Search
Close this search box.

Friday, April 19, 2024

Search

NJ Man to Walk Over 200 Miles in Support of the Chip Miller Amyloidosis Foundation

Tom Eberhardt
Provided

Tom Eberhardt

By From Chip Miller Amyloidosis Foundation

Carlisle, Pa. Annually, the Chip Miller Amyloidosis Foundation (CMAF) hosts events and fund-raisers, not just for the foundation itself, but for those who are affected by the disease. While that trend continues in 2023 by way of a Corvette contest, Surf Fest, Taste of OCNJ, family fun day at the OC Water Park, plus automotive-related events and gatherings in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, there’s one man who is doing his part to give to the CMAF; Tom Eberhardt. 
Tom is a 70-year-old Sussex County, New Jersey resident who was born in Morristown and graduated from Morris Knolls High School. At 18, he moved on to Drew University in Madison where he played soccer and earned All-East honors in 1974. A father, grandfather, and family man, Tom has remained active, both personally and professionally. In fact, Tom has been in the restoration business for 50 years bringing to life the woodwork and upholstery in antique and classic cars as well as private jet interiors. While he doesn’t do near the volume of work that he used to, Tom has proudly seen his work go on to receive Concours-level recognition and honors at international events as well as such fine domestic offerings as Pebble Beach (CA), the Concours d’Elegance in Amelia Island (FL), and more.    
Work, family, and life have been good to Tom over the years, but for a fateful trip to the doctor’s office in 2019. Tom was feeling a little out of sorts and after some tests and referrals, it turned out that Tom was afflicted with the same dreaded disease, Amyloidosis, that took the life of the CMAF’s namesake in 2004. 
Amyloidosis, by the way, is a rare disease first described over 200 years ago. The disease manifests itself when amyloid proteins deposit and accumulate in the body’s organs and tissue. This accumulation may happen systemically (throughout the body) or locally (in one tissue). Each year 3,000 cases are diagnosed in the United States. The worst part about Amyloidosis is that it’s still relatively rare, so much so that by the time a proper diagnosis is made, it’s often too late.  
“I was diagnosed with Coronary Amyloidosis in 2019,” noted Tom in an e-mail to CMAF president Lance Miller in late 2022. “I’m very fortunate in that it was diagnosed early and I’m under the great care of Dr. Mathew Maurer and his associates at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital in New York City. We are trying some trial medication and so far, things are progressing quite well.” 
Fast forward to late Spring 2023 and Tom is moving forward in a manner that he’s comfortable with. He’s still doing a little resto work, his condition is being managed, and best of all, he’s ready to embark on the walk of a lifetime; a near month-long adventure from High Point State Park to Cape May; all to support the CMAF. 
“A camper has been donated to me, so I have a place to stay each night,” continued Tom. “I can’t wait to do this with my support team and our great donors/sponsors. To be able to walk in any capacity with what I’ve gone through is great, but to be able to walk for a cause, that’s even better.” 
Anyone who would like to support Tom and his journey can do so by way of this link as well as a link online via ChipMiller.org. In addition, complete details about the CMAF are available online, including a portal for direct donations, details on planned 2023 events, and more. 

Spout Off

Cape May – Everyone needs to remember that DT "Hush Money" trial is about his actions prior to him being the President. This is not about him doing actions as a President. He falsified documents to…

Read More

North Wildwood – Today's US House vote that was four months in the making and mirrors the Senate Bill of February, loosens the grip that MAGA extremism to allow America to support our allies in the fight against…

Read More

Cape May – If we could just figure a way to harness all the brain power used by Spouters to pen the National Spouts, and the very wise follow up responses, there would be no need for NJ ocean wind energy.

Read More

Most Read

Print Edition

Recommended Articles

Skip to content