Cape May County Forum
Cape May County Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile      Log inLog in 

Spout Off - 9/9 - 9/15

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cape May County Forum Forum Index -> Spout Off - The PRINTED EDITION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Spout Off - 9/9 - 9/15 Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

It has been reported there is over crowding for seasonal workers as many as 40-50 persons sharing one kitchen in deplorable conditions. Affordable housing could be built on the empty lot southeast corner of Atlantic and Oak Avenues since most of these workers are employed on the boardwalk.
—Wildwood
Congratulations to Jersey Cape Dance and Gymnastics Pixies for making a great showing on New York, Las Vegas and Hollywood's "America's Got Talent." The Pixies were great and all the judges mentioned their great talent and choreographers. What a super talented group of young girls from the Lower Cape May County area.
—Town Bank
I would like to thank North Wildwood Police Sgt. Mark Rucci and his partner for apprehending and disposing of a two-foot opossum that happened to climb up on my second floor deck. It came from across Angelsea Drive in North Wildwood. I think it needs to be thinned out due to the many opossums, rats, mice and other rodents in the brambles and bushes. They're putting up the nice wall along the sea wall and if somebody gets bit by these opossums or rats the city will sued. very
—North Wilwood
This is to the Fare Free driver who claims he only makes $9,000 per year. I think you're lying because it was in the paper a couple weeks ago what your salaries are. It was $40-50,000 per year. I don't think you would be dealing with all these old geezers, all cranky and stuff, for $9,000 a year.
—North Cape May
Who is in charge of the programming for Comcast? There's only horror, violence and sick programming. We have to do something about this. I feel so sorry for the younger generation because I know that is who is behind it. Someone change the programming to decent, good movies.
—Wildwood Crest
I see a Spout Off where a woman's pocketbook was stolen. $500 was missing and I wanted to know if I could help with that. Call back please.
—Avalon
At his death, Sen. Edward Kennedy was described by the Philadelphia Inquirer, as the lion of the Senate. I would say that he was a rich, liberal, big mouth. How many more Kennedys are there that we must suffer through? The senator's body is now buried at the Arlington National Cemetery. I thought Arlington is for heroes.
—North Cape May
I think Susan D'Alanzo should have excused herself from the deliberations and the choosing of the new police chief. Her daughter-in-law is a police officer on the Middle Township Police Department. She should recuse herself from all matters involving the police department. It is clearly a conflict of interest.
-—Court House
How is it that contractors can drive heavy equipment, such as large front-end loaders on the roadway and they are not registered or licensed to be driven on the road? Yet the Avalon Borough has registered New Jersey plates on their equipment. The police department should attend to citing those who are breaking the law. What is more serious is that in all likelihood these vehicles that are on the road are not insured.
—Avalon
I used to believe in the Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny and Santa Claus then I grew up. I used to believe in the USGS responsible for our water supply then I threw up. They have a $2.2 million contract to study Cape May County's dwindling water supply. Seven years have passed and still no study. Guess the politicos don't like their findings. Think the country is in debt? Wait till you get this bill.
—Cape May County
I was at a concert at the Fox Park and it was wonderful. Tourists should know that the taxpayers of Wildwood pay for this. But as you sit there it becomes nothing but a commercial for a restaurant. All credit is given to the mayor and one commissioner. I feel, as a taxpayer and a business owner, it's not right to keep plugging one restaurant and not the other businesses that are paying for it too. Why can't they just say the concerts are brought to you by the people of Wildwood? So please enjoy.
—Wildwood
A big ticket public healthcare plan will lessen quality care. Others with less experience and training may prescribe, treat and diagnose in place of your doctor. Too many fingers in the pie. More people wait and die.
—North Cape May
When is all this hoopla going to stop about Michael Jackson? There wasn't this much hoopla when Elvis died. Michael Jackson wasn't even good enough to shine Elvis's boots.
—Rio Grande
I was reading a Spout Off about Middle Township taxpayers were owed millions from host community benefits. I was wondering where these host community benefits were coming from? If we were owed millions how did it get broken down to only $180,000? Who oversees audits or made these decisions? I'm kinda interested to know who exactly oversees this.
--Middle Township
Friday night at 7 p.m., Aug. 28, I called the police department in Sea Isle because Central Avenue was flooded south from Kennedy all the way down to 41st. He told me "we're working on it." I said, "Can you block the street off?" He told me again he's working on it. A neighbor went over and asked for cones. They refused the cones. All we wanted was a police car to block it off. At 9 p.m. they put a police car in place. Five or six cars got flooded out and totaled most probably.
—Sea Isle City
After reading and watching the adulation heaped on Ted Kennedy, I'm curious to know why not one word or picture was evident of his first wife, Joan Bennett Kennedy, the mother of his children. Has she died? Has she been ostracized? If alive why were her children not sitting with her instead of their stepmother? Why was Kennedy allowed, as a divorced person, all of the rights of the Catholic Church? Did he buy an annulment?
—Cape May

The 9/12 meeting at the David C. Douglas Pavilion in North Cape May, where you can watch the ferry, has been moved from 12 p.m. to 11 a.m. so that those attending may be able to watch the 9/12 rally on television from 1-3 pm. Thanks to your efforts the president's plan to destroy healthcare in this country by government take over is under attack. His popularity is at 42 percent, which shows that Obama can do in six months what it took President Bush six years to do.
—North Cape May
To all Spouters: Please read the Clean Energy and Security Act of 2009. Using your computer search engine, enter clean energy and security act 2009. This bill is not good for present day America. Please read and then call your Senators and tell them to vote no.
—Lower Township
This is to the spouter on the speed limit in Whitesboro. Absolutely I agree. I'm on Georgia and, oh my God, how those cars zoom by with no knowledge of kids out there. We don't even have a speed limit sign there. There should be a slow down, kids at play.
—Whitesboro
Doesn't North Wildwood have someone to enforce the ordinance against boats being parked on the street? I don't see any in Wildwood or the Crest. On my block there's eight of them.
—Anglesea
To the affordable housing outrage. Yeah, 40 legal foreign workers share one kitchen.
—Wildwood
I live in Victorian Towers in Cape May. I'm a permanent resident here. My car was parked out front and a police officer stopped me and asked me if I lived here. I told him I lived here and he said that you have six weeks to change your license plate over if New Jersey is your permanent residence. I just want to pass this on to my fellow tenants and people of New Jersey. If you move from Pennsylvania or other states you have six weeks to change your license plates over.
—Cape May
When will ShopRite deliver their papers in the mail again as we need that? Whoever is delivering them now, mine is landing in the gutter and the last two weeks I didn't get the circular from ShopRite in it. Could Shop Rite please do something about that?
--North Cape May
I went to the council meeting last night. First time I went to a meeting in North Wildwood. I couldn't believe it. Six councilmen and a president. I live outside Philadelphia. Our town is eight times as big as North Wildwood. We have four councilmen. I couldn't believe they have four fire chiefs. We have one in our town. I think they should do something about that. The mayor and president of council should resign.
—North Wildwood
In response to Pixie's letter to the editor in Sept. 2 issue. First, being a close relative to one of the girls I'm not sure how much can be said contractually. However, I can say your letter was very thoughtful and appreciative. The girls' disappointment was a only a brief moment in what was a terrific experience overall. Your letter only makes it better. Now how about it Cape May County? The Pixie Sticks are all from here. Let’s flood the Spout Off with positive cheers for the girls.
—Cape May County
The Wildwood Crest beaches are the best beaches in the world. We don't need beach tags and we don't need vending or ice cream vending or vending of any kind. It's just fine the way it is.
—Wildwood Crest
I was pleased to see Sept. 2, as the Herald was being delivered to Court House Surgery Center a young man who was helping the driver with delivery. A soda bottle fell out of the truck. The young man went in helped deliver the paper and when he came back out he went back and picked that soda bottle up and took it with him. That's helping to keep our world clean and taking care of his own mistakes. That was wonderful to see in this day and age.
—Court House
This is a message for all senior citizens and the disabled. You know Gov. Corzine wanted to take away the Homestead Rebate for the Senior Citizens and the disabled also? Just remember this when Election Day comes up. Like I said if it was up to him it would all be gone. Remember, nothing is temporary when it comes to politics.
—Villas
A shameful thing was done by a restaurant owner to a young, straight A-student in high school looking for employment to help his education. Told he was hired and to get the proper clothing. Black, including shoes, to work as a bus boy. He did so. Came back worked one hour, told to go home and get long sleeves. Sent home again next day because they did not have enough business. Next day sent home because they were too busy. After many phone calls. Never heard back from this restaurant.
—Stone Harbor
Regarding fair government healthcare: "F" is fatal allocation. "A" for age discrimination. "I" is for incredible waiting. "R" is for runaway spending. No end of the line for seniors. Equality for all ages.
—Cape May Beach
I see Fredericks has gotten to the Spout Off paper. Always said this paper was biased. There were a number, and I mean a number, of Spout Offs against this man. All we have in the paper this week are positives. I guess this won't get printed.
—West Wildwood
(ED. NOTE: Not bias, saving space, when one says it all.)
We now know that the lot on First Avenue owned by the president of City Council was subdivided. The front portion of this lot will still be able to be used for building while the back portion will be sold for open space. This is another example of New Jersey politics as usual. What a sweet deal.
—North Wildwood
Kudos to Mayor Troiano and Commissioner Davenport. What a wonderful street fair and great Sunday night concert. This past week was awesome.
—Court House
There was an incident a few years back where somebody got beat up by a bunch of guys. I understand one of them is going to be correction's officer or police officer. How can that be if they have a record? I don't get that. Shows a little bit of partiality here.
—West Cape May
To all the people having trouble with garbage cans on garbage day call Curbside Can Service (609) 741-5114. They take your garbage cans out to the curb the night before garbage day and return them.
—North Wildwood
Can these people that have the reserved parking signs in front of their house rent the parking spots to tourists and make a profit? Isn't that the same thing as renting their house and giving renters the space to park as they raise their rent to cover the expense of the so-called free parking? Has the parking commission looked this into?
—Cape May
If it's not broken, please don't fix it. Why are some on city council pushing for commercial development of JFK Boulevard? No other Cape May County community has such a lovely entrance, with a view of the ocean. They'll be sorry when a McDonald's replaces the playground.
—Sea Isle City
Why didn’t the Herald publish significant details regarding the demolition of the Twin Turrets -- such as whether it was bought by a private owner or a developer who will build and resell the property, who that company or individual is, how long the house was on the market, the asking price and purchase price. Most of this information is in the public record, but a newspaper serves a community by printing all of the associated facts.
—Stone Harbor
(ED NOTE: Deed document dated May 4, 2009 on file at the Cape County Clerks Office states that the property was sold for $3.7 million by Donald Swartz to Roger Holland, Trustee of the Charles Avery Holland Trust for the Family of Roger Holland.)
Can you tell me why there is so much for the local kids in the rec and yet no one is there? Why is it you don’t run an ad in the Herald to say what’s going on? The only ad I see is the reunion every year is in there, and that is no big deal. You promise the people a lot to get the money Oprah gives you, but nothing is done. New pool tables computers and the kids still can’t come in.
—Whitesboro
To add to the spouter from last week about those that are opposed to the veterans park improvements, take your "bear" with you when you leave.
—Sea Isle City
The council is a joke. One member has amnesia at the most opportune times. He votes against the budget, but votes for millions and millions of dollars for bonds and other spending.
—Sea Isle City
I agree the McHale school board needs to go not only for our children but to save our town from the some big mistakes. Bad appointment to a person that half the time didn't know he was at the meeting.
—Sea Isle City
I heard the guy with the election magnetic signs is dusting them off for another run for council. Please do us a favor, find a new hobby.
—Sea Isle City
Who needs a beautification committee? Who are they to tell us what we need? Give us a break
—Townsends Inlet

Another summer ends with the beach patrol chief crying no more money for lifeguards. Maybe it’s time the city got a new chief
—Wildwood
Lynn at the Cape May City Post Office is always so pleasant; even when there is a long line of unhappy patrons. (and there usually is a line, since the P.O. seems understaffed). Lynn is still polite and calm and we love seeing her there. See you again soon.
—Tranquility
Most of the owners should be supporting the recall effort. Did we all forget the great job that constructions inspectors did under Troiano's and Davenport's watch? Condo porches that detach, poor construction approvals, many condos not up to code and they’re still in office. All the money that is being spent on police officers, the drugs are rampant, underage drinking and robberies at motels and in our streets. What is all the money being spent by our government doing for the residents of Wildwood? The people of Wildwood need to take action now.
—Wildwood
Fredricks and McNamara are costing us money. They have turned on those who voted for them. Chuck and Gerry you should step down. What’s next Chuck? Will you and your only fan, Maria, go after the other commissioner? Stop hurting West Wildwood. Gerry, you should wake up before it’s too late and your leader puts the blame on you. It might be too late.
—West Wildwood
To the person complaining about the nice citizen’s yard: Please stop. Her property is none of your business. And even if she didn't keep it clean, you should keep to yourself, not spread potential embarrassment. And about the awful remark, I’m sure you're not 100 percent beautiful. Keep your rotten, harsh opinions to yourself. You wouldn't like it if someone made fun of your appearance, so please mind your own business and look in the mirror. Maybe she should leave her dogs in your yard.
—Villas
Kudos to the mayor of Stone Harbor for wanting to beautify the welcoming corner of her town. Shame on the mayor of Wildwood for permitting the disgrace of the blight that welcomes visitors to his town for the five years we've owned in the Wildwoods. And Stone Harbor's taxes are less? Recall is my unsolicited vote.
—Wildwood
Will the Italian restaurant near the 7-11 please stop dropping off menus at peoples’ houses? I now have received 15 copies.
—Sea Isle City
I know the weather has played a major role in the delay of pumping sand; who will pay this?
¬—Townsends Inlet
I can't stand the people who spout off about problems in their neighborhoods, and how its been going on all summer, and when are the cops going to do something about it. Cops are busy especially in the summer. They don't have all this spare time to drive up and down the block looking for people who are living out of trailers or the trash or whatever you been complaining about.
—Cape May
I can see why taxes keep going up. Every weekday morning at roughly 8:15 a.m., there is a female driving a Wildwood vehicle to her job. Why do the taxpayers have to foot the bill for one of the mayor’s cronies that reside in North Wildwood?
—Wildwood
I agree with the spouter about the able bodied young lady on 26th Avenue about not needing a handicapped placard for herself if she can go out and mow the lawn. The city or whoever is regulating the issuance of these cards should take a look into this matter.
—North Wildwood
Who is the head coach of the Middle's JV Football Team? Is it Coach Murray? Or is it Coach Lewis? I can't tell.
—Whitesboro
What qualities make a good coach? A good coach must be able to inspire and motivate their players. A good coach should exemplify leadership, consistency, fairness, honesty, integrity, compassion, organization, and vision. These qualities along with good communication skills and a love for and knowledge of the game of football make for a great coach.
—Middle Township
I do believe that our new sheriff has found the fabled money tree, because he has been spending it like he has. The biggest waste of taxpayers money is the pedestrian decoy operation in the middle of Court House on a busy Monday afternoon. I can't believe that this ridiculous show did not cause an accident with all the traffic backed up in both directions. Now he has gone and hired one of his old buddies from OCPD to ride a horse in the park all day. Yet another example of wasted taxpayers money.
—Court House
(ED. NOTE: Mounted patrolling in County Park is Friday, Saturday, and Sunday through November.)
I feel putting that new (huge) sign at the end of the parkway was a waste of money. There are already plenty of signs warning the parkway is ending. Why wasn't the money spent more wisely? The intersection needs to be redone. Route 109 needs to come straight out to the light instead of curving to a merge. In my opinion it is a pretty simple solution to just make a four-road intersection. The room is there; why waste money putting "band aids" on a bad intersection?
—Cape May

I know the past few weekends the weather has been playing havoc for boating and fishing, therefore I decided to call some local party boats to see if they were anticipating going this weekend before I make the trip down. Why they can't just give a simple answer like "Yes, we're planning on going and if we get enough people,” instead of being flippant about it? After all, we are your bread and butter.
—Philadelphia
The new American Flag flying over the Moose Lodge looks great. Keep up the good work Mark and Ed.
—North Wildwood
All the costs, all the closed time and look at the lake at Rio Grande and Park Boulevards. Not five minutes of rain, not even much rain and the intersection is flooded. I thought county and local engineers approved that roadwork. Come on over and see us row out to the center of the streets. The street is too much higher than the properties and not much if anything was gained for all the dollars spent.
—Wildwood
To the guy in the 200 block of East Andrews. Thanks for the fireworks displays. Maybe the city will hire you for the Fourth of July job. Keep up the good work.
—Wildwood
To Wildwood Crest Code Enforcement: Please check out the home on Myrtle that construction has stopped. The outside is not being taken care of - all high weeds and trash and electric lines hanging.
—Wildwood Crest
I am appalled by the lack of respect/patriotism demonstrated throughout North Wildwood concerning the death of Sen. Ted Kennedy. The only American flag I found lowered to half-staff as a tribute to his public service at a public building or local social club was the Moose Lodge. Not even the flag used on the boardwalk for the 10 a.m. national anthem was lowered. No matter what one’s political affiliation is; or agreement/disagreement with his record, Kennedy dedicated more than 50 years of his life pursuing justice, fairness and opportunity for all. God bless America.
—North Wildwood
Wow, I was grossly mistaken as I always thought there was no difference between Congress and organized crime. There is a huge difference, organized crime is more efficient e.g. Give a dollar to an organized crime guy, you get your dollars worth; give a dollar to our Feds and your are lucky if you get 20 cents in return. If organized crime guys err, they get a one-way ticket to the Pinelands. If Congress errs, they can retire to a lap of luxury. Vote the bums out. My apologies to organized crime for comparing them to Congress.
—Green Creek
Regarding the Guillan/Stone Harbor fiasco: It is not about his family or his being a fireman or giving sympathy for them. This is about a selfish pubic servant who took money from employees and used it for his own, defying the laws of New Jersey, which he swore on the Bible to uphold. After voting himself health benefits, he is now against any tax increase. A smoke screen? If the mayor supports him, she is aiding and abetting such conduct. If you pay your taxes and try to do the right thing, this public servant needs to go before he again serves himself first.
—Stone Harbor
Who was the genius that decided to hold all child support payments for the next few weeks to upgrade their computer system? Don't they realize kids are going back to school next week and the payments we custodial parents receive is greatly needed right now. Please release our payments.
—Wildwood
What is up with the Press delivering a weekly eyesore? Those red bags, which contain a classified ad, a ShopRite flyer, and coupons, is a waste of paper and ugly red bags. I thought that there was an ordinance for solicitation.
—North Cape May
To the spouter that wrote in about the 72-year-old man with the Winchester in Harlem. Was he Clint Eastwood? He should loan the shotgun to Vick so he can try to win the Eagles a Super Bowl with it since it will be a cold day in :: heck :: before they win one.
—Wildwood Crest
I love the Cape May County Zoo...free and fun!
—Ocean City
I'm amazed and disappointed that so many 'locals' complain about the "shoobies" and the events that attract them. Annoying airplanes, slow bicycles, loud fireworks are just a few complaints. Cape May County would not exist without the tourism dollar. Notice we have very little industry beyond tourism and commercial fishing. For an area not bothered by visitors, try the Pennsylvania coal regions or the former steel mill towns. I understand the real estate there is very inexpensive.
—North Cape May
The beautiful, vintage home at 8626 First Ave. was torn down to be replaced by a McMansion which will have neither the class or gracious quality of this house. It is a shame that the people who chose to tear it down did not appreciate it for what it represents and shame on the town of Stone Harbor that has not had the foresight to have some type of a preservation law in place.
—Stone Harbor
A special thank you to Eric, Rich and the staff of the North Wildwood Beach Patrol for all of the care given to me last Wednesday when I injured my shoulder in the water. You were so great in alleviating the pain and getting me to the ambulance quickly. Also to the man who diligently held the umbrella over me to shield the sun. Sorry to the beach goers who so willingly moved all of their belongings to allow for my easy transport. We are lucky in North Wildwood to have a great community.
—North Wildwood
As I past through Belleplain every day on my way to and from work, I pass the local fire company. It always seems to be the same three or four trucks or cars there. I have also interacted with the members of this fire company in one instance and I must say that the members of this volunteer fire company were very helpful. I want to thank all of them for serving the community and doing what most won’t or can't. Also a special thanks to the leader of this group. Whatever you are doing seems to be working. Keep up the good work and stay safe.
—Dennis Township
Sea Isle just passed a new law ... if you can't afford a room just stay on one of the many benches around town.
—Sea Isle City
How can Cape Regional pay all the smokers to leave the hospital time and time again? I work across the street and see the same people all the time. I want to work there so I can get 10 breaks a day.
—Middle Township
To Chuck Lewis, your fight for life with your son is the greatest love we have seen. God is with you. We are all still praying. Take care of yourself also.
—Court House
Lower Schools do all their hiring for teachers based on nepotism. If you look at the teachers that work for them you will notice that a family member works there as well. I thought this was against the law. For the last three years I have applied for teaching jobs, and not once have gotten called for an interview.
—Cape May
I wish to thank Chris at the Lobster House for finding my lost wallet and contacting me by phone so I could get it back. It's wonderful to know that there are still honest people out there who care about others.
—Cold Spring
Thanks to the thief who took off with my bicycle on 32nd Street. It was my only means of transportation and how I got to work everyday. If you know of the whereabouts of this blue beach cruiser with rusty rims, locks, and a new headlight, please drop it off at the police station; no questions asked. I don't feel like spending my hard- earned money on another bike.
—Avalon
The first thing the experts from Temple should tell Cape May officials is that the 14 percent tax on rooms but not weekly rentals did a great job of harming the B &B and hotel/motel industry and that tax is a major road block to their dream of bringing short conventions to Cape May. They don’t know that short conventions are being replaced with Web conferences.
—Cape May
To the ignorant comments about the LCMR football team, you obviously are not helping the problem by contributing your negativity towards the team and the coaches. Maybe if the kids, as well as the coaches, saw some positive support it would probably help. You wonder why they don't win…maybe because the parents lack parenting skills to teach them discipline as well as enforcing them to do their hardest.
—Cape May
Rosalie Begley's Aug. 26 letter to the editor concerning Middle Township's "Shame" hit the nail on the head. I have been a property owner in the Manor for 23 years. I do not particularly care about the poor condition of the main thorofare, limited streetlights, no sidewalks or storm drains, or other of the numerous municipal shortcomings. What I do care about is the excessive tax burden the township places on us.
—Avalon Manor
In his Aug. 26 "Woodstock Mentality" piece, Jack Fichter reports that a high percentage of America's youth favor Obama and "disagree that the federal government is wasteful and inefficient." He notes that those of us no longer considered youths think otherwise. I suggest that Fichter check back with these youths after they have spent a few more years in the work force, paying taxes and supporting families. Let's see what they have to say then about government's frugality and efficiency.
—Avalon Manor
Who is running Stone Harbor? Why is it that they pay a policeman to sit in his car and monitor whether my dog is on a leash and yet they let people knock down historical homes without anyone watching?
—Stone Harbor
It is so nice to know that the Public Schools in Cape May County are fair in their hiring practices of new teachers. One only needs to be under age 25 and fresh out of college to secure a new position. I guess this is affirmative action at it's best. Beware Cape May County, the Department of Education has been contacted regarding this matter and is currently looking into alleged discrimination in Cape May County Public Schools.
—Court House
The annual block party at Fox Park is a great idea however the entertainment selection committee needs due diligence when selecting their performers. While the groups Bandstand and TRU were excellent, Kate Westin and Martha and the Vandellas were difficult to listen to they were so bad. I'm sure the city paid top dollar to bring them in from Detroit, however they need to listen to any group before they are booked. They can't make decisions on " name only."
—Wildwood
My cousin dropped her wallet in Canal's parking lot and a gentleman contacted her to return it. Twice my boyfriend has lost his wallet. Once, a Walgreen’s employee returned it and the second time a couple of 14-year-old girls returned it. Nothing was missing on any occasion. Hooray for good, honest people. My absent-minded social circle is very grateful.
—Wildwood Crest
I wanted to spout off about what a great job the Crest Beach Patrol has done over the past two weekends. My family sits between lifeguard stations 9 and 10, and the guys did a great job of not only pulling people out of the rough water but also communicated with everyone on the beach explaining where the rip currents were and what to do if you were caught in one. Great job on a busy weekend.
—Philadelphia
I'd like to commend the Wildwood Crest Beach Patrol for doing a great job with a very limited staff the past couple weeks. Keep up the good work.
—Washington Township

Here's a suggestion re: Cape May beach box rentals; next year don't rent. Spend the summer lugging your chairs, umbrellas, and beach toys every day. To me, it's a rare privilege to have a service available to avoid that task, and I can certainly figure out how to get my chair dry on a day that is 85 and sunny. PS: If you need something fixed, have you tried asking Steve?
—Cape May
I went to 96th Street last Saturday for the sidewalk sale, and although I looked high and low there was not one sidewalk for sale. This is false advertising. They should call it the Stuff Merchants Could Not Sell All Summer Sale.
—Stone Harbor
(ED. NOTE: It is properly called the Merchants Day Sale.)
An Aug. 12 letter to the Herald referred to “tree-hugging environmentalists.” Guess who’s going to get a warmer reception at the Pearly Gates – tree huggers who love, appreciate, and respect God’s creation, or asphalt-adorers, steel-smoochers, concrete-kissers, and fossil-fuel fornicators who willfully rape and defile His creation for profit and/or pleasure?

—Seaville
I guess city hall decided not to take a dime from the chief’s salary and just lay off lifeguards before Labor Day. What a smart move. I hope Davenport gets voted out for this recall.
—Wildwood
To the spouter who ran into the phony Navy seal: Years ago there was a lifeguard down here that also claimed to be a Navy Seal. This fellow even claimed a shark ate his teammate. I knew the family of this fellow and it is a disgrace. These people must be mentally ill or they have some other defect. Either way they could never be qualify for, or pass, the training. Part of the Seal tradition is that they never look down on those that tried and failed. These phonies are just sick.
—Middle Township
Political life in Stone Harbor is a never ending story. The councilman, in trouble for not paying his taxes, is a great example. He has certainly made sure that most residents know his name and problems. He is lucky that he has not had criminal charges brought against him. Not only has he brought shame to himself and the town, but also he let down his family. It is amazing what people will do, just to save his family health insurance.
—Stone Harbor
What’s with the tons of litter on the shoulders of the road on Route 47 going into and out of Wildwood?
—Stone Harbor
Nice to see money well spent on the recycle area on Spicer Avenue. The attendant "Bear" is so helpful and an asset to the city. It's a pleasure to go to a clean and organized location. Thanks mayor.
—Wildwood
Kudos to the beach patrolwoman charged with blocking Jackson Street to the parade route Saturday. Jeers to the Pa. Mercedes driver who insisted he was too special to abide by the blockaded road. He harassed this woman for a good 15 minutes while she awaited back-up from Cape May police. Jeers to the Cape May patrolman who decided to let this man have his way. He alone got to drive down Beach Avenue just before the parade. Sad that we reinforced his poor behavior.
—Cape May/Turnersville
I just wanted to thank our public works for their great job this weekend dealing with floodwater caused by the heavy rain.
—West Wildwood
To the mayor of North Wildwood: Did you ever terminate the recreation center employees for the business they were running for a profit while on city time? It's been a while with no print on the matter, which tells us taxpayers that you are only sweeping this issue under the carpet. Please, be a mayor of substance and not the same ol -same ol that you replaced.
—North Wildwood
I think that the council president should put the house for sale on the market and list it with a realtor. Let's see how long the house stays for sale like the rest of us trying to sell our properties. While the basic property owner has to wait 6 to 12 months before a sales takes place, the council president has the inside connection so the city will buy the property.
—North Wildwood
I agree with the spouter who wants to keep the underage kids with fake IDs out of the bars. The owners have spent a lot of money fixing up the bars and providing good food and entertainment for adults. I don't wont to have some kid spilling their beer on my shoes while they jump around and pretend to be "legal age." I support the bar owners and if these kids break the law they should pay the penalty
—Wildwood
I think it is so rude when people leave their cars unattended at a gas station. I was recently at Wawa this past weekend and there were seven cars that were empty and just left at the gas pump. My family and I waited at least 25 minutes at a gas pump because none of the other pumps were available. If you have to go inside, please have some courtesy and park in a parking spot.
—North Wildwood
Congrats to Coach Reid and the Eagles. Mike Vick is great and should really help the team. I've never liked pit bulls very much anyway.
—Lower Township

To the people who can’t stop crying in Wildwood Crest, especially the one about painting curbs. Get a life will you? You mean you can’t find anything better to complain about? You must sit at home all day thinking about what to whine about. The DPW employees do a great job we all should thank them.
—Wildwood Crest

A recent letter to the editor objected to the completion of Route 55 citing environmental impact. This person has large parcels of environmentally sensitive wetlands for sale. It seems as though he is only concerned with the environment if there is no personal profit motive for himself.
—Dennisville
Anyone know the guy who had his Doberman on the beach and in the water at the Central Avenue curve this past Sunday afternoon? Obviously, he feels above the law considering he had to walk past the sign indicating the ordinance for no dogs or cats on the beach from May to October. There are a lot of dog owners who would love to bring their dogs to the beach but we are law-abiding residents. Also, shame on the NWBP and NWPD for not enforcing the law.
—North Wildwood
The spouter from Stone Harbor/Media does not like how we the locals sit on the beach. Move, you’re only here for 120 days at the most. We live here year round, Why should we change because of you? We do not come down here and want everything our way like you do. I own a house down here so I must have the locals my backside to please me. I also do not like the laws locals pass, so I will make up my own. News flash, if you do not vote down here, learn to obey our laws.
—Stone Harbor
To the bicycle thief (:: fool ::) who stole the bike on 10th Street Monday night and screaming "...I stole your bike..." at 3 a.m. You are today's worst person ever.
—Avalon
Mr. Haines’ letter about the war memorial is a joke. The issue is not about the proud service and sacrifice of veterans nor the charitable works of the VFW. There was never any public mention of rebuilding the War Memorial until it was announced at the Council Meeting. All of the prior meetings were secret.
—Sea Isle City
Any one know why there is a star every night at the same spot over Sea Isle and Atlantic City early a.m. that never completes its orbital path? Just wondering.
—Sea Isle City
Why is it when I go to public bathrooms at casinos, restaurants etc. some men leave the urinal before me and they never flush the toilet and just walk away? Do they live like this at home? Why don’t you people try to have a little class? And also tell your kids to pull their pants up in public and wear a belt. We are getting sick of seeing their underwear.
—Court House
Save taxes. Reduce state salaries, and local public official’s salaries. If they don’t like it, then give the job to someone who will like it and be happy about it. After all, it’s our money, so let’s have a say. I lose my job overnight, so they raise my property taxes so they can have a cost of living increase with health benefits and a nice pension plan. Get rid of high over paid state employees and give the jobs to unemployed people for half the salaries.
—Court House
No county jobs available except for a few elite who suddenly retire…people who will be granted a second pension check. They just keep raising our taxes and not sharing the jobs with us regular people. It’s obvious, it’s in the papers every week who’s getting the good jobs and the raises in our local government. If you don’t have family in local or state government, you will never get a job there. Taxpayers are losing jobs while government and state gets raises and cost of living increases. They keep taking from the people when they need more money. I’m getting out of N.J.
—Cape May
Thank you to the ladies at the Cape May City Construction Department. You all rock, thanks for guiding me through the process. Anyone who gets upset with city politics, remember we have some shining stars in there.
—Cape May
To the residents in Avalon Manor: Is anyone else annoyed with the roads back there? They are just awful. and when it rains it is worse. We need to get together and fight for new paved roads. Does anyone else agree?
—Avalon Manor
Oh great, they closed down Bennett Avenue house; only took three years. Now how about East Hildreth Avenue? Many complaints, trash all over (never a fine), running a day care out of there, absentee landlord, what’s up with that? Come on, let’s clean up this town.
—Wildwood
Many thanks to the mayor, his administration, police, firemen, and volunteers for their wonderful efforts in successfully locating our lost resident last week. Their organization and perseverance continued until he was located and returned to his family. Everyone in Avalon could not have been more proud of the way this emergency was handled. Thank you.
—Avalon
Now that the Villas Lumber Company is closed, what is going to happen to it? One day I hear it’s going to be a Walgreens and the next someone said, CVS. Does anyone really know what is going to become of it or will it just sit there until the next fire or car accident?
—North Cape May
To all the constant complainers and rumor mongers in Avalon, life is way too short for such negativity.
Fill your glass...with a smile.
—Avalon
What a wonderful back to school night for the upper grades at Our Lady Star of the Sea School on Aug. 26. If this school had been run this efficiently in the past we would have maintained our Blue Ribbon School of Excellence status, and we wouldn't be dealing with the current situation of school closure in 2010.
—Cape May
More proof sunspots control the climate. A new study in the American Geophysical Union's journal, Eos suggests we are entering another quiet phase similar to the Little Ice Age’s Maunder Minimum. In the Journal of Science the National Center for Atmospheric Research has discovered why increased sunspots have a dramatic effect on the weather. Turns out sunspots heat our stratosphere, which in turn amplifies the warming of the climate. We just went 51 straight days without a sunspot. The 96-year-old record is 53 days without a sunspot and preceded one of the coldest winters.
—Sea Isle City
Why does the Anglesea Fire Company on Third and New Jersey Avenue permit the cars and trucks to use their lot to park, while customers go to the Wawa? On weekends, it is total chaos on that corner. If they support this why not get the police to direct the traffic in this dangerous intersection? Cars u-turn and double park and block driveways in order to get to the store. The police also use the lot while they "run into the Wawa." Isn't this lot for the use of the volunteer fire company members?
—North Wildwood
I agree, hiring a friend of the sheriff as a mounted officer is a waste of our money. Why not use the money for the drug or the gang problem in the jail, or even better use the money to build onto the jail for officers’ safety? I guess doing that won't get the sheriff's name in the paper. I am now sorry I didn't vote for the other guy that ran against him.
—Cape May County
Seniors/retirees, do you not understand what the logic behind the start of Social Security was? It was created to give older people a break in the last 4-7 years of their life. When it was first implemented the average lifespan was about 70 years for a female, 68 for a male. Decades later the average lifespan for both is well over those numbers; yet people are still beginning to collect at an early age. You aren't even collecting money that you have paid in, you are now taking my money; and I want it back.
—Villas
Why is it that trash/recycling starts at 7 a.m. and is significantly louder than almost all construction type equipment, and yet no construction/landscaping type work can be done before 8 a.m? It is so unpleasant almost every Wednesday morning to have my nine-month-old awakened up by the obnoxious noise of men yelling to one another, throwing cans, and just the general noise from the trucks. Working 8-4 rather than 7-3 can't be that big of a deal, they'd probably rather the extra hour sleep.
—Lower Township
I liked Mayor Desiderio's comment at the unveiling of the mounted patrol at Cape May County Park. —Sea Isle City
As a person very familiar with working "summer" jobs at local small retailers, I can say with 100 percent certainty that almost all employers hold out for foreigners. The jobs do not have to pay as many/same type of taxes. And often times get a kick back in their taxes from hiring these foreigners. And then many of them help these kids out to illegally stay in the country. It's ridiculous.
—Cape May
Why does the Arc of Cape May County Thrift Shop think they are a Macy’s?
—North Wildwood
If it wasn’t for Oprah coming to Whitesboro once a year, the grass would never be cut.
—Court House
Again 40th Street in SIC has been disrupted. First, a few years back we were informed the ground under the 200 block of 39th and 40th are contaminated and our homes would be bulldozed or moved. (Still pending outcome). Second, the city buys a home from 39th, moves it to 40th and Central for office space; Third, in an attempt recently to find relaxation and enjoy the beach, we go the 40th Street beach to find out it's closed for beach redevelopment.
—Sea Isle City
Whooppeee! According to the Associated Press BP has found a giant oil field 240 miles off of Texas that could replace $100 billion worth of imported oil. Let's start a betting pool on how long it will take the federal government to put the field off limits for drilling. By the way the Russian oil companies are renown for their oil spills and ruined beaches. Guess who the Chinese have contracted to drill 45 miles off of Florida in Cuban claimed waters? Our companies have a stellar record, even in hurricanes, and they are restricted from drilling. Drill here, drill now.
—Erma
It is ironic that Stone Harbor residents are so upset about their councilman and his tax problems, but aren’t bothered about our Congressmen who are tax delinquents (and still holding office) i.e. Charlie Rangle, Tom Daschle (who did resign and is working now as a lobbyist) and the numerous celebrities who have been found to be tax evaders.
—Dias Creek
If thousands of years ago our ancestors had listened to the counterparts of today’s fossil fuel addicts, we’d still be generating heat and light by rubbing two sticks together.
—Cape May County
Attention all property owners in Wildwood who are sick of the yearly tax increases: Now is your chance. Register to vote making Wildwood your primary residence. Every vote is needed. Don’t complain again if you don’t vote.
—Wildwood
To the grateful spouter who was arrested in North Wildwood at 3 a.m. for eating a hoagie and drinking iced tea: I am sure that you are leaving out quite a bit of the story, but that is only natural. Try acting the same in another town and I am sure that you will be back here complaining about another officer. Enjoy the rest of your summer.
—North Wildwood
I counted four "Spout Offs" about the demolition of that fine old house on 87th and First in Stone Harbor. Funny thing, all four thought it was tragic. When will these shore towns start worrying about historic preservation? Cape May seems to be the only place where historic homes are valued. How can anyone feel anything except resentment at the buyer, who would tear down a classic just to build another 'ticky-tacky' house? I guess they are so insecure, they just have to show off their wealth with an oversized, tasteless box.
—Avalon
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cape May County Forum Forum Index -> Spout Off - The PRINTED EDITION All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: