Friday, March 29, 2024

Search

Gun Violence in Our Communities

Letters to the Editor 2019

By Harvey Roach, Cape May

To the Editor:  

June is Gun Violence Awareness Month. This national tragedy grows and touches communities in every state.  

A recent decision by U.S. District Court Judge Renee Bumb, entering a preliminary injunction against enforcement of limiting concealed carry of firearms in certain “sensitive places” as defined under New Jersey law, could put citizens at greater risk. These places include beaches, libraries, parks, public gatherings, zoos, and bars.  

Judge Bumb’s ruling was the result of a lawsuit filed by the NJ Rifle and Pistol Clubs against the State of New Jersey. By leaving the ban in place for youth sporting events and playgrounds, Judge Bumb failed to specify who would be responsible for the lines of demarcation between the “park” and the “playground” or the field within the “park” where the “youth sporting event” is held. 

We live in the most densely populated state in the nation, yet the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report lists New Jersey as having the fourth lowest death rate by gun – 4.1 per 100,000 population. This is due, in large part, to our gun laws that set a high standard. We are much safer with that higher threshold. 

The U.S. Supreme Court, in deciding New York State Rifle & Pistol Association Inc. v. Bruen, Superintendent of New York State Police in June 2022 have used the Second and Fourteenth Amendments to begin to strike down state statutes that have maintained this higher standard for a permit to carry a concealed weapon.  

While intended to offer relief to law-abiding citizens, I believe the theory of unintended consequences will have its day. 

There have been restrictions on public carry going back to the ratification of the Second Amendment in 1791. Our forefathers were wise in many ways. Western towns in the 19th century restricted the carrying of firearms for good reason. Sound thinking, safety first.  

Judge Bumb’s decision, under appeal by the state, will likely get to the Roberts Supreme Court. Think of that when you’re in a bar next to armed patrons.  

Let’s all make Gun Violence Awareness Month something positive. I hope we’re not offering “thoughts and prayers” more and more. That’s just not working. 

Spout Off

Villas – To the channel40 spouter. You may be able to get Philly channel with a different store antenna. I guess that's the closest after Vineland.

Read More

Villas – It’s obvious if you take a quick glance at the ariel photo of Hereford Inlet that the grid of Wildwood development violates the natural shoreline. Stop the bickering and don’t use my tax dollars to…

Read More

Court House – Reading the Spout offs you find clear evidence that our Public Education is destroying this once Great Country. We once had the best Public Education in the World ,today 2024 our Public Education is…

Read More

Most Read

Print Edition

Recommended Articles

Skip to content