Friday, March 29, 2024

Search

Crest Woman’s Memory Lives on Through ‘Amanda’s Wish’

Nick Holland

Nick Holland, holding check, presents the first donation from “Amanda’s Wish” to sixth and seventh graders at Crest Memorial School in Wildwood Crest.  

By Collin Hall

WILDWOOD CREST – John Lynch, of Wildwood Crest, was in Alaska when he got the word that Amanda Holland – a lifelong Wildwood Crest local, preschool teacher, and dear friend – died unexpectedly May 9.  

The news was devastating, and in the weeks following her death, Lynch worked closely with the Holland family to set up a charity in her memory.  

“We have raised almost $40,000 for ‘Amanda’s Wish’ in the past week,” Lynch said. “I’m blown away by the love the community has poured out. In the Wildwoods, we take care of each other.” 

Lynch is the founder of “The Lunch With Lynch Foundation,” a charitable foundation on Five Mile Island that raises money for Cape May County children. This new fundraising effort – dubbed Amanda’s Wish came from the wishes of Karen Holland, Amanda Holland’s mother. 

Nick Holland, the youngest of Amanda Holland’s brothers, said the idea was born as soon as the funeral took place.  

“We were just sitting at the funeral home when I first heard the idea,” Nick Holland said. “My mom didn’t want flowers at the funeral because they fade. She really wanted to start her own organization, but I said, ‘Let’s just give it to Mr. Lynch. He already has the organization set up and can use his network to help us.'” 

Although Lynch spearheaded the efforts through his foundation, the money will remain separate from the foundation’s general fund – the money is set aside and will be used to help local children attend summer educational camps.   

Amanda Holland was a lifelong educator. Although she graduated from college just a few short years ago, her teacher’s heart led her to leadership positions when she was as young as 14.  

Amanda Holland was heavily involved in Wildwood Crest’s “Pier Playmates” summer camp, where children can unleash their imagination and make trips to destinations across the island. 

“That’s the experience every kid deserves,” Lynch said. 

The initial goal was to raise funds to send children to affordable local camps, but the fundraising has been so successful that Lynch and Karen Holland see a bigger future for Amanda’s Wish. 

“I set out thinking: If we can just make $3,000, that would be great,” said Lynch. “That’s enough to make a difference. But within 30 minutes, we flew past that goal. We kept having to make the goal bigger, and bigger, and bigger. I think we’re going to hit $40,000 in the next few days. With the amount of money we have raised, we can do things beyond sending a few kids to camp.” 

Lynch was planning to sit down with the Holland family to determine the future for the mighty sum raised by Amanda’s Wish. In the meantime, they have identified a family who can’t afford camp, but dearly want their children to have the social and educational experiences that it would bring. 

Although her death was shocking and unexpected, unimaginable good has come in the aftermath.  

“I’ve never seen this kind of immediate support in my 14 years of working with Lunch With Lynch,” Lynch said. “When people talk about the ‘power of community,’ this is the kind of thing that they mean. This is what happens when people are connected to each other in a deep way,” he said. 

As for Nick Holland, he wants the love that Amanda Holland always showed to her community to be reflected by the charity.   

“Even if you didn’t know Amanda, she has made a clear impact, even in her death. You could see it, feel it, just by seeing the community come together in this way,” Nick Holland said.  

Do you have memories of Amanda Holland? Did you donate to “Amanda’s Wish? Email the author at chall@cmcherald.com or give him a call at 609-886-8600, ext. 156.  

Spout Off

Villas – To the channel40 spouter. You may be able to get Philly channel with a different store antenna. I guess that's the closest after Vineland.

Read More

Villas – It’s obvious if you take a quick glance at the ariel photo of Hereford Inlet that the grid of Wildwood development violates the natural shoreline. Stop the bickering and don’t use my tax dollars to…

Read More

Court House – Reading the Spout offs you find clear evidence that our Public Education is destroying this once Great Country. We once had the best Public Education in the World ,today 2024 our Public Education is…

Read More

Most Read

Print Edition

Recommended Articles

Skip to content