Search
Close this search box.

Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Search

Coast Guard to Reconvene Lady Mary Hearing May 4

By Jack Fichter

CAPE MAY – The Marine Board of Investigation into the sinking, with multiple loss of life, of the fishing vessel Lady Mary which occurred on March 24, is scheduled to reconvene a public formal hearing beginning May 4 at 9 a.m, at Coast Guard Training Center inside the Oceanside building.
The board is investigating the facts and circumstances relating to the sinking of the vessel and will develop conclusions and recommendations to improve the safety and operations of similar vessels.
The National Transportation Safety Board is also participating in the investigation and they can make recommendations on issues to consider, identify and examine witnesses, and submit or request additional evidence in the course of the investigation.
The Lady Mary sank 60 miles off the coast of Cape May. The Coast Guard launched an intensive 37 hour search covering 3,417 square nautical miles after receiving an Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon alert.
Petty Officer Christopher D. McLaughlin said it has yet to be determined if a private firm or a Coast Guard Cutter will be used to take photos of the Lady Mary on the ocean bottom. A decision is expected by Wednesday.

Spout Off

Wildwood Crest – I have given all my money to Mr. Trump but it's not enough. So, I plan to sell my family at the big yardsale coming up in May. Please consider doing the same. He needs us. He is very weak…

Read More

North Wildwood – Trump is a stand up entertainer. Listen to him speak. Amazing, incredible, like no one has ever seen before. The battle of Gettysburg was beautiful, so interesting, vicious and horrible. Never…

Read More

Court House – Middle Township taxes are going up. It's no surprise. The township is getting overdeveloped. Every new house built equals higher taxes. Once all of the houses are built, our taxes will go even…

Read More

Most Read

Print Edition

Recommended Articles

Skip to content