Search
Close this search box.

Thursday, April 25, 2024

Search

Sea Isle Considers Dropping No Beach Fee Wednesdays

By Deborah McGuire

SEA ISLE CITY – Seasonal beach tag purchasers may soon have to dig a little deeper to sit on the city’s sand.
During a Nov. 29 meeting of City Council, a proposed ordinance increasing seasonal beach tag fees by $5 was once again discussed. The proposed ordinance calls for an increase in seasonal beach tag fees; however weekly and daily fees will remain the same. In addition to the proposed increase, the ordinance also calls for the elimination of a long-standing city
tradition of beach tag free Wednesdays.
“Some people in town felt that we were hurting local residents by not touching weekly and daily,” said Councilperson Bill Kehner.
“The locals are a small percentage of the problem,” said Council President John Divney.
According to Councilperson Mary Tighe, 80 percent of money is collected on the beach.
“And that’s not the locals,” said Tighe, “Because they (locals) pre-purchase. That’s a lot of non-locals getting hit.”
“I know we need the money,” said resident Annette Lombardo. “But why increase it if it’s only 20 percent of your beach tags?”
The majority of beach tags are seasonal and pre-seasonal, said Divney. “On the balance of the revenue, once we have taggers out there, 80 percent comes in from the taggers, 20 percent at the office.”
“It’s still a $15 rate until it (the new ordinance) goes into effect,” said Divney.
“I really don’t believe you’re going to make that much money on Wednesdays,” added Lombardo. “It looks like you’re going after the little guy. Free Wednesday makes Sea Isle unique,” she said. “It’s not that much money.”
When asked how revenue the city anticipates generating by charging for Wednesdays, Divney said with the increase in beach tagger salaries, the day would probably be a wash.
“So what’s the point?” asked Ann Organ.
“Business people said they like this idea,” responded Divney.
“A big businessman told me he makes more money in sales on Wednesdays,” said Irene Jamison. “He’s not been a part of this committee.”
“I keep hearing that Wednesday was a nice thing to offer,” said Councilman Mike McHale. “If it’s a breakeven thing, then maybe we should look at it.”
“You’re just chasing people across the bridge to the free beaches,” said Jamison. “Money is money. You’re going to make a lot of trouble when you drop Wednesdays.”

Spout Off

Cape May – Why are spouters blaming the Biden Administration for what is happening on college campuses with regards to free speech?

Read More

Cape May County – Why do CMC, commissioners allow employees to take vehicles home? Also,do the employees who take these vehicles home pay monthly for this? Are the monthly payments several hundred dollars or peanuts?…

Read More

Avalon – They need a weed store in Stoned Harbor. It would push weeds sales over a billion dollars for the state and parking fines in the millions for Stoned Harbor! But most people will be too stoned to care…

Read More

Most Read

Print Edition

Recommended Articles

Skip to content