Search
Close this search box.

Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Search

Are These Bad Times, or Good?

By Art Hall

“The highest glory of the American Revolution was this: it connected, in one indissoluble bond, the principles of civil government with the principles of Christianity.” – John Adams
From the Publisher
To Christians at Christmas
Are These Bad Times, or Good?
I have heard for a while now there are homeless people staying in the woods in Rio Grande and northward along Route 9. In the mornings, we even are finding blankets stuffed between air conditioner units or in the Herald’s gazebo, presumably taken from the used-clothing bins in the parking lot next door.
You can talk to anybody you want to and they will tell you their own story of our present difficulties, and this is state and nationwide. Given that I have never seen homelessness in the almost three decades the Herald has been in Rio Grande, how can I question if these are bad times?
Since I always write my Christmas column to fellow Christians, I ask the question from that perspective. A number of us have been praying for our state and our nation for a long time out of concern that our nation is turning away from our Christian foundation, much to our detriment, and to the detriment of our children and our children’s children. We sometimes despair, but we are wrong to do so, as we know that while He is patient, in the end His will is accomplished.
While personally our religion is our own affair, we know that our state and nation have thrived due to the moral foundation on which we were established. We know that if the vast majority of us follows the “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you” precept in all our dealings, that our interactions will be more productive and our lives more enjoyable than if we are having to worry if we are being lied to, if we are being deceived, if we are personally secure, etc. So we pray.
But why does He let us suffer as we do? All I can imagine is that He is telling us, You asked me to fix things, so I am. I am giving you the medicine you need by way of withholding of prosperity so as to get everybody’s attention; this should cause you to think and to return to your roots.
If this be the case, then I am compelled to respond, Lord, don’t stop the medicine until Your purposes are achieved.
After all, He never was nearly as much concerned about our material prosperity as I have been. However, as I grow older I am learning to take the medicine with less griping, and hopefully with a more mature outlook.
Art Hall, publisher

Spout Off

Wildwood Crest – I have given all my money to Mr. Trump but it's not enough. So, I plan to sell my family at the big yardsale coming up in May. Please consider doing the same. He needs us. He is very weak…

Read More

North Wildwood – Trump is a stand up entertainer. Listen to him speak. Amazing, incredible, like no one has ever seen before. The battle of Gettysburg was beautiful, so interesting, vicious and horrible. Never…

Read More

Court House – Middle Township taxes are going up. It's no surprise. The township is getting overdeveloped. Every new house built equals higher taxes. Once all of the houses are built, our taxes will go even…

Read More

Most Read

Print Edition

Recommended Articles

Skip to content