a big deal, its not like a majority of the ride is being built on the beach. Will the coaster help taxpayers? Well not much. The Morey's keeping their pier competitive with top amusement operators certainly is good for the "look" of the town, you don't want to end up with a has-been amusement park that slowly rusts to pieces.

Look, taxpayers in Wildwood have plenty to be upset about, but the new coaster itself isn't one of them. You also need to remember the sole purpose of a business is not to make the life of local taxpayers better beyond whatever product or service they offer. That's not to say local governments should be using tax payer dollars for special projects (parking garages) but the Morey's aren't an enemy to Wildwood. I don't see any other business spending millions of dollars a year on the island, and their amusement parks are enjoyed by locals and tourists alike every year, and have for decades and decades, not to mention they offer some of the cleanest and nicest lodging on the island. If there was a competent government in place Mr. Morey wouldn't get any special treatment and most of your other problems would go away.
eyenstein

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

With the BILLIONS of Tourist Dollars coming into Cape May County, NO ONE should be paying the property taxes we are currently paying. NO HOW, NO WAY.
SHOREMAN

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

@ Barracuda

You make a great observation about the parking garage situation. That's exactly why no one, not even the Morey's have built one already, because it doesn't make sense financially for anyone to build a $26 million parking garage for a three month economy. Studies that were paid for already said it wasn't financially feasible for a 3 month economy and would cost in excess of $500,000 per year just to maintain a parking garage that would be vacant approximately 9 months a year. The taxpayers are already overburdened and cannot afford such a ridiculously bad investment with their tax money. Anyone who tries to get a parking garage that the taxpayers would have to maintain or spend any portion of money to build, should immediately be run out of town.
TheHammer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

It is important to look beyond the concept that the parking garage will be a revenue center. Nobody has ever pitched that a parking garage in and of itself will bring millions to the coffers. It is part of a way bigger picture that is one ingredient to bolstering the local economy which will eventually add to the coffers and stabilize taxes. You have to look at the big picture.

The MTA transportation system in NYC operates at over a BILLION dollar deficit annually, at a cost to the NYC taxpayers. Yet it is a key component to the NYC economic engine and isn’t going away anytime soon.

On a much, much smaller scale, the parking garage is being pitched on the same principle and is a key component of the Wildwoods Vision 2015 plan that all three municipalities and multiple business leaders embraced years ago.

In the short term, the parking garage will create jobs and eleviate a key hurdle to island economic development and investment; the parking issue. If you don’t solve the parking issue, the local economy cannot move forward, period.

So the garage is built, more parking is offered and as a result the Boardwalk, the main economic hub experiences more visitation and spending. Yes the Morey’s would hopefully benefit, as would hundreds of other businesses. This garage isn’t about the Morey’s.

So more $$ is spent during the summer and this attracts more investment, more jobs, property values rise as do ratables, permits and fees, and all of a sudden the island, and its taxpayers are benefitting from this boost in economic activity.

And if you think that just the Morey’s will benefit, you are not looking through the trees. The entire island, and city coffers will reap the benefits of more heads in beds and longer lengths of stays.

But if you want this garage project to be a stand alone revenue center and produce a P&L in the black, you are simply not looking at the big picture at what would actually save this sinking ship.
Twisted Oz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

N Wildwood is in better financial shape than Wildwood, why not build the coaster and garage in N. Wildwood, in order to facilitate and justify the proposed Hotel./ Waterpark at 22nd. and the Boardwalk. Do you think you can sway N. Wildwood taxpayers to think along the lines you suggest?
SHOREMAN

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

TheHammer said: "On a much, much smaller scale, the parking garage is being pitched on the same principle and is a key component of the Wildwoods Vision 2015 plan that all three municipalities and multiple business leaders embraced years ago."

If what you said above is true, then no parking garage should be built on the island until North Wildwood, Wildwood, West Wildwood and Wildwood Crest are consolidated into one municipality. I doubt the other three towns would ever agree to building a $26 million parking garage in their municipality to be used for only three months.

TheHammer also said: "But if you want this garage project to be a stand alone revenue center and produce a P&L in the black, you are simply not looking at the big picture at what would actually save this sinking ship."

One of the reasons this ship is sinking is all the money spent on changing the zoning and pilings tests, engineering companies studies, etc., etc. for the high rises that never came about. And now you want us taxpayers to pay for your parking garage because the DEP won't approve any high rises until there is a parking garage in place. Therefore, the developers of the high rises will make a fortune and probably get tax abatements which the remaining taxpayers will have to make up for and leave the taxpayers with the $26 million bill for the parking garage and the $500,000 per year for the maintenance for this garage that will be used for three months a year. If the DEP requires a parking garage to be built before any high rises can be sold then the developers of these high rises should pay for the parking garage that will benefit them and not the taxpayers.

Next you'll want to sell us a bridge that goes nowhere.
Scorpion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

The bigger picture can't get any plainer than the designer sunglasses on Ratrick Rosenello's face.

He is the executive director of the Boardwalk SID and the Wildwood Downtown BID. They are hoping this garage project will be a lifesaver for Wildwood's sinking ship.
Both Rosenello and his BFF Morey will personally benefit from this garage by increasing the revenue at their personal businesses. And better yet, they don't have to invest any money. It will fall on the taxpayers.

Eyenstein is right:
Quote:
With the BILLIONS of Tourist Dollars coming into Cape May County, NO ONE should be paying the property taxes we are currently paying. NO HOW, NO WAY.

Increasing revenue at the boardwalk seasonal businesses will have no effect on the year round taxpayers. We won't see a nitch from that money. These people pack up in September and October and leave the state taking all that profit with them to spend somewhere else.

I have to laugh when Hammer says they will stay longer and spend more money if there is ample parking. No family that comes here for a week with a few kids can afford to stay on the boardwalk any longer than they do already. A night on the wood is very expensive, especially on the piers.

After a certain hour, families need to get their young kids off the wood before that element takes over up there. If these people were so concerned about parking, they should not have given all these developers a free reign when they put up all the still-empty condos.

spazcat 9/23/2013
barracuda

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Mr. Hammer I mean you no disrespect and I truly oved the movie "Field of Dreams" but I am not a big proponent of "build it and they will come."
I don't see alleviating the problem of finding a parking space near the beach, as an enducement for more people to come to the Wildwoods. It is true, more parking would enhance the experience of those who do already come to Wildwood.
I have several issues and opinions on the parking situation in Wildwood.
Any parking facility should be as close to the boardwalk/beach as is possilbe.
The current dirt parking lots are bad for tourism. They look just like the vacant lots in any large city who has demolished whole blocks of row homes in "bad neighborhoods". It doesn't fit, the feeling we want to promote of "excitement, being at the shore on vacation and something different than they see where they live."
Secondly, if parking garages are to be built because this is a priority of the Wildwood 2015 vision, then I believe the most fiscally responsible mechanism would be to utilize those financial mechanisms which currently exist. The various special taxation for all the Wildwoods of the BID, SID, UEZ and Hotel/Motel tax should be utilized and "on the hook" through bonding for building and maintaining any parking structures.
hollyberry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

"The various special taxation for all the Wildwoods of the BID, SID, UEZ and Hotel/Motel tax "

Just how many ALPHABET AGENCIES have their hands in the "po lit'l old taxpayers" pockets

anyways....talk about SHADOW GOVERNMENT
sixpointstar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

( The Hammer said: "On a much, much smaller scale, the parking garage is being pitched on the same principle and is a key component of the Wildwoods Vision 2015 plan that all three municipalities and multiple business leaders embraced years ago." )
As I, read this phase.I, can’t stop wondering what this city residents were thinking back in the days that, the casino prospects were being offered to us. I, can not fathom why the residents would chose to loose these great opportunities of having a year around resort. That being said. I, still feel that, these opportunities of making this city a year round resort are not completely lost. I, do not want to be burdened with paying higher taxes and not having much to show for these higher taxes. I, would be glad to pay higher taxes. If I could benefit form this parking garage facility. Most certainly that would draw more high end developers to flock to this resort island. Property values would certainly go up for all of us.This is a good thing to happen.This makes the American dream of own property come to fruition. I, also feel this would give the property owners that, want to sell their property, the opportunities to sell their property for a much better price.There are some people on this island that are desperately waiting for something like this to happen here in this island. For those that, chose to stay on this island. I, feel that it would be a good situation also.I, have gone to Atlantic City,every High Rise Hotel has it’s own parking facilities,whether it’s parking garage style or plain parking lot. This demand for us city residents by DEP to be held reasonable, for the delay of these developments, not being able to move forward on their projects does not sound right to me.I, feel that every major project developer needs to foot their own bill for these parking facilities.They will have to be given some form of tax abatement. They deserve some incentive. While these tax abatements are in effect to these projects, we as tax paying individuals, should have some incentive also.One incentive that could /should be provided to us tax paying people, is free parking. Available to us, when ever we chose to visit the boardwalk amusements or entertainment areas.These are some of my thoughts on this subject. We need to bring this island to the twenty first century.There are some that are willing to help us achieve this. Now it’s up to us to help this come to fruition. Let’s show the other parts of this island, that we tax payers, are united to achieve this goal of progress. Let’s Go Wildwood! This should be our chant! Let’s lead to prosperity ! Stay Healthy and Wealthy My Friends.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cape May County Forum Forum Index -> Cape May County Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: