Cape May County Forum
Cape May County Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile      Log inLog in 

Does Jersey need a "stand your ground" law?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cape May County Forum Forum Index -> Cape May County Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twisted Oz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Does Jersey need a "stand your ground" law? Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

There are two positions on the law, but I wonder if Jersey needs such a law? Take Pleasantville, Millville, and Atlantic City for example. There have been at least a dozen or more shootings since the first of the year. Those poor Canadian women robbed and stabbed to death by some crack head. Would the tides of violence and murder change if people could defend themselves, instead of having to run away?

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/crime/2012/06/10/surge-in-self-defense.html
JerseyDevil

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

NJ would actually have to treat it's citizens like responsible adults and allow them to carry before they allowed a 'stand your ground' law. Fewer than 1600 carry permits have been issued in NJ since 2007 and I suspect every one of them is someone with influence in the state or issued to 'private investigators', not John Q. Public.
Long_Duk_Dong

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Why do we need special laws? If someone threatens your life they deserve to die and you have a right to defend yourself. Shoot them in the back if you have to...just might save someone else down the road.
spazcat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

ahh well thought out, concise and above all completely rational. Shocked
Abaddon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

First,and most importantly,NJ is a no no CNC state(unless you are law enforcement -or ex)..,Stand your ground laws state that a person" has no duty or other requirement to abandon a place in which he has a right to be, or to give up ground to an assailant"even in a public place.This is impossible in a non-conceal state such as NJ...Lastly,,,,EVERY state in the US recognizes the right to self defense as LAW. ( the right for civilians acting on their own behalf to engage in violence for the sake of defending one's own life or the lives of others, including the use of deadly force.) Twisted Evil
Long_Duk_Dong

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Do what you want Spaz. Im glad I am not your child or any other loved one. I will defend my own.
Twisted Oz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

I understand Pennsylvania has a "castle doctrine", that is the right to use whatever force is necessary to remove a person from your property or protect you property-including the use of deadly force if necessary. Now think what that means. If you happen to be invaded in the night, you have the right to shoot and kill your assailant, without the fear of future lawsuits, from distressed family members or malicious prosecution of over zealous prosecutors, looking to enter yet another innocent victim into the system. There is some good intents with these defense laws and I for one would like to see something here in NJ to protect the rights of the working class and the property owners from those who would like to take from you what you have.
villainesta

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

The anti-gun laws in NJ are so restrictive you can't even buy a pea shooter. I suspect a kid with a section of bamboo and a mouth full of some small berries would be subject to 10 years in jail. Kids playing cops and robbers with fingers for guns suspended! What use would a SYG law be in a state that has a determined effort to prevent handguns from even being purchased. One problem is that it takes some experience with firearms to be capable of using them responsibly. and effectively and some presence of mind to say shoot to wound and not kill. If Zimmerman would have aimed for Trayvon 's leg. he would not be in the trouble he is in now. But even cops lack the ability to do this in an emotionally charged situation. From what I have read they are trained to empty their guns when they do shoot. I guess because they are of such light caliber. If they still carried the old 38 cal revolver there would be less of sensational killings like that innocent black guy they riddled with58 shots.
Long_Duk_Dong

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Or the innocent white cops and white civilians that they kill. If they carried the old 38 chief special they would not have a chance against any criminal. The little black 12 year old drug dealers carry bigger.
spazcat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

beyond dopey. i will protect my family by not having a gun around so they can accidently or purposely shoot themselves. that is the reality of gun ownership especially for "protection" the gun has to be readily available or the protection is non existent. and if the gun is readily available then anyone get to it at anytime. trouble waiting to happen! good luck protecting yourself LDD on the mean streets of SH. worried about the fondue set getting lifted? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Scorpion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Quote:
i will protect my family by not having a gun around so they can accidently or purposely shoot themselves.

First spaz's dog tries to commit suicide by jumping out the car window. Now he is worried his family might purposely shoot themselves. Shocked

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmm! Laughing

" i have scorp on ignore as everyone but scorp knows."
spazcat 9/23/2013
spazcat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Long_Duk_Dong

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Im sure those stickers on your doors that say "These premises protected by a Liberal " will do wonders spaz.
spazcat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

better than the stickers that say "this guy is too stupid to know the stats on who actually winds up a casualty when you own a gun" hint: its not the criminal... Cool i know, i know you are much smarter than all the statistics so they don't apply to you... Shocked
Abaddon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

I consider myself able , careful and intelligent ,therefore...I would rather be an armed statistic than an um-armed statistic Twisted Evil
spazcat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

fair as long as you're in the house by yourself, otherwise you're making a potentially deadly decision for others...
RealMan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Isn't that a matter of choice for a citizen to own a gun?
spazcat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

as i pointed out in the previous post, you in the house alone...knock yourself out. others present especially children you're making the decision for them. and the statistics show its more likely someone living in the home will wind up shot than a criminal, its just facts. annoying i know but they often are. to be fair and accurate if you're a hunter and have a gun safe and always keep your weapons locked up its less likely. but then again the weapons will be useless in the event of a criminal act. so in short wherever you go there you are! Cool
Abaddon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Did you ever visit the NRA website....They recommend Gun safes,family awareness,and even go so far as to tell you to use a fire safe to store your gun in a more readily accessible location..Even they admit that children can be vulnerable to temptation.

TOP TEN KILLERS OF CHILDREN..in order.

Automobile-Falls-Poisoning by solids, liquids-Pedestrian-Drowning-Fires, burns-Suffocation by ingested object-Firearms-Poisoning by gases, vapors-All other causes...
spazcat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

thanks abby. i was just pointing out the statistical fact to all the wanna be heroes that its more likely someone in their own family is more likely to be on the business end of their gun than the imagined criminal. the NRA is as responsible as it can be but facts are facts and you can't make them go away. Shocked
Ramjet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Law enforcement has always been against it. It just gives another out for thugs claiming that they were threatened first. Drug dealers love this law. Without the law common sense can still prevail once you get to court.
ERMA23

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

spazcat wrote:
thanks abby. i was just pointing out the statistical fact to all the wanna be heroes that its more likely someone in their own family is more likely to be on the business end of their gun than the imagined criminal. the NRA is as responsible as it can be but facts are facts and you can't make them go away. Shocked

I grew up in a house that had guns in it. Alot of my extended family members were, and still are gun owners. I was taught at an early age to never, under any circumstances to touch a weapon without an adult present. The guns were kept in bed rooms which i was also told i was not aloud to enter without permission. Gun saftey all comes down to proper parenting. There are also ways to conceal a weapon in your home where it is still accesable to you but not to a child. Since when does protecting your home and family make you a wanna be hero. Choosing not to own a gun is your own perogitive. If you have the ability to protect your home and family without a gun then good for you. I am perfectly capable of defending myself and family without a weapon, but you never know what that guy coming through the window or door is carrying. Its better to be safe then sorry. I for one will not be bringing a knife to a gun fight.
Scorpion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Well stated, Erma.

Quote:
Gun saftey all comes down to proper parenting.

The total welfare of the child is directly related to proper parenting. The sad part is that now days the majority of the children are being raised by a single parent and the bread winner has been replaced with the government. As long as this arrangement continues to be acceptable for raising children, there will be no proper parenting because a child needs both his mother and his father.

" i have scorp on ignore as everyone but scorp knows."
spazcat 9/23/2013
spazcat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

statistics say otherwise but don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant! Cool
JerseyDevil

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

spazcat wrote:
statistics say otherwise but don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant! Cool

i was just pointing out the statistical fact to all the wanna be heroes that its more likely someone in their own family is more likely to be on the business end of their gun than the imagined criminal

And people with 2 or more story homes are more likely to fall down the stairs and suffer a serious injury. If that's a statistic you can't handle, I suggest buying a rancher. Or.....you can practice safety to minimize the likelyhood of falling down the stairs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cape May County Forum Forum Index -> Cape May County Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: