Search
Close this search box.

Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Search

UPDATE: Suspect Arrested in Lakewood Officer’s Death, Avalon Aided Reward Fund

By Press Release

CAMDEN — According to published reports, on Sun., Jan. 16, Jahmell Crockam, 19, was arrested without incident about 6:30 a.m. in a housing development here. He was sought in connection with the shooting death of Lakewood Police Officer Christopher Matlosz.
On Sat., Jan. 15, Avalon Mayor Martin Pagliughi had offered $1,000 toward the reward fund for the capture of the person responsible for the officer’s slaying.
Pagliughi and the Avalon Police Department on Jan. 15 announced a $1,000 contribution to the reward fund designed to gather information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the individual who killed a Lakewood police officer on Fri., Jan. 14.
Lakewood Police Officer Christopher Matlosz, 27, was shot to death execution style during a routine interview of a pedestrian in a residential neighborhood in his community.
Matlosz was a member of the Lakewood Police Department for less than five years. He was reportedly shot three times while sitting in his police car.
“New Jersey’s law enforcement community has suffered a major tragedy this weekend,” stated Avalon Mayor Martin Pagliughi in a release. “It is very important for all communities in the state to contribute to a special reward fund that leads to the arrest and conviction of the coward who took Officer Matlosz’s life for no reason”.
The mayor urged other municipalities in Cape May County to assist.
The state Policemen’s Benevolent Association announced a reward for information that leads to the arrest of the suspect. On Jan. 15, the reward fund exceeded $40,000.
“I’m asking all 16 Cape May County communities to contribute to the reward fund so this individual is removed from the streets and taken into custody,” Pagliughi added. “This individual poses a threat to the public and police officers throughout South Jersey until he is captured. Cape May County communities can show support for this effort by pledging a contribution to this reward fund. It could have been one of our own”.
Various media reports suggest there is a person of interest who is being sought in connection with Matlosz’s slaying.
Gov. Chris Christie has called the slaying “a terrible tragedy,” and said the state’s thoughts and prayers go to Matlosz’s family and the entire New Jersey law enforcement community.
Avalon Police Department is pledging its support to this effort.
“The law enforcement community in the state of New Jersey is one big family,” stated Avalon Police Chief David Dean. “We are deeply saddened by the loss of one of our own, and we pledge full support to any effort that will result in the immediate apprehension of the individual who’s responsible for killing Officer Matlosz.”

Spout Off

Wildwood Crest – I have given all my money to Mr. Trump but it's not enough. So, I plan to sell my family at the big yardsale coming up in May. Please consider doing the same. He needs us. He is very weak…

Read More

North Wildwood – Trump is a stand up entertainer. Listen to him speak. Amazing, incredible, like no one has ever seen before. The battle of Gettysburg was beautiful, so interesting, vicious and horrible. Never…

Read More

Court House – Middle Township taxes are going up. It's no surprise. The township is getting overdeveloped. Every new house built equals higher taxes. Once all of the houses are built, our taxes will go even…

Read More

Most Read

Print Edition

Recommended Articles

Skip to content