Thursday, March 28, 2024

Search

Middle Township Committee Gives Nod to New Master Plan

By Deborah McGuire

COURT HOUSE — They drew a proverbial line in the sand, as well as the streets, the woods, and wetlands, too. But at the end of the day, Middle Township Committee unanimously passed Ordinance No. 1392-11, Chapter 250 Zoning, which officially adopted the township’s new master plan.
Township residents showed up en masse at the Mon. Aug. 1 Township Committee meeting to voice concerns about the plan. Many were concerned with the township’s call for zoning “town centers.” Under the plan more businesses can be added, in addition to apartments being allowed above commercial use.
“I’m excited,” said Elizabeth Terenik, president of Terenik Land Use Consulting, the firm hired by the township to assist with the plan. Terenik explained that the concept of a pedestrian-friendly town center is “gaining a lot of traction all over and in the state of New Jersey.”
“The center-based development calculations take redevelopment potential into account,” said Kate Mead, a representative the state’s Office of Planning Advocacy. “The proposed plan provides for more compact development which utilizes less land.”
Mead added that the new plan will allow for apartments as well as townhouses, thereby making housing more affordable for seniors who might be downsizing as well as young people seeking to buy their first home. “In 1980 there was an eighty-five percent increase in households with out children,” said Mead. “Gen Y is renting longer than any other group.”
“I don’t understand Gen X or Gen Y,” said resident Sam Kelly, Democratic candidate for township committee. “I do know that the farms are going. We are the only community in Cape May County to have big-box stores. Send it (the master plan) back and let’s get it right.” Kelly’s comments met with applause.
Betty McGurk of Court House shared her concern of more people bringing in the need for more taxes. “New Jersey is the most densely populated state; yet it has the highest taxes in the country. People talk about ‘Oh, it will bring new jobs.’ But what kind of jobs? Eight and 9 dollar an hour jobs.”
McGurk also shared her view of Route 9 being built up. “Route 9 is not a walking community and it will never be a walking community,” she stated. “The committee doesn’t realize some of us like things the way they are. Sections look like Tilton Road, some of us don’t want it.”
According to Mead’s presentation, the “center-based development calculations take redevelopment potential into account. The proposed plan provides for more compact development which uses less land.” Using the new plan’s calculations, seventy-two percent of the additional development potential on thirty-nine percent less land.
Included in the town center concept is the possibility of parking garages. According to the plan, however, the maximum height of any building in an area deemed a town center is 3 stories. “If someone wants to build a multi-use, there is a parking component,” said Township Engineer Vince Orlando.
At issue, too, is the plan’s call for single-family residences to be built on minimum parcels of 3.5 acres. The old plan called for a minimum of one-acre lots.
“I can’t imagine adding 11,000 more people,” said one resident. “What families can afford a 3 acre lot?”
“There has to be give and take,” said Bill Juliano, a local builder. “The population is growing, you can’t keep people out of here; it’s unconstitutional. People can’t afford three-and-a-half acres. You’ll be in court.”
“This is a progressive plan. It’s not my father’s Oldsmobile. It’s modern. It’s a balance and you’re never going to get away from that balance,” Juliano added.
“What would happen if you did nothing?,” asked Court House resident Brian Murphy.
“What you have in place now will cause more growth,” replied Mead. “If you don’t approve a new plan, the town will continue to develop they way it has been developing.”
The township’s ability to provide fresh water was addressed by several members of the audience. “ Cape May County arguably has the one of the most serious water supply problems of all the counties in New Jersey,” said Matt Blake of the American Littoral Society. “Due to the fact that the county is surrounded by salt water and the county’s growing year-round population and summer vacationers have resulted in large increases in demand. Cape May County has been losing wells to saltwater intrusion for decades.”
“The New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP) has indicated that major water users will be required to ensure that they have at least 100 years of salt-free water in Cape May County,” added Blake. “…Middle Township is proposing a master plan that may necessitate a major new water supply facility, such as an expensive desalination plant, in less than 50 years. The master plan has no such substantive assessment of this potential issue.”
“We did consider water usage,” said Rick Brown, a representative of the NJDEP. In addressing the study that was done, he noted that he thought it was referencing another area of the county. “To my recollection,” said Brown, the study “talked about the problems in lower Cape May Count, in the Lower Township and Wildwood well field.”
“I live at the end of Mechanic Street,” said McGurk. “And we had to replace our well because there was salt in it.”
“I was pretty involved in (the master plan) process,” Committeeman Dan Lockwood told the audience. “I applaud you for sticking to your issues. For many years, especially recently, we seem to be zoning by variance. But with the new plan, we can give more definition.
“I’m sure if you went back 100 years, we wouldn’t be allowed to live here. The town will continue to grow. I don’t think we’re ready to say ‘We’re done, no one else can live here’. We did our best and not changed our town too much,” Lockwood added.
“I wish I had a magic wand,” said Mayor Susan DeLanzo, “and I could just wave it and make it perfect for everybody. I do believe we will have to tweak it. I respect everyone who has given their thoughts. I appreciate your comments and persistence.”

Spout Off

Villas – To the channel40 spouter. You may be able to get Philly channel with a different store antenna. I guess that's the closest after Vineland.

Read More

Villas – It’s obvious if you take a quick glance at the ariel photo of Hereford Inlet that the grid of Wildwood development violates the natural shoreline. Stop the bickering and don’t use my tax dollars to…

Read More

Court House – Reading the Spout offs you find clear evidence that our Public Education is destroying this once Great Country. We once had the best Public Education in the World ,today 2024 our Public Education is…

Read More

Most Read

Print Edition

Recommended Articles

Skip to content