Cape May County Forum
Cape May County Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile      Log inLog in 

Spout Off Print Version - 6/18 - 6/24

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cape May County Forum Forum Index -> Spout Off - The PRINTED EDITION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Spout Off Print Version - 6/18 - 6/24 Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Last Wednesday evening at the com-missioner’s meeting, Mayor Troiano stated that the proposed budget, which recommends a 30 percent local purpose tax increase, was as lean as possible, and if anyone could find a way to cut it, he would be glad to listen. Listen-ing seems to be all he intends to do as one person after another suggested ways to cut the budget. The next day copies of the budget were released for public viewing. Not too much of a sur-prise were line item increases in sala-ries as much as 25 percent. The tax assessor’s budget increase being one of the largest.
— Wildwood
To add to the Spouter about the city services, maybe the change needs to be at the head of Public Works. Maybe an in town director would make more sense. I have been to meetings and heard him speak. Mr. Mayor, please get us someone in there that cares about us.
—Sea Isle City
Cut the budget, check cell phones, who has a vehicle and why, how much gas are they using? Council has phones why? Why do the police have a phone they have two ways? We keep talking about saving money. Isn’t it true if the township cut the budget our taxes still go up because of the school budget that was already passed? Why do we have two assistant superintendents? The school is not that big. Save money. Why does the town have two captains? I thought the captain was the one in charge. Why two?
—Villas
That was great that the tramcar rolled back rides for 10 cents for the 60th annivesary. Of course, when we asked the old guy working there on the tram car a question, we got a remark of "It's my first day, I don't know anything." He is doing a great job promoting Wildwood and that is the last time we'll ride the tramcar.
—Wildwood
I find it disheartening that some people make snide remarks about the painful mistakes, unwise decisions and sad misfortunes of others.
— Stone Harbor
Thanks a lot Crest Haven Nursing Home for approving the recent contract for only 5 percent. Don't you know that the cost of living has surpassed that amount ten fold? Don't you realize that the union and freeholders are in cahoots? The freeholders and Stephen O'Connor made a bad move the last contract vote. Remember this next time. The freeholders and O’Connor are not our friends.
—Wildwood
I agree with the other Spouters about the City Of North Wildwood enclosing the benches at the beach. It is a real inconvenience to get around, and it is like sitting in a cage. We are forming a protest group called Families Against Restrictive Travel. Please sign our peti-tion at the Fourth Street beach.
— West Wildwood
Now that the Leonard’s bridge is having deck work done, when is the 30th Street canal bridge going to get the deck done? Also, the lovely piece of Ocean Drive by the Townsend’s Inlet Bridge could use some attention.
—Avalon
Why do we pay for beach tags and get "unprotected" in Cape May"? What gives?
—Cape May
Why would the Cape May County Tourist Commission send a free-holder/mayor to Canada to give the Canadians tourist information when his town (Sea Isle City) it is the only shore community without a Tourist Information Center.
—Sea Isle City
Someone better check the date when the West Wildwood fireworks were canceled. The reason most people don't care for the new mayor is he has a bet-ter education than all the other resi-dents.
—West Wildwood
You"ve been duped. The "Best for Sea Isle Kids" is a sham. The campaign was promises they could not keep, There was never a deal with Ocean City. There will always be a school tax. The parents do not have to pay tuition to send students to another school dis-trict, we do. The $38,000 per student includes OC High School, the technical school ($23,000 per year), all special needs students, all bussing That num-ber has been skewed over and over. Wake up. These five board members are not out for the best for the children. They have their own agenda
—Sea Isle City
Are there any single women who work for the county, that are looking for a husband? I need a job!
—Cape May
I have been a resident on New York Avenue in North Wildwood for many years and in the last couple years it seems that the weekend overnight van-dals are getting worse. This Sunday morning, as I looked out my window for my newspaper, what did I see but one neighbor’s planter hanging from a sign and another neighbor’s flowers pulled out and thrown across their lawn. These are the low life visitors that make us pray for Labor Day so that they all go home. To the guilty parties grow up or go home. You (not all vaca-tioners) are not welcome.
—North Wildwood
West Wildwood, calling all summer residents, you now have the right to vote. Yes, you heard it right. Judge Batten has now confirmed that if it is your "intention" to live in West Wild-wood then you have a right to vote. Don’t worry you can still keep your vehicle registered and insured in Penn-sylvania, or for that fact any other state that you live in. Income taxes are not a problem either. Today Judge Batten has spoken and voter fraud is now allowed and supported by our county judicial system. Megan’s Law violators also welcome. What a great county we live in.
—West Wildwood
Judge Batten needs to be investi-gated. There is no way people who live in Philly can be allowed to vote in New Jersey.
—West Wildwood
(ED. NOTE: The judge makes a fac-tual determination based on the evi-dence presented where a person main-tains residency.)
If the police aren't going to enforce the crosswalk laws, can they at least obey them?
—Sea Isle City
I would like to get a job with the town of North Wildwood when the mayor buys all the department heads brand new vehicles on our taxes, free gas and allowed to use whenever they want to. Must be nice. Our taxes go up and they live like kings. Maybe the mayor should let all residents fill their tanks up.
— North Wildwood
I applaud the efforts to fix the bird sanctuary, however the skunks have taken over our property. I can't sit out front anymore, or allow my grandchil-dren to play outside. I have called the borough and was told by animal control they will not attempt to trap the skunks unless they nest on my property. I be-lieve the committee was overzealous in their pursuit to attract birds with no concern for our residents’ safety. Let’s not allow the skunks to trespass on our property. Let’s trap them and move them to a safer place for all.
— Stone Harbor
There has been a sign on the Leaming Avenue bathroom on the Boardwalk for the past month reading "Closed due to cleaning." It's obvious that there are major renovations being done there (great timing, as the summer starts). How about a sign that directs people to the nearest facility and a realistic date of when the Leaming Avenue bathroom will be open? (Labor Day?)
—Wildwood
Now that the first high rise has got-ten the ever elusive CAFRA approval, I think the Herald should run a contest to guess the date when ground is bro-ken for the project. My guess is March 1, 2013.
—Wildwood
What ever happened to the annual "Polka Festival by the Sea" held at the Convention Center around this time every year? I enjoyed stopping at the Oceanic to listen and dance to the pol-kas. There always was a nice, well-mannered crowd there.
—Wildwood
Skimmer weekend was a great family event. One thing was missing, Miss Irene. We will miss her. Thanks for a great service.
—Sea Isle City
Horrible first impression: The first house you see after crossing the bridge to Avalon on Ocean Drive had piles of bagged garbage, not in cans, for the entire weekend. Leaving garbage in plastic bags is both an eyesore and a health hazard since birds, etc. tear them open. Avalon needs to do a much better job of mandating the use of cans and fining violators.
—Avalon
To all the champions of SICPS, did you happen to know the family with a child needing special attention in school? They moved to Ocean City so the child could attend that school. These people moved from Estelle Manor. They were raving about how the child progressed. I guess SIC having a top-flight school didn't impress them enough to move to SIC. What makes you think others will move here when OC provides better schooling? Some of the diehards make use of schools out of town but want SICPS to remain open for other reasons. Save the jobs forget the kids!
—Sea Isle City
Typical Democrat thinking, Sen. Lau-tenberg is going to the solve the oil problem. How he wants the oil compa-nies taxed more, they are now the highest taxpayers in the country. This idea sure won’t help you with the gas prices; only give the Congress more money to waste. Maybe some people are right age does matter he wants to get elected resign and financial wizard Corzine will appoint a senator to his liking denying the citizens a voice.
—Sea Isle City
Sunday I noticed that the old mall had two things the new does not. The first was a shady spot to sit. And the second was people. This scenario will probably be repeated on rainy days, when some of the now-departed "inap-propriate" trees provided a degree of shelter from all but the heaviest down-pours. I guess the logic is that you can't be shopping if you're sitting. Besides, who needs comfort when you can look at the overabundance of red brick and lampposts - and two foun-tains?
—Cape May
I would just like to say goodbye one last time to Alice Cherry. She was my English teacher in Teitelman years ago. She recently passed away. Not only was she many students' favorite teacher, but also arguably the best teacher in the world. She was so full of joy and admi-ration. Her enthusiasm for teaching and life was so great. She will be sadly missed and never forgotten for she touched so many lives. May she rest in peace.
— North Cape May
Despite repeated petitions by many U.S. citizens, our congress has turned deaf ears to our calls and has done ab-solutely nothing to close our borders. An estimated 12 million illegal immi-grants continue to live here and benefit from our lack of resolve to enforce our immigration laws. By way of contrast, other nations are starting to recognize that they must do something to protect their citizens. France, for example, has set standards for the number of illegals, which authorities must ferret out, ar-rest and expel. There is no reason why our Congress could not take the same type of common sense action.
— Avalon
Here's to the lady who has taken it upon herself to beautify a corner of our world. At Fulling Mill Road and Bay-shore Road, there is a planter with mosaic tiles. Last week, in the extreme heat, this lady took the time to plant and lovingly arrange a most colorful array of flowers. Thank you, whoever you are! I found your gesture heart-warming.
—Villas
Just because you build a ridiculously huge house on the 18th Street beach does not mean you own the dunes, too. Please respect the dunes. They are the only things that stand between the large house and our beautiful ocean during a storm. Although, it appears the fine for running in the dunes would be pocket change for you, maybe you could help the city afford to pump in sand so your kids would have a big-ger beach to run on rather than in the dunes.
—Avalon
To the person, a few weeks ago, that questioned whether dog owners think it's OK to walk their dogs as long as they carry a bag with them, the answer is yes I do think it's OK. As far as I know, it's not illegal to take my dog for a walk. I don't take him out with the intent of having him do his business elsewhere, I bring a bag along just in case he does. Lighten up people. Em-brace the cute puppies and dogs of the world. They might teach you a few things, namely love, acceptance, pa-tience and happiness to name a few.
—Sea Isle City
Regarding the article “Chick Flick Beats Out Good Ol' Boys Club” by An-drea Maher, she needs to lighten up. She admits she has never watched the TV series or the movie. It's entertain-ment. I attended the movie, and the women in the audience are mothers, grandmothers and responsible people serving their community and solving family problems every day. I do not think anyone in the theatre was basing their life on the TV show or movie. I would think you could find more im-portant Family Matters to base the col-umn.
—Wildwood
During the recent thunderstorm I was exiting the Acme parking lot, a trashcan was in the middle of the street. Driving south was one our high-priced security people. This public servant continued by, then a vehicle pulled to the side of the road, and the driver got out and placed the can on the sidewalk. I no-ticed the car had Pennsylvania plates Apparently we do need shoobies as our paid employees need volunteers to help them. Complain about the right people.
—Sea Isle City
Lou Corea fired? This is the best news since Mahaney won the election. Good riddance. Perhaps now our Council will hire a real public servant.
—Cape May
As a parent of children at the far end of Tampa Avenue, I would like to give you a few reasons for our children play-ing in the street. The "beautiful park" you are referring to is over six blocks away, the local dogs use it for their bathroom without being cleaned up after, and the teenagers and/or gang members are the park's residents. The speed limit on Tampa Avenue is 25 mph and our children are aware of how to respond when cars come down the road. If you are unable to drive the speed limit and unable to yield to pe-destrians, my advice to you is not to drive on Tampa Avenue.
—Villas
At last Cape May Council has made one good decision. They fired Lou Corea! What a breath of fresh air that will now sweep through Cape May City Hall as the new Mayor takes the helm. Let us hope Mayor Mahaney will con-tinue the trend and remove anyone who does not have the interest of our town at heart. Kudos.
—Cape May
Attention tourists: Welcome to North Wildwood. Please excuse our appear-ance, we could not complete all the roadwork and water main replacements due to a lack of manage-ment/planning by city officials. Until then, enjoy the rusty water and multiple detours to make your vacation a memo-rable one. Come again soon.
—North Wildwood
The new banners in the business dis-trict are OK, I guess. Too bad they didn't pick a simpler lettering font that you could actually read as you drove by .....
—Stone Harbor
It's apparent government here does not work for the people. The people work for the government. We're losing our houses our businesses and our dignity. Mayor Troiano and Mr. Dav-enport are an absolute disgrace. The only light at the end of the tunnel is that history shows us,dictators like this don't last. I can only hope and pray, we outlast them !
—Wildwood
When are the people of Wildwood going to wake up. Taxes up 25.1 cents this year. Another big raise for the po-lice again next year. And none of the debt being paid down. Try and sell your property. I worked my entire life for the American dream but ended up with the Troiano nightmare. This is an absolute disgrace.
—Wildwood
I’m so close to losing everything I don't know what to do. Thanks, Ernie.
—Wildwood
Surely the architects can come up with something more imaginative and tasteful for the Shelter Haven Resort than the rendering, which appeared in last week’s Herald. It is a prime loca-tion and deserves more than an old-fashioned looking square box.
—Avalon
I can't believe new Mayor Frederick canceled the Fourth of July celebration. This is a family-oriented town, we love the parade and fireworks. This is a total shame for the community.
— West Wildwood
Hearing a lot of bad vibes about Skimmer Weekend. People and visitors alike are complaining of being ripped off. They are saying the food prices were outrageous and parking atrocious. Many complaining that people working the event and vendors took all the parking spaces early and remained all day, depriving tourists decent parking. But what can you expect? The Tourism Commission of volunteers were fired and the Recreation Department was put in charge. This may be the last Skimmer Weekend.
—Sea Isle City
To the spouter that is not getting paid enough to afford dinner, you must be working at the same nursing home that I am. I can hardly make ends meets. When will the people at the top give us what we deserve, a fair wage?
—Wildwood
I am sick and tired of getting poorer in this town of Wildwood while certain people get richer on my dime. Someone tell me what the Moreys have done for Wildwood that's so great. Nothing. No jobs for locals, pay almost no taxes, they have destroyed our beach, and now high rises to support his pier. What has he done for this town? Noth-ing.
— Wildwood
As a resident of this beautiful bor-ough, I can't believe how much Mayor Frederick messed up this town already. We lost the Fourth of July celebration. Fire Official Speigal is being laid off on June 30. Fire Official Speigal has made the Borough of West Wildwood a profit of $300,000 in three years. Now, we as residents are going to have to pay for the State of New Jersey to run it and West Wildwood will make $0.00. Thanks, mayor!
—West Wildwood
With the largest tax increase coming to this city, people wake up and recall the mayor. Look where he took us: A paid fire depatment with more ranking officers than fire man a police dept. with more ranking officers than Atlan-tic City P.D. That’s where the money is going the average pay for fire and police is $80,000, far more than any other place. It is time for a total house clean-ing.
—Wildwood
Lower Township Council lied. Pub-licly they said they didn't want to re-duce township employees and they didn't have enough employees now. The day after they finally passed the budget they laid off the first employee. Now they are looking to possibly re-duce every department by 5 percent. Who’s next to get laid off?
—Town Bank
How can the Family Courts and Divi-sion of Youth and Family Services jus-tify their rulings after speaking to the children? The children have no rights because DYFS wants them to be put back into a situation they were re-moved from. These people that work for these agencies write and determine what they want even though its wrong information they put down. It’s all about making the state money; what a disgrace.
—Swainton
I live in Cape May Court House. It is so corrupt between the mayor, com-mitee woman the school board, even some retired school board employees. There are others on the list. It would be great if they all got exposed and do some jail time. Maybe our taxes wouldn’t be through the roof from them greasing their pockets.
— Middle Township
What a joke. Taxes up again in Wildwood. The mayor says it’s because of the past, poor budget planning. Who has been in office for the past eight-plus years? Every year it's the same thing. Wake up, Wildwood.
—Wildwood
Pretend you live in West Wildwood. You or your spouse can vote here. How do you sleep at night?
—West Wildwood
If you live in Pennsylvania, Delaware or anywhere but West Wildwood you can come down and cast your vote in the next election; it will count. You only have to have the intention of mov-ing here someday. It will count. The judge said so. Sad, but true.
—West Wildwood
The Democratic leaders in New Jersey are missing a wonderful opportunity to solve the out-of-control fiscal situation in the state. Namely, they should allow drilling for oil and gas along the coast. Newer drilling techniques allow hori-zontal drilling and some form of taxa-tion on proven reserve would help solve the state’s fiscal problems, as well as helping to reduce our foreign energy dependence.
—Avalon

It took the new mayor and his crony less than two weeks to start wasting our tax money. They sent out a mailer to each resident, paid for by us the taxpayers, trying to blame the old ad-ministration for the reason why they are not having a Family Festival this year. If that were the case why were the fireworks already booked along with all the vendors and kids activities? The fact is they didn't want the festival because it was established by the for-mer administration. Grow up. These residents aren't stupid. They will see what you are really doing.
— West Wildwood
"Our Best for Sea Isle Kids" board of education has sent out a blanket letter to Upper, Middle, Dennis, Woodbine, Avalon, and Stone Harbor, asking them to take our children off their hands. I hope whatever they promised you (the voters) is worth the price our children will pay.
— Sea Isle City
I think it's time for some house-cleaning to be done. Has anyone other than myself noticed how filthy the ceil-ing on the pavilion is at 43rd & Prome-nade? Doesn't the city have a power washer they can use to clean it up? It was like that on Skimmer Weekend, our season opener. The money saved by closing the Tourist Information Center could be used to spruce up the place.
— Sea Isle City
To the person who wanted to talk about the four-unit building on Francis Avenue, what you had to say was out of line. What gives you the right to say any of it? You don’t live in that build-ing so don’t talk about it. You have no idea what goes on there, you just go past it. You are only going by what you hear and what other people tell you, not what the people who live there have to say. Instead of writing this you should be minding your own business and staying out of other people’s business. So, to the person who wrote that, get a life and stop butting into other peoples lives.
— Villas
Today I noticed the house on the north corner of 68th & Pleasure Avenue had the curb painted yellow on the entire curve. This must be the home a city employee because the north corner of 62nd. & Pleasure has a worse condi-tion; cars parking there the rear stick-ing out because of the curve. This is an accident waiting to happen. Some child gets hurt and sues the city; this curb should be painted to prohibit parking so the people turning onto 62nd can see what’s coming the other way.
— Sea Isle City
The problem is solved. We do not need a new church. We can put up a tent on the parking lot of the old school and have a revival Mass every weekend. The bishop must like this idea as he attended a revival last week, but claims to be unable to attend func-tions for children where is expected to be. He had no trouble hob-knobbing in Washington and New York during the Pope's visit. Is he really for children?
— Sea Isle City
I'm glad to see the street cleaner daily on Park Boulevard Now if we can only get the people in the area to stop throwing their beer and soft drink containers on residents' lawns. Perhaps a trashcan every now and then on the street corners would help.
— Wildwood
With the artist rendition of what could come to the Shelter Haven lot, no wonder the board is not slam dunking this one. So let's keep out nature's beautiful sunset skyline. Talk of 25 "boutique style" rooms I'm sure will rent for some outrageous price. This town has lost all the charm that was once Stone Harbor. Quaint cottages are gone replaced with "McMansions” that are rarely occupied. Frankly, who will be here year round to use the spa or the upscale restaurant? Stone Harbor is not Beverly Hills with Rodeo Drive, and with the looks of a building like that, it never will be.
— Stone Harbor
Cape May residents now must pay $350 per year to park in front of or near their own homes. What drives this small town, small potatoes greed ma-chine? This is clearly oppression and usury. Just check what these residents pay in taxes! The Cape May government no longer has enough tourists to rip off, so they are going to steal from its residents. It is no surprise to see the plethora of For Sale signs and a relief to watch the tail lights of day trippers heading up over the bridge and out of this thieving city for good.
— Cape May
Well, taxpayers, how do you feel about subsidizing the former city man-ager his "salary" until 2010? Just look at the greedy, toothy grin on the Herald Web site. A picture says a thousand words. Fight him. Get rid of him once and for all.
— Cape May
Well so much for the city needs a school to entice young people to move into town. I hope all the school backers read Mayor Lenny's interview at the last day for St. Augustine’s in Ocean City. He raved about the school, and then said his children and his nephews were going to St. Joseph’s, Somers Point, further from SIC. He must not have much faith in SICPS or the send-ing parochial school in this area. Speak up, mayor, you feel the school is not providing an adequate education.
— Sea Isle City
Everyone out there should know about the New Jersey $1 a day insur-ance. If your vehicle is hit by one of these people, too bad. They won’t pay for your damages. I pay full coverage on my truck and in order to have it fixed I have to go after my insurance company and my insurance goes up. If you pay too much for your auto insurance, just get on Medicaid and you only pay a dollar a day, and you can hit anyone, you want and get away with it.
— Lower Township
To the Spouter that is downing our mayor and government in our borough: Look at your tax bills and compare them to other boroughs or towns. If you have that much problem with our borough government maybe you should move somewhere else. You won't be missed here.
— Avalon
Our city manager, experienced as he was in small town politics, wasn't elected to office - the council was elected to make policy. The specifica-tions for the position have to be tight-ened for the next time. There's a lot yet to be done and it will take a full-time liaison person who will have to keep councilmembers informed and ask the Governing Body for permission to carry out what he or she thinks is good for the town.
— Cape May
Does anyone know what happened to cause the "Movies on the Beach" con-cept near the Convention Center to not open this summer? I sure hope the local government and Chamber did all they could to keep this enjoyable entertain-ment option in the Wildwoods.
— North Wildwood
To all the tree-hating messy eaters: one or two napkins are enough, not one or two handfuls. When you go to Wawa to get a simple bag of chips there is no need to take all those nap-kins you end up throwing away. Re-member, less is more.
— Avalon
I agree with DeMarzo the city needs to start cutting payroll, especially the two guys that drive in a meter truck all year long. Wildwood has the highest taxes and is the dirtiest town out of all the Wildwoods. Maybe all the Wild-woods should become one town be-cause our government does not know what they are doing.
— Wildwood
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cape May County Forum Forum Index -> Spout Off - The PRINTED EDITION All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: