Friday, March 29, 2024

Search

Wanted: Nervy Citizens to Assume Revered Title ‘Gadfly’

By Al Campbell

Gadfly. Keep that word in mind. Its definition: Someone who persistently irritates or torments another person.
Without such people, let’s just say the world would be one bottomless jar of creamy peanut butter. Everything would always go smoothly, right or wrong, because no one would really want to rock the boat. There would be no reason to question or to ponder the weighty issues of life, like “I wonder what would peanut butter be like with real chunks of peanuts mixed into the stuff?”
“Heresy!” That might be the first utterance from creamy peanut butter lovers, and to them, it might be right, so why not let the world be the judge?
Wanted: Gadfly. Must be knowledgeable, passionate about one’s cause (or many for that matter), fearless to approach elected and appointed officials. Should have keen ability to readily differentiate jargon, hooey, and malarkey at all levels. Have strange desire to emulate Don Quixote de la Mancha, and unstoppable yearning to confront windmills and dragons.
To the above, add to the mix, “undeterred by being thought a bit odd by some fellows.”
In June, Publisher Art Hall and I traveled to Newark to attend a New Jersey Freedom of Government seminar that dealt with the state’s Sunshine Law, which gives the public the right to know what its government is doing at meetings.
A cross-section of Jersey citizens gathered at the Rutgers Law Library. There was a sprinkling of reporters, elected officials, and a hardened group of tax-paying residents of this fair Garden State who likely earned the title “gadfly” in their hometowns.
There was a salty senior citizen who sat in the front row. Just by looking at her, I sensed that lady fit the definition “gadfly,” to a “T.” And that is not a negative term, believe me. Remember, there is creamy peanut butter and chunky style for customers with varying tastes.
Imagine my surprise when that feisty lady, none other than State Sen. Loretta Weinberg (D-37), was introduced as the key sponsor of Senate Bill S1548 which is meant to bring the Sunshine Law into the 21st Century.
Gadfly? How about New Jersey’s first candidate for lieutenant governor? That’s right, she’s Gov. Jon Corzine’s running mate. Not to turn this into a political forum, but Corzine called Weinberg the “conscience of the Legislature” because of her stands on issues large and small, he stated. “Loretta Weinberg isn’t afraid to take on the tough fights.”
Corzine said she has been “leading the charge on ethics reform for years. She’s passed legislation to require greater financial disclosure by local government officials, toughen regulations for lobbyists, strengthen anti-nepotism rules on campaign contributions and limit public contracts to businesses that make political contributions.
“She has put the safety of our children and New Jersey residents first. Loretta battled the powerful gun lobby to protect our children by mandating safety locks on all handguns and fought to lower the blood alcohol level state-wide for which a person can be considered to be guilty of drunk driving.
“She is a tireless advocate for protecting New Jerseyan’s health. Against stiff opposition, Loretta took on Big Tobacco and sponsored the law making indoor public places smoke-free. She stood up to insurance companies and succeeded in forcing hospitals to provide longer stays for new moms and their babies. And she has made combating autism a primary focus as the sponsor of several laws funding treatment, education and research for autistic children.”
In short, Weinberg ought to be the envy of every prospective gadfly, Independent, Republican or Democrat. One cannot be meek and endearing to get things done in government.
When I think of the term, I vividly recall a valiant gadfly, the late Dr. Rosabel Koss, a Stone Harbor legend.
She passed on at age 94 on Dec. 2, 2007. Our late Editor Joe Zelnik memorialized Koss by writing, “At a time when most put up their feet, she rolled up her sleeves and spent the last 25 years of her life advocating tirelessly for women, children, seniors, and the economically and educationally disadvantaged in this county. Until a few years ago, one could see Rosabel wait for the lifeguards to leave the 91st Street beach, then stride steadfastly into the ocean for a swim. The water was cold and I didn’t go in over my ankles.”
In Cape May, there was the late Steve Peckiconis. He missed few, if any council meetings, and tirelessly reminded municipal officials that they ought not to pass new ordinances if they had no intention of enforcing those already on the books.
Gadflies, where are they going? What’s to become of us if they disappear? Surely, that cannot be good.
I think of Peckiconis each time I spot a driver chattering away on a hand-held cell phone as they meander down the highway. Sure it’s against the law to do that, but is it enforced? If not, why have it at all? If I got $1 for each one I see in a day, I could be eating at a gourmet seafood restaurant each night.
The list of gadflies could likely fill an entire column, because there is at least one in each municipality in this county and state. Some we love, others we loathe because we do not espouse the same causes they cherish.
Absent gadflies, who would havae the nerve to question why taxes go up? What is the reason for that new ordinance? Why do we need another half dozen cars added to the municipal fleet? Is that suspended administrator on the payroll or not? The answer: No one. If that becomes reality, joy would fill the hearts of many officials who to wield will and power without question for the public’s benefit.
We need gadflies now more than ever. Answer the call. Do the work, and never expect anyone to say “Thank you!”

Spout Off

Villas – To the channel40 spouter. You may be able to get Philly channel with a different store antenna. I guess that's the closest after Vineland.

Read More

Villas – It’s obvious if you take a quick glance at the ariel photo of Hereford Inlet that the grid of Wildwood development violates the natural shoreline. Stop the bickering and don’t use my tax dollars to…

Read More

Court House – Reading the Spout offs you find clear evidence that our Public Education is destroying this once Great Country. We once had the best Public Education in the World ,today 2024 our Public Education is…

Read More

Most Read

Print Edition

Recommended Articles

Skip to content