Friday, March 29, 2024

Search

Stepping Forward to Make the World Better

By Rabbi Jeffery Lipshultz

As the fall descends on our community, many in Cape May County look inward as the season has ended and wonder where our place in the world stands as we look into our souls.
We Jews in the fall begin the reading of the book of Genesis, and we retell the story of Noah and the great flood that consumed the world. The question I often ask when reading the story of Noah was why was he so great?
Many years ago, when I was out with my football colleagues in college, we were sitting around and one of the players, the more popular players, started to rant on jokes that were plainly racist.
I did not like what he was saying so I excused myself and avoided conflict with him. I was feeling very superior that I avoided the evil tongue that came from this person when, months later, I was in the same situation hearing very similar jokes with a racist tinge. Before I could excuse myself a friend of mine stood up, and started to yell at this person stating what he said was wrong and he would not stand by and let such ugly behavior be tolerated in front of him.
That was an uncomfortable moment, one that made us all cringe in our seats but it changed the situation.
At that moment I realized that my simple act of leaving was not enough, I failed to act to change the ugliness that was being
spewed, and thus even though I did not partake in the behavior, I was in some way responsible for it continuing.
With this story I now want to look at the ideas of all faiths and the need for standing up for what is right in this world.
Looking at this idea, let us now turn to the ideas expressed in Noah. The text begins with Genesis 6:9 these are the generations of Noah; Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.
Looking at the story of Noah we see an interesting aspect when we look at what is right and acting righteous. In my life I have often acted right but not been righteous much as the story I had told you earlier.
I have to say that acting righteous is difficult, and many of us often refuse to do what is right because it’s hard and we often choose to avoid evil but not do good.
In the Psalm 97 that we sing at Kabalah Shabbat we are told “to love God and hate evil,” but we must ask ourselves is this enough that we avoid that which is bad but rather to embrace what is good?
In relation to the ideas of the difference of acting correct and being righteous, and thus making the world a better place, Rashi, an early medieval Jewish commentary looks at the distinction of Noah and Abraham. “In comparison with his generation he was righteous, but if he had been in Abraham’s generation, he would not have been considered of any importance.”
The statement from Genesis “in his generations” looked at how Noah related to God and how Abraham walked in the footsteps of God. The text in Genesis 24:20 states that Abraham walked with God “[the Lord] before Whom I walked.” Noah required [God’s] support to uphold him [in righteousness], but Abraham strengthened himself and walked in his righteousness by himself. Thus building a more righteous world.
As we look deeper into the story of Noah we see opportunities lost in changing the world. We see that Noah was righteous but not enough to prevent the disaster of the world around him leading to the flood; Abraham however took the responsibility of the world on his own shoulders and tried to build something that would last forever even if it meant saving an evil cities such as Sodom. Noah saw evil and tried to avoid it but Abraham saw evil and tried to change it.
Think about that statement, who is willing to stand for what is right and say it out loud no matter how uncomfortable it might be? That is what our faith asks from us. Abraham built a nation and became father of many nations because when the time came for him to stand for God he stood with God and made the world a little better.
Now ask ourselves, will we make the right choice when the time comes, when we hear words that are oppressive will we speak out when there is suffering will we try and stop it?
This is the challenge all people of faith ask, to stand up for humanity when it’s the most difficult and offer that hand of love and forgiveness.
Abraham Lincoln, the great emancipator, stated during the cloudiest time of our young nation to offer that hand.
“The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battle-field, and patriot grave, to every living heart and hearthstone, all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.”
When we look into our own soul, let us push out the anger that sometimes engrosses our world and embrace the better angels of our nature; let us be the one who will stand up for what is right and walk in the footsteps with God.
Rabbi Jeffrey Lipschultz is the spiritual leader of Beth Judah Temple in Wildwood and he welcomes your comments at dvjewish@rof.net

Spout Off

Upper Township – The Upper Twp. members of the county republican committee are endorsing former mayor Palombo’s son and nephew. It’s never a good idea to have too many family members in charge because it can become…

Read More

North Cape May – Watching Joe Biden barely make it up the lower stairs on Air Force One recently, is sad. Now he is heading to New York for a fundraiser for his re-election. For the good of the country, he should…

Read More

North Cape May – Another Cop killed by a "Career criminal" in the Big Apple. All due to being let out of jail over 21 times! Now a Mother, Son and wife has lost someone! Go Joe Biden and the Liberal DA…

Read More

Most Read

Print Edition

Recommended Articles

Skip to content