Cape May County Forum
Cape May County Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile      Log inLog in 

Bad Grades, No Play?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cape May County Forum Forum Index -> Cape May County Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What Sport did you varsity in?
Football/Softball
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
Baseball
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Wrestling
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Soccer
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Cheerleading
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 9

Sailorman18949

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Bad Grades, No Play? Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

It shouldn't be a question. It should be a statement. When I went to high school and college, if you did not have above a 2.0, or if you had any D or F, you were booted for the semester from athletics regardless of how good you were, who you were, or what your value to whatever team it was.

If you can't pass the most basic of classes, why should you be rewarded with the chance to play sports for the school?
villainesta

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Rewarded? Sports are supposed to teach values and cooperation. An extension of mental study. My son failed to make the average to participate much to my disappointment. He certainly wasn't interested in contact sports as I was, but tennis would have suited him. Put me down for a big NO for that dumb idea. Sports are a part of education.
Long_Duk_Dong

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Unfortunately sports has for the most part superceded education. Every parent thinks their child is the next Jordan, manning or Lebron. If a kid cant get a c average then goodbye.
villainesta

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Sports are part of the curriculum and should be available to everyone.
Long_Duk_Dong

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

So tennis would have suited your son, but studying did not suit him? And they are in fact available to all students as long as you meet the requirements. Classic. Here it comes. "The school is responsible for my child not succeeding".
Abaddon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

"Sports are supposed to teach values and cooperation. An extension of mental study"". ????...So Explain the poor grades. Twisted Evil
villainesta

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Maybe if he had been in sports his grades would have improved. But I was the same way in high school. Sometimes maturity takes a little longer and one size does not fit all. He never read much and when he got to LR, what did that ninny of a English teacher assign? The Odyssey! Really dumb.. Catcher in the Rye could well have engaged her class but, no...she was just too above that.
Long_Duk_Dong

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Stop digging. In two posts you have blamed the cops and the schools for everything. What exactly did you make him read? Exactly what math did you make him practice each evening after dinner?
Classic woe is me blame everyone else liberal thinking.
villainesta

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Long_Duk_Dong wrote:
Stop digging. In two posts you have blamed the cops and the schools for everything. What exactly did you make him read? Exactly what math did you make him practice each evening after dinner?
Classic woe is me blame everyone else liberal thinking.

Yet the conservatives are the ones that blame the teachers for everything. Get your story straight bub.
Long_Duk_Dong

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

You just blamed the teachers for your son not being able to play tennis.

Conservatives may blame teachers......Liberals blame everyone but themselves.
Abaddon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Not interested in grades...not interested in sports......Even the sun cant make a flower bloom.......The rain can wet the roots,The mulch can feed the plant....All the care in the world wont work,,,,if the will of the flower cant. Twisted Evil
Cops and Robbers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

I used to believe school was for the ABCs. Now, not so much. I believe it would be a disservice to our young people to deny them their talents and joys because those may lie somewhere outside literature, science, or math. JMHO.

If there is a grade problem that can be corrected by discipline, denying sports should not be it. Why be cruel in ways that might set back a youth? As I see it.

I'll veer a bit off topic, and add that federal, state and local taxes now take a smaller share of our economy than at any time in the last 60 years. We are not so poor as a nation that we cannot offer our public school students music, sports, and the arts.

Last edited by Cops and Robbers on Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shotzi21

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Doing just about anything in class besides just sitting there will get you a 2.0. That doesn't seem extreme. Just doing homeworks will just about get you a 2.0.

No time for homework, no time for sports.
Long_Duk_Dong

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Did Cops just cut and paste something from Media Matters that blames the man for everything....including Villians lack of tennis participation?
Cops and Robbers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Shotzi21 wrote:
No time for homework, no time for sports.
That's a non sequitur. The one does not naturally follow the other.
Shotzi21

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Better check for spelling mistakes while you're at it.
Sailorman18949

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

If he can't pass class, what good is he going to be at life?

At least he will have you to support him and pay for him.
Cops and Robbers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Sailorman18949 wrote:
If he can't pass class, what good is he going to be at life?
To go from there to taking away sports is a non sequitur. The one does not naturally follow the other.
Shotzi21

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Cops, if you insist on talking about unnatural things....go to the right thread.

This thread is about grades and sports. Razz

Last edited by Shotzi21 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cops and Robbers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Laughing
Sailorman18949

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Kool-aide, I would think that you would be, as a responsible parent, more upset that your child was an academic failure than your child not being allowed to participate in an activity like tennis.

Blame the child for poor performance, and congradulate the school for taking some accountability.
Cops and Robbers

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Sailorman18949 wrote:
Kool-aide, Blame the child for poor performance, and congradulate the school for taking some accountability.
Denying the kid sports on account of poor grades is not "taking some accountability". Just because it was done that way when you were in school, maybe that has muddled your thinking all these years? You seem confused about cause and effect. Villlainesta already suggested maybe if his son had been in sports his grades would have improved. And maybe they would, a federal study found that teens who play sports get better grades and stay in school. Constructive engagement, the George H. W. Bush approach.

http://www.newswise.com/articles/teens-who-play-sports-get-better-grades
spazcat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

wow, did oprah get to you cops! behavior modification is all about carrots and sticks. if a kid loves sports and gets bad grades, the obvious answer is no sports till the behavior is modified. also sports are unimportant in the grand scheme of things. i coached high school sports, no passee, no playee was the schools policy. never had a player on varsity miss time because of grades. jv every once and awhile. gotta stop trying to be their friends, they got friends they need parents. you know like i had and probably like you had! wrong behavior had consequences, good behavior brought rewards. you have to admit old school parents had it all over the current batch, if results are any criteria! Shocked
Cops and Robbers

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

spazcat wrote:
if a kid loves sports and gets bad grades, the obvious answer is no sports till the behavior is modified.
Nonsense. Suppose the kid gets bad grades and loves church? The obvious answer is no church? Sounds dumb, doesn't it.

Everyone loves eating. No food until his grades improve. How bad do you want to hurt the kid?

I already supported, with a federal study, my assertion that involvement in sports improves grades. Can you support your assertion that expulsion from sports improves grades? I think not.
spazcat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

I just did! Or can you only read words that agree with you. Plus my example isn't one of your charts and studies commissioned to get the answer they want. Mine was real world in conjunction with actual educators and actual students. And i never said it would work in every case, if it doesn't its time for the parents to step up and parent! Playing sports in school is a priviledge that is earned, the school has rules and its their team. And if it doesn't work then why is it the rule rather than the exception in the majority of school districts. All those professional educators are wrong and you're right? Umm, ok! Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cape May County Forum Forum Index -> Cape May County Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: