Thursday, March 28, 2024

Search

The Fishing Line: Hot, Hot, Hot

By Carolyn Miller

With air temps in the 90s and high humidity making some folks grumpy, it seems the best thing to do is go fishing. No boat? Cape May County offers lots of charters, head boats, and boat rentals or just grab your rod and reel and try surf-fishing.
The big difference in this report from the last two weeks is that the water temperature has jumped up 10 degrees. Frank’s Boats reports that the warmer water brought in their first catch of small sea bas, and sea robin showed up in more numbers, along with some very large rays. Crabbing also improved. They say, “If you or anyone in your family, or your friends have never caught a flounder now is the time to go. You might not be bringing home dinner but you’ll have a lot of fun catching fish.”
Captain Ray caught stripers and bluefish for both fly and plug anglers. Fly anglers mostly caught on steroid gurglers and popping flies using floating line and again the smack-it-jr popping plugs took the most fish for the spin anglers.
I’m happy to report the results of two terrific flounder tourneys that took place recently. At Sterling Harbor 115 boats and 22 Kayaks fished the Duke of Fluke Tournament. Single Heaviest Fluke: first place – Adam Bomb III – Captain Adam Crouthamel – 5.48 pounds; second place – The Other Woman -Captain Jim Duccilli – 4.81 pounds; third place – Miss Tammy – Captain Paul Brosman – 4.68 pounds. Heaviest Seabass: Accipiter – Captain Dan Zolna – 3.30 pounds;
Heaviest Bluefish: Hot Line – Captain Andrew Bakely – 1.25 pounds. Kayak Division Single Heaviest Fluke: first place – Frank Scirrotto – Hobie Outback – 2.99 pounds; second place – Chris Shoplock – Hobie Revolution – 2.88 pounds.
Results of the Grassy Sound Marina Flounder Tournament: first place heaviest: Gary Linton, Stone Harbor, 6.43-pounds; second place: Tim Fehr, Phila., Pa., 5.74-pounds; third place: Rob Campbell, North Wildwood, 4.12-pounds; three Heaviest Combined: Tom Dunleavy, Villas, 8.05-pounds; Women’s: EJ Pellecchia, Hatboro, Pa., 3.42-pounds; Children’s: Jason Hahn, Flourtown, Pa., 3.06-pounds; The Daisy Mae Award: Joe Pryor, Southampton, Pa.
Grassy Sound Fishing Pier Division:The Bill Kinsley Award: Mike McPeake, Phila, Pa.; first place: Aaron Fuller, Monroeville, Pa.; second place: Jerry Guzman, N. Wildwood; third place: Tim Everett, Phila., Pa.
Be sure to get your fishing report to me so I can include your info and photos.
Send your fish stories and photos to cmiller@cmcherald.com. All photos submitted appear online at SeeMyBigFish.com.

Spout Off

Villas – To the channel40 spouter. You may be able to get Philly channel with a different store antenna. I guess that's the closest after Vineland.

Read More

Villas – It’s obvious if you take a quick glance at the ariel photo of Hereford Inlet that the grid of Wildwood development violates the natural shoreline. Stop the bickering and don’t use my tax dollars to…

Read More

Court House – Reading the Spout offs you find clear evidence that our Public Education is destroying this once Great Country. We once had the best Public Education in the World ,today 2024 our Public Education is…

Read More

Most Read

Print Edition

Recommended Articles

Skip to content